NEW PRODUCT! Now testing - Gas strut bonnet kit - PICTURES!!

Started by GSB, September 13, 2004, 15:03

GSB

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Same question.  Do you really only have one go at it?

Same answer...

Quote from: "GSB"It would be possible to re-fill the struts, given a high pressure nitrogen supply and the correct fitttings, but i dont know where you'd go to do it.

Which, in English, means yes. You only get one go at it. Dont bugger it up.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks, Grant.

From your original notes, I could see that the pressure adjustment would be the "fun" part of the job. With any luck, the struts will come with the pictures referenced in your translation and the photos you posted to this thread ought to make the process foolproof. It's easy to visualize the process and I appreciate the writer's thoroughness - almost all of us have had to do a lot more with a lot less.

To adjust the underside of the plastics to allow room for the washers, I'm thinking "Dremel." Regards.

Anonymous

I know that this thread has been dead for a very long time, however I did not want to create a new one.  I am planning on making my own gas struts, however I need to know the correct dimensions.  Can anyone give me the dimensions on one of these struts?  I have found someone who sells gas struts very cheap.  The dimensions of his struts are:

15½" Between CENTER POINT of Ball Mounts (FULLY OPEN)
9" Between CENTER POINT of Ball Mounts (FULLY CLOSED)
Overall 16½" LONG - 5/8" DIA
*50 lbs Pressure

Can anyone tell me if these struts will work on the spyder?  Thanks in advance for your help.

roger

I have the measurements for the front ones, body is 27cms, strut 21cms when fitted giving an overall length of around 48 cms. As long as the body is more than half the required length I guess any size will do. I think these were pressured to 160 Newtons, though we had to take a lot out to get them working properly. What the end result is, is any ones guess I suspect.

48cms = 19" or thereabouts, so yours are too small. Might fit the rear though? The more difficult items though might be finding the correct bolt size on the bottom ball joint and sourcing the correct sized brackets to attach to the hinges.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

hate to bring up an incredibly old thread, but does anyone know any current sources for such a product?  Thanks!

Tem

Quote from: "silencery"hate to bring up an incredibly old thread, but does anyone know any current sources for such a product?  Thanks!

I contacted Markus last year and he said he no longer makes these.  s:( :( s:(  

After that I decided to help a friend out and built him a kit. IIRC, it ended up being roughly 100 euros with 4 gas struts and aluminum brackets. I might be able to get the gas strut specs, if anyone wants to find them from local stores. They were all aftermarket struts for other car models (which came from factory with them) and I just chose the proper struts which fits us.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

roger

One of my struts died because I messed up - but a very nice man in Milton Keynes who makes them provided me with a suitable replacement after seeing the original. I can resurrect his name (or Google it because that's where I found him) if required.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

uktotty

Would be interested to find out more Rog, got my back ones in and would love some front ones

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "silencery"hate to bring up an incredibly old thread, but does anyone know any current sources for such a product?  Thanks!

After that I decided to help a friend out and built him a kit. IIRC, it ended up being roughly 100 euros with 4 gas struts and aluminum brackets. I might be able to get the gas strut specs, if anyone wants to find them from local stores. They were all aftermarket struts for other car models (which came from factory with them) and I just chose the proper struts which fits us.

Thanks for the help Tem.  Any chance you can find the specifications?  I have the lengths, but I'm more concerned about the appropriate pressure.  It's pretty easy to find the right length struts here in the US, but finding the right length with the right pressure is a bit more challenging.

Tem

Quote from: "silencery"
Quote from: "Tem"

Thanks for the help Tem.  Any chance you can find the specifications?  I have the lengths, but I'm more concerned about the appropriate pressure.  It's pretty easy to find the right length struts here in the US, but finding the right length with the right pressure is a bit more challenging.

I'll try to get the specs this weekend and get back to you.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Wow... I nominate Silencery for member of the month... The search button truly is his friend, and he clearly demonstrates that it does work as advertised... Newbies take note... :wink

Markus stopped making these a while back, but I know that sBits made some as well, and he put rather a lot of effort into them too. Beautifuly made kit in Black chrome with custom machined spacers. They were available on the twosrus website, but its doubtful thye're still available as I believe peter was a bit disapointed at the time as the mk3 community had rather tighter wallets than his usual Mk2 customers.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

Does Peter still make the front ones as I never was able to get hold of him Grant  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

GSB

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Does Peter still make the front ones as I never was able to get hold of him Grant  s:?: :?: s:?:

I'm not sure he ever even started making them (the front kits). He certainly did a lot of development, and bought lots of parts to make the kits, but I never did see him actually selling any...

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"

Wow... I nominate Silencery for member of the month... The search button truly is his friend, and he clearly demonstrates that it does work as advertised... Newbies take note... :wink

Markus stopped making these a while back, but I know that sBits made some as well, and he put rather a lot of effort into them too. Beautifuly made kit in Black chrome with custom machined spacers. They were available on the twosrus website, but its doubtful thye're still available as I believe peter was a bit disapointed at the time as the mk3 community had rather tighter wallets than his usual Mk2 customers.

Haha, thanks GSB; I graciously accept.  So as not to misrepresent myself though (and to avoid scandal!), I have a low post count, but I'm not a newbie   s:D :D s:D  

Regrettably, twosrus no longer stocks any; I was hoping to find some of sBits kits since those seem the most well-made.

Tags: