Who said "1zzy" wasn't a Toyota BEAMS engine :)

Started by Anonymous, September 1, 2004, 22:14

Anonymous

I remember someone asking whether the 1ZZ-FE ("1zzy") was a BEAMS engine... (not a *beemer* engine, please   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Here's the proof:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Mr-s/mechanism/index.html

BEAMS*1 1ZZ-FE VVT-i*2

*1 BEAMS(ビームス):Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System

Go forth now, fellow Spyderians, spread the good word   s:D :D s:D

Tem

Yeah, I asked about it...and since I did a bit of digging myself. Seems that Toyota calls every engine with VVT-i (single or dual) or VVTL-i a BEAMS engine  s8) 8) s8)  So practically all current engines are BEAMS...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Yeah, I asked about it...and since I did a bit of digging myself. Seems that Toyota calls every engine with VVT-i (single or dual) or VVTL-i a BEAMS engine  s8) 8) s8)  So practically all current engines are BEAMS...

Yeah, outside Japan, I think the strategy is to use the BEAMS denomination essentially in the "Lexus" range (to make it sound more exclusive).

Beyond the VVT-i (or VVTL-i), there are also quite a few other improvements in the ZZs that make it a great engine like the integrated oil cooler (efficient and lightweight), but that wouldn't necessarily come under "BEAMS" definition.

GSB

Quote from: "phat"there are also quite a few other improvements in the ZZs that make it a great engine like the integrated oil cooler (efficient and lightweight), but that wouldn't necessarily come under "BEAMS" definition.

Dont think the US market gets the oil cooler...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

dieamond

Hey for one time we're lucky.

OK, 2 with the LSD  :-) :-) :-)
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

MRMike

3 with the six speed box   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   though i aknowledge you don't like the ratios...
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Yeah, Toyota should have just given us all the Japanese 6sp gearbox with LSD right from the start...   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Anyone wants to lobby Toyota for a gearbox recall   s:P :P s:P  (and for the pre-cats while we're at it)   s:) :) s:)

MRMike

Anyways back on topic I always thought the BEAMS designation was for the 200bhp IS200 (Altezza), as I've only heard of the engine in that context.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

I think a cut-open version of the 209hp 6-cyl 3S-GE BEAMS engine was on display at the Geneva motorshow last March.

But I wonder if the S series of engines are still made of (mega heavy) cast iron? From the engine on display you couldn't tell, 'cos it was all chromed over and shiny   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

Quote from: "phat"From the engine on display you couldn't tell, 'cos it was all chromed over and shiny   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

You could have lobbed a magnet at it to see if it stuck....

Ok, I'll get me coat  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I was already too busy trying to pinch the new lights, air intakes, shift knob and other shiny stuff off the 2004 MR2 on display   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

GSB

Quote from: "MRMike"Anyways back on topic I always thought the BEAMS designation was for the 200bhp IS200 (Altezza), as I've only heard of the engine in that context.

The very last of the Rev.5 ('98 on) Mk2 MR2's had the BEAMS 3S-GE as well...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "MRMike"Anyways back on topic I always thought the BEAMS designation was for the 200bhp IS200 (Altezza), as I've only heard of the engine in that context.

Yeah, thought so myself, that's why I asked about it in the first place  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: