Four wheel tracking.

Started by 6100art, July 3, 2014, 16:54

6100art

Hi I bought my 03 MR2 last year and I want to get the tracking set up properly. The car had only done just under 30,000 miles when I bought it but it wanders to the left. I have a Toyota dealer near me but I don't know if he is any good at setting up four wheel steering. Any ideas on where to get it set up would be appreciated. I live near to Milton Keynes.
Thanks 6100art

Jiff Lemon

Have you tried unit18 over in Wolverton? Probably cheaper than stephen eagle.

Joesson

Many garages and tyre service  companies and Mr T offer this service. Often as a basic price  for checking and then extra for alignment.
They would all be on the basis of take your choice and pay your money but probably unlikely they have worked on a 2 previously.
Have a look at Matt Performance in the afilliates section, he lists 4 wheel alignment at £55.
I don't know what isincluded for that, but he is well respected on this forum very experinced on thge MR2 and based in Birmingham

6100art

Thanks guys.

Mr X

I had mine done a few weeks ago by Orbit after changing my rear crossmember. Cost me £60, took them 30 mins  had a nice print out of what the settings were before and after. You will feel the difference if it needs adjustment!
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Msp

Just had mine done today. Well checked anyway for £15. It was all spot on so no other charge.
2 less :(

6100art

I had mine done last year and I am still not happy with the handling, it still runs slightly to the left. So does anyone know the correct settings for an MR2 ? ?  ?

Mine were set up as follows.
 Front Total toe                        + 0 deg 08 minutes
Fr Toe Partial          +0 deg 04 minutes       +0 deg 04 minutes
Fr Camber              -1 deg 24 minutes        -0 deg 20 minutes
Fr Caster               +3 deg 22 minutes        +3 deg 12 minutes

Which looks like the left side is biased by camber and caster.

Rear Total toe                       +0 deg 16 minutes.
Rear toe Partial      +0 deg 10 minutes      +0 deg 06 minutes
Rear Camber          -2 deg 08 minutes       -1 deg 08 minutes
Thrust angle                         +0 deg 00 minutes

Again the rear is biased to the left by the camber, and maybe by the rear toe.

There is reference to wheel rim dia as 15" but mine has 15" and 16" rears, but I don't think that would make a difference.  
What do you think, I had it done by a Toyota dealer.

Ardent

Go to wheels in motion.

6100art

Thanks Ardent, but what is wheels in motion.

stupink

Quote from: "6100art"I had mine done last year and I am still not happy with the handling, it still runs slightly to the left. So does anyone know the correct settings for an MR2 ? ?  ?

Mine were set up as follows.
 Front Total toe                        + 0 deg 08 minutes
Fr Toe Partial          +0 deg 04 minutes       +0 deg 04 minutes
Fr Camber              -1 deg 24 minutes        -0 deg 20 minutes
Fr Caster               +3 deg 22 minutes        +3 deg 12 minutes

Which looks like the left side is biased by camber and caster.

Rear Total toe                       +0 deg 16 minutes.
Rear toe Partial      +0 deg 10 minutes      +0 deg 06 minutes
Rear Camber          -2 deg 08 minutes       -1 deg 08 minutes
Thrust angle                         +0 deg 00 minutes

Again the rear is biased to the left by the camber, and maybe by the rear toe.

There is reference to wheel rim dia as 15" but mine has 15" and 16" rears, but I don't think that would make a difference.  
What do you think, I had it done by a Toyota dealer.

Front camber is not out of spec... but while 1.3degrees isn't a huuuge  amount of camber front camber is non-adjustable and I do find myself wondering why its NEARLY out of spec on a standard car?(I assume it is?) and as you feel it pulls and the toe is "correct" i'd be inclined to suggest its had a bop possibly and somethings not quite as it should be...  take a few measurements yourself...  like left and right hub to hub, make sure both sides are symmetrical etc...

only count "pulling" if you're on a flat road, any cambered road will pull to the drain at the edge..  does it still pull left in the overtake lane of a motorway for example where the drains on the right?
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

Ardent

Quote from: "6100art"Thanks Ardent, but what is wheels in motion.

Argubaly the best place a geo setup.
 m http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/steeringgeometry.php m

cabbydave

A geo check and adjust is only as good as the person doing it. You can have a really expensive machine but if you have a noddy setting your car up forget it. I have seen some morons geo'ing cars

Ardent

I was going to add that myself.

My local "highly regarded" outfit use the same kit. But have nowhere near the capability WIM do.

stupink

I do my own with string and a ruler. Gets it close as you need it. Could be a good way to just measure what's going on at the moment. Put the steering straight and see what wheels are pointing where. (just a broom handle over the wheels may show if its that far out)
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

6100art

Thanks everybody, but what I really want is a list of settings for a MR2.

mr-ed_smt

This is how mine is setup for track.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Ardent

Quote from: "6100art"Thanks everybody, but what I really want is a list of settings for a MR2.

I maybe talking rubbish.
But, I do not think using someone eles setting is going to help.
Far too many variables between components, age, fitment.

I could happily scan in my settings for you. Does not mean they would be correct for "your" car.

As you are in Milton keyens I strongly recommend the trip down to Wheels in motion.
Tell them what you want and they will set it up accordingly.
They are 80 miles from me, but I still went.
You are already half way there (minimum)

Trust me now. Believe me later.

And get yourself some  Mr T bolts with the shallower shank to allow them more flexibility.
Part number 90105-14147

6100art

Thanks guys, I've got what I wanted. Thanks again.

Tags: