Will UK lights with the "hats" removed function correctly?

Started by bluesmoke, June 23, 2014, 23:36

bluesmoke

I know imports didn't have the hats in them, but will a UK light with the hat removed spread light exactly the same as an import or is there an actual design difference with the light cups?

I ask as my import appears to have UK lights in such a condition on it.

bluesmoke

Anybody know? I'd like to be able to make a decision on replacing them when u get paid next week....

tomaky

They will there dimmers but it wont get through the MOT with a keen garage tbh not worth the effort removing.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

bluesmoke

Damn. So I will need to replace the lights then. In what way do the UK lights differ from the imports, besides the hats?

bluesmoke

Can anyone else give any input on this before I start buying replacement headlights?

Will having the hats missing really make the UK lamp operate differently to a normal import lamp?

tomaky

You got a fl or pre fl?
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

bluesmoke

PFL.

bluesmoke

Anyone else able to offer any insight?

Anonymous

Sorry I can't "shed any light" on this problem  s:D :D s:D

bluesmoke

s:D :D s:D

I deliberately avoided saying that!

cabbydave

From memory going back to my bike days they stop excessive heat going to the lens so should be ok. I've never heard of them being a MOT failure though but if you want I can ask Mike off the MR2 forum as hes a MOT tester. Or you can just nip into a MOT test centre and ask.

bluesmoke

That would be great if you can find out Dave car is off the road currently.

Have to ask though, if they are only for the heat deflection, why don't imports have them?

trevsmr2

Quote from: "bluesmoke"Can anyone else give any input on this before I start buying replacement headlights?

Will having the hats missing really make the UK lamp operate differently to a normal import lamp?

Have a read through this

m http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... -reflector m

one light with and one without would look odd ,so might make the MOT guy question things

Tags: