Black 2002 and 2001 MR2 - Tommy Zooms / Hachiroku track car build

Started by tommyzoom99, August 1, 2014, 13:25

tommyzoom99

hi all

a small update no pics yet though

we have purchased a TRD front strut brace (cheap from a auction site) and a baffled sump which will be going on the car soon

i havn't had much time as of late to do anything to the car due to my first child being born a little baby boy which im over the moon with

hopefully when things settle down I will be at outlon this/next month razzing the MR2

cheers Tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Anonymous

Congratulations Tommy  s:D :D s:D

tomaky

Congrats buddy!!!
Which sump did you go for?
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "tomaky"Congrats buddy!!!
Which sump did you go for?

Cheers chaps

we decided to go cheap and get the OBX sump seeing as its way less than 50% of the other sumps available.

i have read good and bad about the morrso and the same about the OBX  i.e (small leaks not flat fitment issues etc)and nothing but good about the Elise parts (but didn't fancy 500+ quid)  so went with the OBX (200 quid delivered) and TBH i was quite surprised it seems there welder has had more experience over the years building these sumps or they changed him as the welds look good not amazing or anything but way better than the pics

If there are any problems with it (which we cant see so far) we can get it welded or the mounting face skimmed perfectly flat for very cheap so even worse case scenario we can have it fixed and will only cost us a few quid extra which will still make it a very cheap sump.

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tomaky

Ive got one in the front room, agree the welds arnt the tidyest, one if the corners on the inside has got a visable crack which doesnt travel all the way through the weld. I might have a lad in work take a look. Yet to properly check the face, ive got a can of rtv hoping it should seal well enough.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

tommyzoom99

Hi all

A very small update as i have very little time recently, got the TRD brace back from the powered coaters and put on, makes a difference to the front end and looks quite cool

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Anonymous

Tommy where did you get your omp wheel from? Also What size is it, 330mm?

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Tommy where did you get your omp wheel from? Also What size is it, 330mm?

hi buddy

we got it from ebay, the size is 350mm, pretty much the same size as stock maybe 10/20mm smaller, we were looking at/for 330mm wheels but they seemed harder to find 1 with a dish and more expensive.

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Anonymous

Thanks mate, I'll keep an eye out, I'd like a dished one to bring the wheel a little closer and that OMP one you've got is very nice looking !

Jrichards20

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Thanks mate, I'll keep an eye out, I'd like a dished one to bring the wheel a little closer and that OMP one you've got is very nice looking !

Dibs on yours!
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

tommyzoom99

few updates

elise parts sump is on although no pics yet, got the side vents from the GB took alot of sanding and prep to get them flat but came out ok,

and finally the all the rear hub bushes failed so got the bushes from MR2 ben which weren't cheap and just need to fit them in the hubs

got normal poly bushes for the 2 other hub bushes which were nice and cheap

Toyota don't sell the bushes you have to buy new hubs! And there no poly version as they are some mad design so no one makes them, so the bushes from MR2 ben is the only solution I have found, they are from another toyota model apparently.

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tommyzoom99

Elise parts sump is on

I couldn't find anyone running this sump on a 1zz and elise parts them selves weren't sure if it would fit, although the bolting pattern is the same, but it went on fine, so anyone out there looking to put a baffel sump onm there 1zz i would reccommend the elise parts 1, much better design than moroso or OBX

going oulton park on November 20th for a track day... cant wait

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Jrichards20

Why would it not fit? The elise 1zz uses the same parts?  There are 1zz elises with this sump. What would cause it to not fit? Genuine question of not understanding  s:) :) s:)
Street Triple 765 RS

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Why would it not fit? The elise 1zz uses the same parts?  There are 1zz elises with this sump. What would cause it to not fit? Genuine question of not understanding  s:) :) s:)

I just wasn't sure if the block/fly wheel end is the same on 1zz and 2zz as there not much clearance that end, and also the i wasn't sure if the oil pick up is in the same place as i have seen people put 1zz sumps on a 2zz and have to cut the windage tray to get them to fit. this cause some concern also as the baffles are completely different on the Elise parts sump to the OBX/morosso so just wasn't sure if this would cause problems.

when i spoke to Elise parts they said they had never sold 1 for a 1zz and didn't know if they fit, i had a Google around and couldn't find any 1zz mr2 or elise with this sump on. maybe not a good enough google if you know there are 1zz elises with this sump on   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Elise parts sold me the sump under the condition i could return it if it didn't fit and asked for my feed back for fitment and have now updated there web site to include 1zz  s:) :) s:)

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Jrichards20

Ahh ok. I thought I read somewhere that Rogue fitted a ep sump on an 1zz mr2. But cant find the link. But nice of Elise parts to say you could return it!

How far underneath the car does the front splitter extend? I am looking for something similar  s:) :) s:)  Your car is giving me a few ideas, looks really good  s:) :) s:)
Street Triple 765 RS

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Ahh ok. I thought I read somewhere that Rogue fitted a ep sump on an 1zz mr2. But cant find the link. But nice of Elise parts to say you could return it!

How far underneath the car does the front splitter extend? I am looking for something similar  s:) :) s:)  Your car is giving me a few ideas, looks really good  s:) :) s:)

oh right maybe there is 1zz with this sump on im sure someone else would of tried it.

thanks buddy, its getting there now, the side vents off the GB have nicely finished off the outside.

it doesn't extend that far really see pic below, its from luxury part the splitter

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

MrStev3

I like that splitter !!
Will look awesome, the fl bumper needs some aggression added and that's the ticket
Mitsuko the mr2
federal rsr, lenso spec c wheels, ebc turbo grooved discs, ebc yellow stuff pads, tein springs, omp trs seat, Trs harness, rogue seat frames, k&n filter, stripped out interior, toyo sports manifold, Hardtop, rouge hardtop fitting kit, ultra racing front strut brace, Ultra racing lower rear brace, matts brace , kyb shocks, cobra quad exhaust,P&p cage

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "MrStev3"I like that splitter !!
Will look awesome, the fl bumper needs some aggression added and that's the ticket

Thanks Steve, its one of the better ones for the FL 2s IMO, the side vents from the GB have made hell of a difference to the overall look need to pull it out the garage and take some pics after its been washed as its soooo dusty hasn't been driven in months   s:( :( s:(  

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

MrStev3

I did look at the side vents for the sprint car but I didn't have spare dosh with paying race fees and hotels and all that stuff.

Dust it off and get it out on the open roads
Mitsuko the mr2
federal rsr, lenso spec c wheels, ebc turbo grooved discs, ebc yellow stuff pads, tein springs, omp trs seat, Trs harness, rogue seat frames, k&n filter, stripped out interior, toyo sports manifold, Hardtop, rouge hardtop fitting kit, ultra racing front strut brace, Ultra racing lower rear brace, matts brace , kyb shocks, cobra quad exhaust,P&p cage

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "MrStev3"I did look at the side vents for the sprint car but I didn't have spare dosh with paying race fees and hotels and all that stuff.

Dust it off and get it out on the open roads

yeah i can imagine thats expensive, i hopefully will be looking into using the car for more competition type stuff next year might even join you in the sprint series  s:) :) s:)

fingers crossed if all is well and good she'll be coming out this weekend   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tommyzoom99

Few pics of the vents fitted and the sump is attached and test fired the car with no leaks   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Gave her the first wash in months came up quite nice, all ready for Oulton park on the 20th November..........cant wait

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

tommyzoom99

the vents till need a bit of a compound and buff to shine them up but very pleased with the oput come

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Jrichards20

Looks really good Tommy! Got a superb little car there!
Street Triple 765 RS

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Looks really good Tommy! Got a superb little car there!

thanks buddy

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

dkirkwood89

Great looking car tommy, and great thread

the vents are a good addition
2004 Red Edition, Hard Top, TRD Short Shifter, CBS CDA Induction Kit

Tags: