WHOOOOOPS - UPDATE - !!

Started by Anonymous, September 19, 2004, 10:48

Anonymous

Friday evening about 7pm, daylight, roundabout exit with tight left turn, two lanes. Dry road, no traffic. No apparent hazards. Bend is sharpish but usually no problem as it straightens quickly as it is a slip road down to a dual carriageway.
My entry speed from the roundabout, because of a slow moving lorry going straight across me, 30mph. Definitely. I was in 4th gear.
Floored it and went round the bend.
Suddenly like a snap of your fingers, the back was out violently to the right and I was not able to prevent the spin. What was I doing? 50? Couldn't have been any more.
Backwards very quickly now as I fought trying to get it into a straight line and did so, but it went past the 180 degrees point and now up the kerb still travelling very quickly as I braked, but skidding on the grass and into the bushes, mainly small conifers, and it was trying to go back over the top of a bloody grass bank!!!
Jesus H Christ. Stopped.
I could tell from the way I was being pinned right back in the corner that one wheel was right up in the air and the right rear was downhill.
No impact at the finish, so through all the shock at the immediate moment (and for some time after, I can tell you), my impression was that I might have been lucky enough not to have done anything big time.
Managed to clamber out with help from passing motorist who had watched the end of it all as he came round the corner behind me.
I could not get around car to survey what had happened. I really was dead lucky not to have gone 15 feet further as there was a gap in the conifers and I would have gone down, probably rolled down, a 30 foot drop on the other side of a steep bank.
Had to wait 45 minutes for RAC breakdown to haul it out, and walked back over the road surface. At the point of my spin there was just noticeably a slipperiness underfoot which suggested diesel/oil - this roundabout is the exit from the main Nissan car factory and lorries are round it all day and night. The breakdown driver agreed this as he was sticking cones about everywhere, and as we stood there talking a Porsche came round the bend and lost it briefly in the same spot as we gawped. He got away with it and gave me a wave. Well done, but small comfort.
Before the car was dragged out I had to sign a disclaimer first that I was responsible for any subsequent damage! But it came out very easily despite being tipped over the top of a bank with the left front wheel 2 feet in the air. I found that mainly it is ruination of both wheelrims on right side from the impact with the kerb - I must have hopped over it at about no more than 40 mph.
Damage to the body is so slight; a slight dent in the door and scratches on door handle, front wing and rear corner (very small). Just can't believe I got away with it!!
I was taken back home, only a mile away, by the tow truck. And a couple of cups of very hot, very sweet, tea. I was visibly shaking as I signed the cheque for £70 for the extrication from the scenery, and it had nothing to do with the money!!
Apart from tearing my almost new wheel rims, the right rear wheel is angled down and toeing inwards, and the car did drive VERY strangely on the short journey to the dealer on Saturday to have it examined. I have bent two suspension bars on lower right side which are being obtained PDQ from local Toyota agent. And am off the road.
Boy did that spin happen FAST !!! I have been a rally driver in the past and thought I could handle a skid, but that was viscious. And at 30 mph you know how good the torque is up through the rev band in 4th.
All I can say is, Be Warned.

Anonymous

Sounds like yet another victim of diesel.     s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Sorry to hear you're off the road but walking away is the best result ever.

Have a search through the threads as this is not the first kerbing incident & you may get some ideas & tips for a cheaper repair bill.

Here are 3 I just found, hope they help:

http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608&highlight=spin+kerb+wheel

http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1246&highlight=wheel+damage+suspension

http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125&highlight=wheel+damage+suspension

Anonymous

Firstly thank goodness your ok. now, you say possible cause could be diesel, did you inform boys in blue of incident, if so did they inform local authoriies of said liquid on road surface. The reason I ask is I feel sure you may have a claim against the local authorities as it is their duty to keep highways to a certain standard, if they were informed they should have attended said scene and laid grit/sand down to prevent any further incidents/accidents.
If boys in blue were called and attended they should have reported possible cause of incident and therefore there is a possiblity you can claim against the unisured bureau for losses.

Anonymous

Yep sounds almost exactly like what happened to me, going round a corner, slippy stuff on the road (in my case coolant and oil).

I fish tailed into a curb and bent my suspension arm, need 2 wheels 1 struct, sway bar and other bits including a rear bumper and 2 tyres, cost was around a couple of grand.

Glad you're alright though.

Not looking forward to winter with all the coutry roads i drive on.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"Sounds like yet another victim of diesel.     s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Sorry to hear you're off the road but walking away is the best result ever.

Have a search through the threads as this is not the first kerbing incident & you may get some ideas & tips for a cheaper repair bill.

Here are 3 I just found, hope they help:

http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608&highlight=spin+kerb+wheel

http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1246&highlight=wheel+damage+suspension

http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125&highlight=wheel+damage+suspension

I know how you are feeling.... the 1st link above is my accident. Exactly the same scenario.

I only needed a 4 wheel geometry check and a new alloy to replace the scratched one (supplied by Toyota 6 months after accident because of bubbling paint).

Puggman

PS What tyres are you running. I binned the Bridgestones for Toyos and wouldn't ever go back.

Anonymous

My damage seems a bit worse than thought last weekend. We could see that the rear suspension has tucked under on the right, and toed right in, and the right pair of wheels were damaged, for sure the rear had had it.
Three of my almost new 17" alloys have been stuffed. The long rim piece (carved off almost as if with an electric saw), from the right rear, looks exactly the same on the other side!! in this case from the inside edge of the left rear. They reckon it's a wonder the tyre is still in place, and not lost pressure. The front right wheel got a knock and cannot be easily repaired (if at all), and the crunch came when they found that wheel to be not running true. I had thought before that point I was going to get away with just two more wheels. Tough, I need three now, and I already had a small self-done scratch on the front left rim....Full set costs £400, they think the tyres are ok to be used again.....The wheel dealer is however waiting for more stock to come in, in about a fortnight.
The Toyota partsman's computer system for the Roadster is so absolutely abysmal - impossible to identify parts needed on saturday to any degree from the on-screen diagrams. I now have one part which is completely wrong.
I am having a non-Toyota garage sort it out (I trust them implicitly), and after some the swopping over of some other bits from left to right, the resultant toe-in and camber is unchanged (obviously the parts they changed were not handed). Latest news is that my garage's manager is up the Toyota workshop trying to identify what parts are needed according to their workshop manual (I have one but it was left in Scotland), probably a shocker at least. I struck the kerb and mounted it at a glancing angle, say 20-30 degrees, hence the slices taken off the wheelrims.
So, be interested to know what other people's experiences are of bits that went on the rear suspension.....

SteveJ

I would suggest you take a look at the problems that Kris Clark had when he had a minor kerbing incident last year.

You need to claim this through your insurance as it IS going to cost you a fortune.

[edit] Read this thread - http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143&highlight=suspension [/edit]

Anonymous

On mine, i had the struct replaced and the sway bar and all the linkage bits and bobs.

I kept the axel.

Don't know in any detail because elephant wouldn't give me any more info than the total exces cost.

I do know that all in all it cost a couple of grand to repair and the only real visable damage was scuffing on the alloys and a inwards tilt to the rear wheel.

LeeUK

I had a very similar incident last year:

Fortunately the Police were called and the accident was put down to the fact that some muppet had spilt diesel all over the road.  I managed to claim my no-claims back as the road belonged to BAA and it was their responsibility to keep the road safe.

I have only just this week finished settling with the insurance company.  It's a very long process and Direct Line didn't help to say the least.  Best bet is to be persistant if you decide to try and make a claim.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Tags: