Air Filter

Started by utterclarity, July 16, 2014, 10:28

utterclarity

Just thinking about basic servicing myself (oil, filters, plugs etc.) and realised a previous owner has ditched the airbox in favour of a cone filter. I've heard mixed reports about these and wonder if it's worth reinstating the airbox or just stick with the cone. Any thoughts anyone?    s:? :? s:?

Wabbitkilla

Show us a picture please.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

utterclarity

Ok, here are a couple of pictures - not very clear I'm afraid. Just noticed the filter is a K&N (embossed on end)

Thanks

Wabbitkilla

From its location it will be drawing in warm air from the engine bay.
Reinstating the standard airbox will take a few bits and pieces, you will notice it quietens the intake and cools the air a bit better.
The standard airbox and filter have been proven to be pretty efficient so no loss in power probably.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

utterclarity

Thanks for the advice - it looks like I'm off to fleabay

shnazzle

Quote from: "utterclarity"Thanks for the advice - it looks like I'm off to fleabay

Could also post in Wanted section. Worth a shot
...neutiquam erro.

Grubber

Or you could reposition the k&n behind the battery, their is a how to on here if you do a search.. Probably the cheaper option for you as you have the k&n.

mrzwei

You can buy a cleaning kit for those K&N filters. Personally, I'd just clean it and stick it back on.
For normal use you will not notice any power difference from the stock unit ( I ran a cone filter replacement and just kept it clean). You will notice a difference in induction sound.
Up to you at the end of the day.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

mr mr2

Just with this filter make sure you clean your MAF as they don't like the oil from the K&N
Excelsior

utterclarity

May well keep it. Just looked on K&N - didn't realise how pricey they are.

Tags: