New Build not firing please help

Started by tommyzoom99, July 4, 2014, 12:33

tommyzoom99

Hi chaps and chapetts  
well the car is finally built now, has been a long road still lots to do, but......

we have put the engine back together and in the car wired it in and bleed all the relevant systems, gone to fire it up and it cranks over fine but no music  s:( :( s:(  double checked the loom and all connections and seems in good order the loom has never been cut or tampered with either.
all the dash works, fuel gauge etc, there no EML or any signs anything is amiss (apart from a ABS light as i need to put a new sensor in) from the lights on the dash

i have checked the 1 ign2 fuse checked the immobilizer light is going off, i had the plugs out and cranked it over but not a drop off fuel is going in, took the fuel pump out and hard wired it and its fine as i got fuel in my face haha!, have yet to check for spark but if there no fuel it don't matter yet  s:) :) s:)

im still running the stock ecu until i have ran it in and can fit the Apexi

We have taken the AC out and the engine has had some extensive work on. I'm running out of options as to why the is no fuel, the pump aint priming upon ignition I think or the injectors aint firing but i can't here the pump at all with the ignition on,

I'm running out of things to check now if anyone has any ideas HELP please i need to fire my baby up been 5 months of building to fall at the final hurdle  s:( :( s:(  

cheers Tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Wabbitkilla

I had the same problem and found the air trapped in the fuel rail was stopping the fuel from getting to the injectors.
Bled the fuel rail by lifting it a little and pumping and it all started working again afterwards.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

phils99

can you put an error code reader on the plug under the steering wheel to see if anything is throwing an error?

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"I had the same problem and found the air trapped in the fuel rail was stopping the fuel from getting to the injectors.
Bled the fuel rail by lifting it a little and pumping and it all started working again afterwards.

ok cheers mate il'll give it a go, it just seem like the pump isn't pumping at all though.

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "phils99"can you put an error code reader on the plug under the steering wheel to see if anything is throwing an error?

if I had 1 I would maybe time to invest in 1, time to do some research into readers I think,

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

phils99

money well spent, when I replaced my head gasket, after rebuild, it wouldnt start.

I bought a cheap jap code reader, plugged it in and it gave me a code, on googleing, it was a camshaft sensor....yes I had missed off one connector well hidden deep down in the engine, plugged it back in and it fired up straight away!

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "phils99"money well spent, when I replaced my head gasket, after rebuild, it wouldnt start.

I bought a cheap jap code reader, plugged it in and it gave me a code, on googleing, it was a camshaft sensor....yes I had missed off one connector well hidden deep down in the engine, plugged it back in and it fired up straight away!

oh cheers buddy defo going to have to get a reader then as I cant see anything a miss on the engine, OBD2 seems the 1 of choice from what I have read.

just dying to fire it up so bad  s:( :( s:(

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Anonymous

They are cheap and worth having anyway, so it's a good investment

Anonymous

Have a look in the code reader thread, there maybe someone local to you who could pop over this weekend to check it out

stupink

fuel pump relay could be stuck...  theres several the same (AC i think) swap it over see if that helps.
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

loadswine

You might want to check the earth connections, just one not connected can do this.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

tommyzoom99

thanks for the reply's lads been moving house this weekend to so been a bit hectic gonna have a look tonight see what I can do got a code reader ordered as well

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tommyzoom99

sorry been a while I have now moved house

I have checked all the earths

pulled the fuel pump out and hard wired it and it works

got no spark

brought a code reader and get linking error everytime

this MR does not wanna play ball, I assume it could be a crank sensor cam sensor but don't wanna start blindly changing sensors

im losing the plot with this now, do I need to buy another code reader.......?

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Anonymous

Is it a uk or import as the odbii does not work on the jap, that you will need the paperclip trick for.

If you have no spark make sure the ign relay and fuse are ok. Another thing you can test is see if you get a 12v supply at the coil pack with ignition on.

Oh and don't give up yet.

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Is it a uk or import as the odbii does not work on the jap, that you will need the paperclip trick for.

If you have no spark make sure the ign relay and fuse are ok. Another thing you can test is see if you get a 12v supply at the coil pack with ignition on.

Oh and don't give up yet.

hi buddy

its a UK car so I have no idea why im getting linking error, would you get linking error if there is no fault code to read?

there is no engine management light on the dash so does that mean the ecu is not detecting a fault or error? I would assume if the crank or cam sensor broke I would get a engine management light on the dash?

I have checked the ign fuse but not the relay, I assumed if the fuse is ok the relay would be? that sounds stupid now I wrote it i'll check the relay tonight   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

its such a odd problem everything works electronically, windows, wing mirrors, stereo, alarm/immobiliser lights indicators I have no warning lights, there was nothing wrong with the car electronically when we took the wiring loom off the engine, now no fuel or spark checked so many things and nothing just endlessly checking things cranking it over and praying it fires but to no avail

im trying not to get down about it but my lord its so frustrating to hear it crank and not fire  s:( :( s:(

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Anonymous

Are you sure it's not immobiliser issue?

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Are you sure it's not immobiliser issue?

well I can lock and unlock the car on the fob as normal and the red flashing light on the dash board goes out once unlocked so I assume the immobiliser is deactivate at this point.

but at this stage im not ruling anything out im not sure what the hell is going on with it.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Joesson

You are obviously still looking for a solution so-
The car engine experience I have is mainly from the days of carburretors and distributors, simple stuff!
However when the drive to the cam shaft broke on one car and the chain slipped on another the engine turned over, had fuel and sparks but would not start, this is similar to your situation.
Is it possible for this engine to turn over if the timing chain is incorrectly positioned?

mrzwei

I  think the immobiliser is a separate system. When you insert the key then the ignition barrel recognises the signal from the chip in the key and allows the engine to spark and fuel.
If you haven't changed the key or ignition barrel or messed about with the wiring and it's the same ecu then it is probably not an immobiliser issue.

You need to test the crank position sensor. If that is faulty then the ecu assumes the crank isn't turning so won't spark or fuel the engine. As the engine theoretically has stopped then the ecu sees nothing wrong and you won't get any error codes or a dash light.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

As said, the lock / unlock isn't actually part of the immobiliser. You need to match the following parts from the same car;

1) chip inside key
2) ignition barrel coil (sensor for chip)
3) engine ecu

Have you done that?

Anonymous

The fuel pump and the injectors and the coil packs get there power after the ecu has powered up a relay. If the ecu does not give them power then nothing will run even if it does crank and sensors on the crank pick it up. However if its cranking it is not an immobiliser issue. Best is to check that power is getting to the pump/injectors and coils. For instance ground the green/red wire on the pump with ignition turned on and see if it works.

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"As said, the lock / unlock isn't actually part of the immobiliser. You need to match the following parts from the same car;

1) chip inside key
2) ignition barrel coil (sensor for chip)
3) engine ecu

Have you done that?

well the key fob, ecu and ignition barrel are all original from stock never been messed with and was fine before we took the car off the road for the build, im still running stock ecu until the engine is ran in then will swap out for the Apexi power FC, I have read that the alarm and immobiliser wont work with the power FC. so im pretty sure It wont be that although never say never

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tommyzoom99

HI buckingham, i have hard wired the pump out the car and it works, but I haven't tried this, I'll try grounding the pump while in the tank with the ignition on and see if it works.

Hi mrzwei this is becoming the most likely problem i think, is there a way to test the crank  position sensor? mechanically im good with a spanner but electronics is my downfall  s:( :( s:(

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Joesson

From the above I guess the crank position indicator gives similar symptoms to the timing systems of older engines!

Davegtst

If you can get hold of a decent code reader you can use live readings to see the engine speed when you crank it.

Tags: