Spare tyres and front load space

Started by Anonymous, July 22, 2003, 09:16

Anonymous

Just how much room is there in the front of the new '2 with the spare wheel in place? Could anyone supply me with a picture?

I've heard that some people take out the spare wheel completely and use some kind of gunky stuff for punctures. How does this work? Do you spay it into or onto the tyre itself or what? I know that the new MINI uses this technique as did the old Ford Racing Puma.

Anonymous

here ya go!

I keep it in - there is a fair amount. If you take the wheel out the alarm is exposed, so you would need to be careful you dont damage it.

mph

Tyre Weld - ditch the spare and buy a can of this stuff. Sure, the alarm is a complete pain to pack around but with the spare gone, there's an awful lot of space with which to pack creatively!
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"Tyre Weld - ditch the spare and buy a can of this stuff. Sure, the alarm is a complete pain to pack around but with the spare gone, there's an awful lot of space with which to pack creatively!
I'll second that.

--H--

Anonymous

Ok, I took my spare out today to substitute a can of tyre-weld. There is a HUGE amount of space left, with the alarm siren left annoyingly in the middle.

So I un-bolted the alarm, and used a couple of self-tappers to screw it to the left hand side of the bucket. Now I have 2 questions.

1) If I rip up the plastic surrounding the bucket and relocate the siren underneath it, is there somewhere there to put it, and can Toyota sell me more of the plastic lugs that attach the plastic bit to the car?

2) Is the car set up so precisely to take into account the weight of the spare that I am going to suffer a premature demise due to unexpected understeer on my way to work tomorow?

Fanks

Anonymous

Quote from: "radar monkey"Ok, I took my spare out today to substitute a can of tyre-weld. There is a HUGE amount of space left, with the alarm siren left annoyingly in the middle.

So I un-bolted the alarm, and used a couple of self-tappers to screw it to the left hand side of the bucket. Now I have 2 questions.

1) If I rip up the plastic surrounding the bucket and relocate the siren underneath it, is there somewhere there to put it, and can Toyota sell me more of the plastic lugs that attach the plastic bit to the car?

I would say yes. There is a lot of space there apparently, never looked myself. My German MR2 has an alarm and the siren is not in the bin.

Quote2) Is the car set up so precisely to take into account the weight of the spare that I am going to suffer a premature demise due to unexpected understeer on my way to work tomorow?

Fanks

I took my spare out the day I got the car, 2 years ago tomorrow and never had problems. I did put it back in during the first winter to assist stearing in snow and wet, but last year I didnt bother.

mph

1) Yes, there's enough space to relocate under the vanity cover.

2) No, it isn't that finally balanced that you'll mess up your balance.

NOTE: Moving your alarm module may void it's certification, which in turm may void your insurance. As with any modification, always best to get advise first.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Darth Paul

Quote from: "radar monkey"1) If I rip up the plastic surrounding the bucket and relocate the siren underneath it, is there somewhere there to put it, and can Toyota sell me more of the plastic lugs that attach the plastic bit to the car?

You won't need new ones. Take a biro, and gently push the centre of the lug down. It will pop in a few mm. Then the whole thing lifts out. To put it back in again simply push the bottom of the lug (the part that you had previously pushed down) so that the centre pops up and sits proud by a few mm of the surface of the rest of the lug. Put the lug in the hole and push the centre down so it sits flush again. Voila.

DP

Anonymous

Am I the only one that thinks that removing the front wheel really upsets the balance without suspension mods?

markiii

I agree, took mine out, hated the understeer, and put it straight back.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"I agree, took mine out, hated the understeer, and put it straight back.

Word    s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

I keep mine in also.

Tyre weld's not meant to be to good for a slashed/damaged sidewall and I'll be buggered if I'll let my '2 be hooked up to Jim Bob's recovery vehicle to be towed. I keep the spare for such occassions - less relevant I suppose if you only do short journeys.

Anonymous

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"Am I the only one that thinks that removing the front wheel really upsets the balance without suspension mods?

I've only ever found that under more extreme conditions (ie on track). For normal road use, the difference is negligible. Of course, if you drive on the road as though you were on track, then you might notice...

Anonymous

Here is my boot (or is it bonnet?) space.

Note my alarm is not mounted in this area!

Anonymous

Victor, can I ask where your alarm is then? May be a good place to put mine!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I dont know it was a MRT fit at the port at point of import. Unlike the UK fit, its bloody loud as well.

If I get time tomorrow I will remove the plastice cover and see if I can find it. I guess it could be near the horn somewhere.

Anonymous

Reporting back on my little experiment.

I noticed a definite (although not drastic) change in the cars handling and general 'feel' when I removed the tyre. I can't say I suffered any adverse events, but I had far less confidence in taking it fast through a corner. This was most apparent when I put a heavy tool box in the front which weighed about the same as the spare, and it just felt more planted, less wafty.

The spare is back in.

Tags: