winter tyres sizes

Started by enzoforever, June 30, 2014, 21:28

enzoforever

Hey, I know it's probably a bit early to be thinking of winter but want to be ready for the white stuff.  I am after info regarding what size wheels and tyres to get.  I have a post facelift with Toyo proxes (which are barely run in) on the front and slightly older Bridgestone potenzas on the rear at the moment. I'm thinking this wont be too good when and if the white stuff appears.  Ideally I would like a second set as there is no substitute for winter tyres they are just fabulous in the wet and cold as well as Obvoiusly the snow.  Any advice gratefully received.  Cheers

Treboeth

Quote from: "kentsmudger"
Quote from: "doogz"I have a spare set of wheels, and I'd thought of getting some winter tyres for them, but I don't think I'm going to bother.

OP, you say they're a bugger to get, what's available in 'our' size? Nokian? Vredestein? What else?

Cheers

Assuming pre-facelift - 2 x Fronts and 2 x rear Kumho KW23 will cost you around £230 at the moment (cheaper than last year) - I have them and can highly recommend them - They are not snow tyres, they are winter tyres, excellent from November to March in any of the following conditions - Cold, wet, rainy, greasy, frosty icy, snowy or even wet autumn leaves and tractor droppings.

Absolutely worth getting if you want to use the car in Winter - While they are on the car, the Summer set are not wearing either so the only real cost is fitting them. Kentsmudger Recommended!

This should help  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

kentsmudger

Quote from: "enzoforever"... I have a post facelift...

Quote from: "kentsmudger"... Assuming pre-facelift...

Having said that, I would be  trying to get the closest to standard sizes I could on a fairly standard sized wheel - Pre-facelift wheels and tyres would probably be OK for winters if facelift sizes are hard to come by
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

enzoforever

??? Why the strange comment? It's facelift, just put post facelift to make sure we were all on the same page.  Having said that thank you for the advice  :-) :-) :-)

kentsmudger

I just thought it amusing that Treboeth quoted me giving info on pre-facelift tyre sizes, when you had already said that yours was post-facelift!

I managed to get a spare set of very scruffy Roadster wheels cheap from a member on here and fitted them with winters in standard size - This has worked very nicely for a few years and the car's handling feels very friendly and familiar on the KW23s in comparison with the Toyo Proxes - A little softer, but consistent reliable grip
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Treboeth

s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  I was thinking along the lines of you had already bought a set of PFL which is a good idea for those "narrow"  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   winter tyres plus you actually linked the seller   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

enzoforever

Haha, great I understand now, thought you were having a go at me kentsmudger! No to recap I have no spare wheels yet, so should I try and get pre facelift tyres for the smaller sizes? Are these okay on my 2006 car.  Thanks again guys appreciate your input.

Tags: