Started by Jrichards20, June 11, 2014, 16:55

Anonymous

Quote from: "Vietts"Nope hard top only bud

Cool thanks

nialllol

Got a price yet?

Anonymous

Getting there

Are you interested? If so please add your name to the list and state if you need a soft top catch or not. Thanks.

Anonymous

Update :

I have two suppliers looking at this for us.
1) has come back with a quote for a bolt in just like the hard dog £650
2) TR lane - this guy makes many mx5 bars and they seem popular. After showing him pics etc, he has come back with a rough price of £350 but he is on holiday at the moment, I am going to have a further discussion when he is back - and work out the spec (tubing, finish etc)

Would people pay (maximum) £400?

He is back in 2 weeks so I am trying to work out who is interested and what they need by then

mr-ed_smt

Sounds about right - would be interested in the spec though - would it be T45 tube etc?
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Anonymous

As said above, need to discuss those details with him.

mr-ed_smt

Looking forward to it - 100% in for this.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

2many2s

I have an AGI made roll bar in my road car. It was in track car but fitting it in road car now. The rear braces and diagonal both head down to the centre tunnel and mount either side of it. It has a harness bar as well and keeps the existing soft top bar. I have been cutting out sections to fit the luggage boxes and small notches in doors also. It has more space than I actually thought it would have and with a bit of care can make it look very neat.

keljon

1.Meeerrrk - no soft top (hard top only)
2. mr-ed_smt - retain soft top catch
3. Viet
4. SteveMK3 - retain soft top catch
5. Keljon - retain soft top catch but would still be interested without the catch
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

Anonymous

Thanks so far guys, good number

bschwarz

Email Shaun at SW Motorsports. One of the best cage builders in the country, something like the hard dog roll bar would be easy for him to replicate.

m http://www.swmotorsports.co.uk/contact-us/ m

Anonymous

I did, got no answer. I could call, but I have this rather annoying habit that if they don't answer emails, why should I chase them...must not want the business

bschwarz

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"I did, got no answer. I could call, but I have this rather annoying habit that if they don't answer emails, why should I chase them...must not want the business

Fair enough man, was gonna say only problem is he might be busy, usually is until racing season is out of the way.

Anonymous

Quote from: "bschwarz"
Quote from: "Meeerrrk"I did, got no answer. I could call, but I have this rather annoying habit that if they don't answer emails, why should I chase them...must not want the business

Fair enough man, was gonna say only problem is he might be busy, usually is until racing season is out of the way.

I assume that is the reason, such is the Motorsport world. But I fired the same email at about 4 cage manufacturers, he was the only one that didn't reply.

I actually found his details via his eBay ads, so I am quite surprised they offer there services via the web but don't respond to web based business.

Thanks for the heads up, all options appreciated

bschwarz

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"
Quote from: "bschwarz"

I assume that is the reason, such is the Motorsport world. But I fired the same email at about 4 cage manufacturers, he was the only one that didn't reply.

I actually found his details via his eBay ads, so I am quite surprised they offer there services via the web but don't respond to web based business.

Thanks for the heads up, all options appreciated

I've seen his inbox folder mate. Only other thing I can think of is asking Rogue who does their cages and contacting them direct to see if they can sell the rear half of the cage separately. I could be making this up but I seem to remember hearing there was a cage that fits a soft top.

stupink

Anyone seen half cages like this involved in any crashes? I'm wondering if they'd stay upright if the car was going backwards. Or if you'd just get the thing rip its rear mounts and fold in on your head if it dug in at all.
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

Anonymous

If you fancy volunteering let us know how you get on  s:D :D s:D

mr-ed_smt

I seem to a recall a few pictures on Spyderchat of MR2's with Hard Dog bars which had been rolled - they seemed to hold up very well. There are a lot of pictures on the Hard Dog website of MX5's and S2000's having been rolled with a Hard Dog bar. Granted, its not an MR2, but the design of the bar is very similar.  m http://www.bethania-garage.com/testimonials.htm m

If you apply enough force (i.e. have a bad enough crash) going in any direction, I'm sure the bar could potentially deform or fold forward - but you're unlikely to be any worse off than you would be with no bar at all! They're never going to offer the same level of protection as a full cage, but they don't have the same compromises as a a full cage. IMO, the biggest compromise of a full cage isn't that you can't use the soft top, its that unless you drive everywhere with a helmet on and harness, they would arguably be MORE unsafe in most accidents than having no cage at all.

Anonymous

Nice link thanks for that

Anonymous

Small update, nothing major - The fabricator is back from holiday now, so I am in contact to take my car to him.

I have 2 track days booked; one September, one October so we will need to work together to get the work done between those dates. I will let you guys know what is happening via this thread and with tube spec etc.

I imagine we will get the design work done and make the first one on my car, then be ready to start quoting lead times to others that are interested.

Thanks for the continued interest guys.   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

mr-ed_smt

Do you envisage this being a bar which could be purchased, shipped, and self-fitted (a la the hard dog bar), or would your guy want to fit them himself?

Anonymous

Either way, he sells mx5 ones mail order so I don't see this being any different, but he also has a workshop so if required, I assume he could fit for anyone not wanting / not able to themselves  s:) :) s:)  

I'll add that to the list of questions - thanks

Anonymous

Hey guys - update time.

everyone seems back from their holidays now, so things are moving.

My car is booked in with TR Lane Fabrication, I will be taking it to him on Saturday 27th September to discuss the specifics and leave it there for the fabrication.

Once I've got some more specific info, pics etc i'll feedback  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Update!

My car is now with TR Lane, however to make a standard sellable roll bar, Tim is going to need a standard car with soft top etc.
He is based in North Woodchester near Cheltenham.

Anyone fairly local who could act as the template?

2many2s

Just looking at those pics of the harddog one and I would trust the AGI one I sent pics of a lot more than this style. Looking at the diagonal and rear brace mount points on the hoop. Although the seat would have more movement with HD type.

Tags: