My 2001 Silver MR2 - Mr Stev3's track day now sprint roadster

Started by MrStev3, June 20, 2014, 10:21

MrStev3

Ok folks, a few weeks back I picked up a little roadster for beer money as I wanted a track car and didn't want to use my daily car.
I'm not a stranger to mr2's having owned two previously albeit in the mk2 form.

Heres one of them, cant find the other

here is my daily car :

ANYWAY

Back on topic. I plan to get started stripping her down and ordering parts asap so all the interior seats, door panels etc can be expected in the for sale section soon

So here she is as she stands at the moment

Will update this as regular as work gets done
Mitsuko the mr2
federal rsr, lenso spec c wheels, ebc turbo grooved discs, ebc yellow stuff pads, tein springs, omp trs seat, Trs harness, rogue seat frames, k&n filter, stripped out interior, toyo sports manifold, Hardtop, rouge hardtop fitting kit, ultra racing front strut brace, Ultra racing lower rear brace, matts brace , kyb shocks, cobra quad exhaust,P&p cage

Jrichards20

What exhaust has that got on it? Looks hugee. So what are the plans for the mods then?  s:) :) s:)
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

MrStev3

It has some custom exhaust that was fitted a few years ago
It's really not to my taste and will get replaced

Well here's the plan

Stripped interior with corbeau forza and harnesses
Rogue seat frames
Tien springs for athe moment
15's rather than the 17's the last owner put on
Needs a service
Panel filter
Toyo sports manifold
Hard top
Soft top completely removed
Whiteline arb
New discs and pads haven't decided which brand yet
New poly bushes
Toyo t1r I plan
Lots more
My first track day is august 16th and I don't have a lot of time off work so will be tight
Will do what I can in the time I have
£2000 is the budget I have set to get it somewhat ready
So let's see
Mitsuko the mr2
federal rsr, lenso spec c wheels, ebc turbo grooved discs, ebc yellow stuff pads, tein springs, omp trs seat, Trs harness, rogue seat frames, k&n filter, stripped out interior, toyo sports manifold, Hardtop, rouge hardtop fitting kit, ultra racing front strut brace, Ultra racing lower rear brace, matts brace , kyb shocks, cobra quad exhaust,P&p cage

Jrichards20

Sounds good. Just thought I would mention something that I have come across very recently. I see no mention of a roll cage/bar. The hardtop, is not a safety feature what so ever. Aparently the softop, has a much better roll over protection than the hardtop. If your planning on it being a track day toy, are you not thinking of putting some sort of roll over safety?
Street Triple 765 RS

MrStev3

I will be going cage or half eventually but not immediately
I have a large list of items on the radar
I didn't know that about the hardtop and soft top , I'll bare that in mind
Seems to be a large knowledge of these cars so I'm welcome to suggestion or places recommended to get my goodies from
Mitsuko the mr2

MilesH

You may want to consider some form of sump baffling as I am under the impression that the 1zz can suffer from oil starvation. Also fuel surge can be suffered if you run less than half a tank so you may want to consider some foam in the tank or just keep an eye on your fuel gauge  s:) :) s:)

Jrichards20

I think matt performance knows alot more than me, but from reading, I think its because tue hardtop is purely fibreglass, with no bars for strucural integrety so it will just shatter on inpact. Where the softtop will protect your head alot better in the event of the unthinkable  s:( :( s:( . And if its purely a trackday car, I wouldnt suggest the t1rs. Very soft sidewalls. Hope you dont think im taking control of your project  s:) :) s:)  just some advice that ive read from many others on here, and my own experience as well with tyres.
Street Triple 765 RS

MrStev3

I'm welcoming the advice
I come from subarus and no cars are the same always someone who can help
I'm glad I've had replies and hope to continue to do so
I'll have to read what others have ran and see what's recommended and if they work for me
Mitsuko the mr2

MattPerformance

Quote from: "MilesH"You may want to consider some form of sump baffling as I am under the impression that the 1zz can suffer from oil starvation. Also fuel surge can be suffered if you run less than half a tank so you may want to consider some foam in the tank or just keep an eye on your fuel gauge  s:) :) s:)

On a stock engine with regular tyre sizes you don't really get problems with either of these.  More power and more grip then you may.

Anonymous

Like the sound of your plans, pretty much the same as mine...but as I found you will probably end up doing and spending more! You should join is for the Toyota track day in July before any mods, then you can benchmark improvements from your hard work

MrStev3

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Like the sound of your plans, pretty much the same as mine...but as I found you will probably end up doing and spending more! You should join is for the Toyota track day in July before any mods, then you can benchmark improvements from your hard work

I would but I can't get anytime until august unfortunately  s:-( :-( s:-(
Yeah I know I'll end up spending a lot more always do haha
I'm sure I'll get to meet a lot of you guys well at least hope too
Mitsuko the mr2

MattPerformance

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"You should join is for the Toyota track day in July...

Tell me more???

Anonymous

l viewtopic.php?t=49865 l  

How did you miss it?!

MilesH

Quote from: "MattPerformance"
Quote from: "MilesH"You may want to consider some form of sump baffling as I am under the impression that the 1zz can suffer from oil starvation. Also fuel surge can be suffered if you run less than half a tank so you may want to consider some foam in the tank or just keep an eye on your fuel gauge  s:) :) s:)

On a stock engine with regular tyre sizes you don't really get problems with either of these.  More power and more grip then you may.

The mk3's in the mr2 Championship are all running the above and the only difference being 888's (standard power). With him building a track car I assumed there was a chance of him running semi-slicks.

MrStev3

I am going to go to semi slicks but next year as I'm quickly blowing through the budget and with holidays looking and saving for our new house I'm trying to stay within what I set myself

My seat runners from rogue arrived , excellent people to deal with
The interior is all out but kept the firewall carpet
Many of the parts are on here for sale I still have more to put up
My seat is on order I'll get harnesses second hand be cheaper
Next week I have a day off so will spend it on the car
Mitsuko the mr2

bschwarz

Baffled sumps aren't allowed in the MR2 Championship regulations. It's been queried before, standard only. Hence why I'm not doing Rockingham this weekend or next year or ever.

Anonymous

Rockingham a bit of an engine killer? If so I'll strike that one of my "must visit list"  s:D :D s:D

Jrichards20

Rockingham is anti-clockwise with long long longggggg left hand bend. so oil starvation can happen if you are running slicks because the speed and grip tends to move the oil away. But if your not running slicks i doubt one trip there will make too much of a difference, just make sure to top up your oil and monitor the pressue etc on the day.
Street Triple 765 RS

MilesH

Quote from: "bschwarz"Baffled sumps aren't allowed in the MR2 Championship regulations. It's been queried before, standard only. Hence why I'm not doing Rockingham this weekend or next year or ever.

Bill, I didn't realise that. Surely there is no performance advantage as it is simply an engine protection modification.

Do you know the reasoning behind the regulation?

(Sorry for the slight thread drift  s:) :) s:)  )

Anonymous

Quote from: "MilesH"
Quote from: "bschwarz"Baffled sumps aren't allowed in the MR2 Championship regulations. It's been queried before, standard only. Hence why I'm not doing Rockingham this weekend or next year or ever.

Bill, I didn't realise that. Surely there is no performance advantage as it is simply an engine protection modification.

Do you know the reasoning behind the regulation?

(Sorry for the slight thread drift  s:) :) s:)  )

I guess because the organisers (?) make good money from mr2 engine rebuilds?!  s:D :D s:D

bschwarz

Total thread hi-jack. Moved to PM, Miles.

MrStev3

So stuff has been ordered some has come

Waiting on rear pads
Front discs
Rear discs

And then I'll order more
Mitsuko the mr2

Anonymous

Nice  s:D :D s:D  JJC are good, I've been using them recently.

MrStev3

The seat hasnt arrived yet the brakes came today and I only ordered them tuesday so very happy with jjc seem to be very reliable    s8) 8) s8)
Mitsuko the mr2

MrStev3

The seat turned up today and also my front pads

I didn't realise but the seat came with mounts which are no good so off they go to the for sale section and ebay as I have rogue ones

Mitsuko the mr2

Tags: