Black 2002 and 2001 MR2 - Tommy Zooms / Hachiroku track car build

Started by tommyzoom99, August 1, 2014, 13:25

Swan_Connery

Splitter looks awesome mate. Where'd you pick that up?

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Swan_Connery"Splitter looks awesome mate. Where'd you pick that up?

cheers buddy

i actually got the spoiler second hand from a member on the club but they dont come up very often you can buy them brand new from here,

m http://www.luxurypart.com/home/index.ph ... &Itemid=57 m

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "dkirkwood89"Great looking car tommy, and great thread

the vents are a good addition

Thanks buddy,

I have been after a set of vents for a while but didnt want to pay the high prices for original c-one vents, the group buy was a god send couldn't resist very happy with them.

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

wafers

I'd not spotted this one on here until now. My new favourite Roadster, I reckon. I like all of the mods - I'd say the only thing I'd change would be the red leather, but that's just personal preference. I'm a bit gutted I ignored a set of Rotas which were for sale and previously fitted to a Roadster locally, as I just couldn't envisage them fitted. Mine has a 40mm drop - how low is yours?

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "wafers"I'd not spotted this one on here until now. My new favourite Roadster, I reckon. I like all of the mods - I'd say the only thing I'd change would be the red leather, but that's just personal preference. I'm a bit gutted I ignored a set of Rotas which were for sale and previously fitted to a Roadster locally, as I just couldn't envisage them fitted. Mine has a 40mm drop - how low is yours?

thanks for the kind words buddy glad you like it  s:) :) s:)  im with you all the way on the seats im not a fan either there just stock facelift seats, one day i'll get a set of brides or recaros but the amount they cost they keep getting put back for other mods, mishimoto rad and coilovers next then might look at seats  s:D :D s:D  

yeah i do like rotas they look good on most cars and they have alot of selection, they come up on ebay quite alot but we couldn't find a second hand set in the size/fitment we wanted so brought new, mine is dropped on tein springs think it is 33mm front and 30mm rear but they have settled now and reckon its dropped at least another 5mm maybe 10mm, they dropped quite alot once they had some miles on them.

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

manos3003

Bro, how have you managed to keep your coils dry without  a coil cover? I've had to go through a set of coils because of no cover on my 1zz. The Corolla I have has no coil cover either, treating myself to a Lotus one  s:D :D s:D
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

wafers

Tommy - is the exhaust a one off, or is it an off the shelf job?

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "manos3003"Bro, how have you managed to keep your coils dry without  a coil cover? I've had to go through a set of coils because of no cover on my 1zz. The Corolla I have has no coil cover either, treating myself to a Lotus one  s:D :D s:D

hi buddy, well they stay dry as far as we have noticed, the car doesn't see much wet weather these days as its not a daily driver but it has been out in the rain a few times and never had a problem with water getting the coils wet. after its been out in the rain we dry all the subframe / engine etc down and i have never noticed water on the coils.

i cant really see how water could get there unless you remove the drip tray, but i have seen topics/threads where people have commented on the coils getting wet but i haven't seen this on my car

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "wafers"Tommy - is the exhaust a one off, or is it an off the shelf job?

HI buddy

no its all off the shelf, PPE manifold and a CHE exhaust with there de cat pipe think they call it a test pipe it was all brought from MWR in the USA.

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

wafers

Quote from: "tommyzoom99"
Quote from: "wafers"Tommy - is the exhaust a one off, or is it an off the shelf job?

HI buddy

no its all off the shelf, PPE manifold and a CHE exhaust with there de cat pipe think they call it a test pipe it was all brought from MWR in the USA.

cheers tommy

Thanks for that - would look good on my sable I reckon  s;) ;) s;)

tommyzoom99

HI all

Had a great day at Oulton park on the 20th car ran perfect all day apart from losing the live to our gauges near the end of the day due to our rubbish crimping   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  easily fixed though

was alot of cars there, lots of mx5s. golf gti mk1/2 and a few caterhams which felt the wrath of the mr2  s:) :) s:)  we shared a garage with a nice bloke who had a turbo mx5, he even let us have a go which only confirmed how much of a better car the mr2 is.

there was another mr2 mk3 there which surprised us we had a good chat with the owners and told them to join MR2ROC  s:) :) s:)

the weather was nice and sunny but cold, which meant we got to really push the mr2, the new sump and side vents helped with oil temps and could go flat out for 3/4 laps before oil temps got to 110 celcius area and only required 1 cool down lap to get them down to 90 again, the rain did come but right at the end of the day around 3 so we packed up and went home at this point.

few few things we noticed on the day the car needs more arch rolling, i seriously want coilovers now and a set of semi slicks  s:) :) s:)

heres a few pics in the garage will get some pics of on track action up soon  s:) :) s:)

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Alex Knight

Glad you had a good time on track.

FYI, 110 degrees oil temp is not particularly high.

[youtube:3d6jv2om]ZBGaqLQBnUM[/youtube:3d6jv2om]

tommyzoom99

Cheers Alex was a great day

yeah i know your pretty safe up to 130 degrees before the oil starts to break down, its more of a self imposed limit for safety for the engine,

enjoyed watching that video though  s:) :) s:)  some of the oil temps where crazy high that evo was almost 150! no wonder it retired in smoke

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Jrichards20

Are you doing the arch rolling just for looks? Doesn't seem that close at the moment  s:) :) s:)
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Are you doing the arch rolling just for looks? Doesn't seem that close at the moment  s:) :) s:)

Hi buddy, no if i could of got away without rolling the arches i wouldn't bother, they have already been done about 15/20mm but need another 10mm as there just catching now and only on the rear.

when we first got the wheels it rubbed on the road in general driving but after the first round of arch rolling we never noticed it on the road and hoped it would be enough.

it only does it on certain corners like shell corner and going through deers leap where there's alot of compression in the suspension so its pretty close.

but i reckon due to it being on stock shocks and just tein springs there still reasonable amount of body roll and suspension travel, once we get coilovers they probably wont rub due to the stiffer nature of coilovers but then again we would drop it lower again by another 10/15mm so might rub, but another 10mm wider should cure the problem for good.

its a fairly straight forward process do it in the space of a few hours

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Jrichards20

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Are you doing the arch rolling just for looks? Doesn't seem that close at the moment  s:) :) s:)

Hi buddy, no if i could of got away without rolling the arches i wouldn't bother, they have already been done about 15/20mm but need another 10mm as there just catching now and only on the rear.

when we first got the wheels it rubbed on the road in general driving but after the first round of arch rolling we never noticed it on the road and hoped it would be enough.

it only does it on certain corners like shell corner and going through deers leap where there's alot of compression in the suspension so its pretty close.

but i reckon due to it being on stock shocks and just tein springs there still reasonable amount of body roll and suspension travel, once we get coilovers they probably wont rub due to the stiffer nature of coilovers but then again we would drop it lower again by another 10/15mm so might rub, but another 10mm wider should cure the problem for good.

cheers tommy

Looks like I will need to be doing that too then, do you have the roller yourself, or do you take it somewhere to do it?

Yes coilovers will definitely reduce the roll, once they are fitted the car is going to look awesome! even better than it is now  s:) :) s:)  

If I can get my car looking a little like this I will be a very happy chappy!
Street Triple 765 RS

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Jrichards20"

cheers tommy

Looks like I will need to be doing that too then, do you have the roller yourself, or do you take it somewhere to do it?

Yes coilovers will definitely reduce the roll, once they are fitted the car is going to look awesome! even better than it is now  s:) :) s:)  

If I can get my car looking a little like this I will be a very happy chappy!

We did it our selves brought the roller off ebay for something like 50 quid where as to pay someone to do it was like 200 quid + so thought we would have a go.

its fairly straight forward to do, just need a good heat gun to warm the metal up nicely to pull out the arches and also stops the paint cracking, but it is quite easy to put to much heat into the metal which we found out and slightly warped our front wing but after that we got the hang of it and its pretty easy to get the balance of heat and pressure on the arch to slowly pull them out, I unhooked the bumpers aswell to get a better roll on the arches and once your done just clip them back in and the bumpers follow the new wider arches to make it look almost unnoticeable.  

If you do it start on the front to get your eye in its cheaper and easier to replace that panel  s:) :) s:)  Thats if anything goes wrong but take it slow and you wont have a problem.

i would say your more than welcome to borrow my roller but just seen your down in london which might make things tricky

yeah coilovers will make it look so much better properly slammed and handle how i want

thanks buddy im pretty happy with it how it looks now nothing else i wanna do to the outside bar lower it some more!  s:) :) s:)  

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tomaky

Quite like the idea of doing this ha
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

tomaky

Could fit the big wheels.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Jrichards20

Quote from: "tommyzoom99"We did it our selves brought the roller off ebay for something like 50 quid where as to pay someone to do it was like 200 quid + so thought we would have a go.

its fairly straight forward to do, just need a good heat gun to warm the metal up nicely to pull out the arches and also stops the paint cracking, but it is quite easy to put to much heat into the metal which we found out and slightly warped our front wing but after that we got the hang of it and its pretty easy to get the balance of heat and pressure on the arch to slowly pull them out, I unhooked the bumpers aswell to get a better roll on the arches and once your done just clip them back in and the bumpers follow the new wider arches to make it look almost unnoticeable.  

If you do it start on the front to get your eye in its cheaper and easier to replace that panel  s:) :) s:)  Thats if anything goes wrong but take it slow and you wont have a problem.

i would say your more than welcome to borrow my roller but just seen your down in london which might make things tricky

yeah coilovers will make it look so much better properly slammed and handle how i want

thanks buddy I'm pretty happy with it how it looks now nothing else i wanna do to the outside bar lower it some more!  s:) :) s:)  

cheers tommy

I've got a heat gun so that's a start!  s:) :) s:)  thanks buddy, I'm sure there must be one closer to home somewhere! I will have to watch a few youtube videos. If you can, when you do the next rolling, get a video on some of it so we can have a look  s:) :) s:)
Street Triple 765 RS

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Jrichards20"
Quote from: "tommyzoom99"We did it our selves brought the roller off ebay for something like 50 quid where as to pay someone to do it was like 200 quid + so thought we would have a go.

thanks buddy I'm pretty happy with it how it looks now nothing else i wanna do to the outside bar lower it some more!  s:) :) s:)  

cheers tommy

I've got a heat gun so that's a start!  s:) :) s:)  thanks buddy, I'm sure there must be one closer to home somewhere! I will have to watch a few youtube videos. If you can, when you do the next rolling, get a video on some of it so we can have a look  s:) :) s:)

Ha thats half the tools  s:) :) s:)  there only 40/50 quid on ebay so it aint to costly to get 1, yes sure no worries next time i do it which will probably be soon i'll get some footage of the process, alot of people just use them to bend the lip of the arch flat but i used to to actually pull the arch out and flare the lip   s:) :) s:)  

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "tomaky"Could fit the big wheels.

do it do it   s:D :D s:D  

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tommyzoom99

A few pics from Oulton Park last week  s:) :) s:)

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

mr-ed_smt

That really is a lovely looking '2. The wheels, side scoops, front splitter and black bodywork just "work"!
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Jrichards20

So becoming one of my favourite 2's. Don't know why, but as above. It just works!!

Fancy a swap?  s;) ;) s;)
Street Triple 765 RS

Tags: