New Build not firing please help

Started by tommyzoom99, July 4, 2014, 12:33

Anonymous

Guys missing the obvious as the fuel pump is on when the ignition is on, so it don't need the crank sensor for it. The op needs to find out why half the engine parts don't turn on at the moment, before he looks at why it don't run

mrzwei

If you need to test the crank sensor then:

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ws8EVQ6NjE m

I've not had to do it on the Roadster so I'm not sure how easy it is to get at. I think though that it is prone to corrosion so it may be worth just cleaning up the connections first.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

tommyzoom99

cheers chaps a few more things for me to try beginning to think its never gonna fire

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

spit

Just arrived on this thread and trying to see what you've tried.

Are you confident that the immobilser is disarming now?

Did you get around to substituting the fuel pump relay? Not sure whether you're saying that the pump is working or not on the car (except that it is when you hardwire it). That and the priming issue Wabbit mentions would be a good first step to confirm that fuel is getting to the rail.

A stethoscope/tube to the ear on the injectors will confirm whether they're ticking away healthily during turnover. A nose in the plugholes will sniff out fuel and is a useful free check to do early on before you bimble into mechanical stuff like cams/chain being out by the odd link.

Crank sensors can be vulnerable during a rebuild due to their exposed location, a tendancy to attract a lifetime of gunk, and a dislike of being removed and reseated (bad design!). As said above, a non-firing sensor would tell the ECU that nothing is going on so nothing needs to be done. In that sense its a candidate for your probs. Possibly a dumb question (sorry  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ), but you did replace the crank angle sensor plate (with the F facing outwards) before you buttoned up the chain cover, didn't you?

Hang in there. Lots of possibles - you just need to plough logically through them.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

MattPerformance

I'd waiger that the exciter ring for the crank sensor is mounted back to front

MattPerformance

Quote from: "spit"Possibly a dumb question (sorry  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ), but you did replace the crank angle sensor plate (with the F facing outwards) before you buttoned up the chain cover, didn't you?
i.e. As Ste said

tommyzoom99

HI chaps
yeah 100% sure the immobiliser is disarming,

substituted the fuel relay and its works, had the plugs out and cranked it and not a drop of fuel is getting in and no spark

im starting to worry now and think the crank sensor is knackered (although this is a simple fix as its easily accessible)  or something aint right with the crank angle sensor plate, although im 99.9% sure it went on the correct way I have lots of pictures of the build so will check them over

for example if the crank sensor plate needs looking at or replacing / refitting,i take it this is a engine out job? I would imagine it is due to the tight space to unbolt everything.

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Anonymous

So when your crank your engine over the fuel pump is definitely pumping????

And remember what I said before the power for spark, injectors and pump are all linked together as the ecu switches the negative.

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "rbuckingham"So when your crank your engine over the fuel pump is definitely pumping????

And remember what I said before the power for spark, injectors and pump are all linked together as the ecu switches the negative.

nope the pump doesn't prime at all but I checked the relay so I don't get it at all anymore wish I was better at electronics  s:( :( s:(

time to get a professional in I think might cost a bit but will know the score within a hour I hope, before I end losing the plot haha  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

spit

Quote from: "tommyzoom99"for example if the crank sensor plate needs looking at or replacing / refitting,i take it this is a engine out job? I would imagine it is due to the tight space to unbolt everything.

Can be done with the engine in. Fiddly but manageable.

I'd park that for the moment - Whichever way round it is, my concern was more that the plate was there to allow signal generation to the ECU.

First up, you need to figure why that pump isn't behaving as it should when its plumbed into the car's circuitry.

Anonymous

I'll check in a min but as said the pump, injectors and coils have no power. So if the engine has no fuel and no spark going in then it never going to run. I'll find the live wire to the three and with ignition on there should be 12v which my guess is not.

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "MattPerformance"
Quote from: "spit"Possibly a dumb question (sorry  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ), but you did replace the crank angle sensor plate (with the F facing outwards) before you buttoned up the chain cover, didn't you?
i.e. As Ste said

checked the pictures of the build last night and the crank angle sensor plate is on the correct way, the whole engine got striped and when the bores where oversized by 0.5 for the pistons everything was put through a wash and clean so dirt or grim shouldn't be a issue either

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "rbuckingham"I'll check in a min but as said the pump, injectors and coils have no power. So if the engine has no fuel and no spark going in then it never going to run. I'll find the live wire to the three and with ignition on there should be 12v which my guess is not.

thanks Richard and everyone else for the help narrowing down the search got someone coming out tomorrow whos a wiz with electronics so fingers crossed i'll at least know whats wrong tomorrow and i'll report back

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tommyzoom99

Well it's alive at last and sounds like a dream, once we found the fault it fired up instantly, thanks for the help lads

Cheers Tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Rick foster

What was the fault?

MattPerformance

Judging by the lack of explanation, probably something simple and daft. We've all been there!!!!
Glad it's sorted and back on the road!

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "MattPerformance"Judging by the lack of explanation, probably something simple and daft. We've all been there!!!!
Glad it's sorted and back on the road!

Haha you guessed it total school boy error!! Oh my lord stupid, note to shelf make sure the ECU is fully connected, and don't believe my mate who's building the car with me when they say it's all connected! there's a small black connector part of the loom that goes into the ECU which got missed some how......

Cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Joesson

We were all school boys (or girls) at one time.
Some of us think we still are!
Glad your sorted now.

Anonymous

So what do I win as I said power from the start

Anonymous

Nice one tommy !

spit

D'oh!

Congrats on a successful rebuild Tommy.

Give your mate a swift wedgie on behalf of us all   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

tommyzoom99

ha cheers lads what a plonker I feel  s:) :) s:)  don't worry I gave my self a slap   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

but it fires up now and me and my mate took it out last night for its first drive and nothing fell off or leaked no rattles or funny smells so im chuffed, going to get it MOT this week and take it up the EVO triangle this weekend for some gentle running in.

it does seem to of developed a bit of a dead spot in the power steering tho where all of a sudden it weights up and frees off think where its been sat for 5 months it just needs working free or the pump is on its way

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Tags: