The Mohair roof thread

Started by Mike G, December 7, 2014, 19:59

Superluminal

Quote from: Topdownman on January 20, 2019, 22:07
The black material is better quality than the coloured ones he uses (he will tell you that!).

Great tip, thanks. You made my decision easier!

paulj

I've got black on blue after the same advice. He told me what he thought of the blue material and I needed to refer to a Celtic dictionary for some of the words. My black looks good three years later, good value
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Robos_mr2

Booked mine in for April, he said the extra £30 is because he now includes new drain bags? as he has found they always need replacing and he didn't like to ask for the extra after quoting. Travel lodge booked for £29, hopefully be a good drive down on some nice roads through Wales and a night out with the Mrs!
👍

tricky1138

Quote from: Robos_mr2 on January 23, 2019, 20:22
Booked mine in for April, he said the extra £30 is because he now includes new drain bags? as he has found they always need replacing and he didn't like to ask for the extra after quoting. Travel lodge booked for £29, hopefully be a good drive down on some nice roads through Wales and a night out with the Mrs!
👍

I'd confirm that it includes the actual drain bags, and that's not just the extra labour cost of replacing them? When I got mine done a few years ago I had to get new bags from Toyota and they are about £50 each!!!

2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Robos_mr2

I presume it's because they are made in house so cheaper than Toyota?

Superluminal

I understood that if I wanted the soft top drains done I'd need to get hold of them in advance. I'll give him a call.

Superluminal

Any opinions if it's worth doing the drains as a preventative measure whilst the roof is being replaced? If they are £100 extra to buy from Toyota it seems like a waste of money unless they typically deteriorate and split at the 15 - 20 year point! I'm not aware that they do...

tricky1138

Quote from: Superluminal on January 28, 2019, 15:02
Any opinions if it's worth doing the drains as a preventative measure whilst the roof is being replaced? If they are £100 extra to buy from Toyota it seems like a waste of money unless they typically deteriorate and split at the 15 - 20 year point! I'm not aware that they do...

I'd say they are def worth doing. Its a roof off job to replace them, so might as well be done at the same time.

They are made of the same material as the roof, and yes do deteriorate. We are getting quite a few now that have split due to age, so worth replacing them.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Call the midlife!

I took a very good condition roof off a scrapped car that had obviously had a hard top on for most of its life, one of the bags had a wear hole in it from the frame (or something) rubbing on it for a length of time. The rest of the actual fabric of the bag was fairly sound, the process of removing a roof is fairly straightforward but I agree with Tricky, better done as part of the swap itself. If when it comes to it you find they don't need doing you'll be able to sell them on easy enough as there's a bit of a shortage of used ones at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

trebor60

Just got my roof in Swansea, ferry over from IRELAND on Friday night. Dropped the car to Raymond at 8:30 sat morning. Did the Swansea Parkrun, nearby, showered, changed and got some breakfast and collected the car, great job done. Ferry back home sat night. In and out before Brexit !!!
My other car is a Volvo

H1GRM

Hi All,

May be stupid but when my roof is carefully folded down from outside the car I am never sure to try and tuck the rear corners down or leave them slightly protruding.

All advice and insults welcome  :)
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66294.0<br /><br />TTE Turbo 6R4 Forest Green - Y55 GRM <br />Jeep Wrangler - H1 GRM

Topdownman

I would go for the tuck!

Also, as you put the roof down, after you have pushed the window flat, try to push your hand in the middle of the roof between the main roof supports to push the slack in as much as possible to help it sit flat.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

MisterK

This is what you should be aiming for ...no ears, no flaps, no sticky out bits  :)  ;)

My roof has been trained over 15 years to fold down like this  ;D

MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

H1GRM

Wow that is neat.

Thanks - something else to think about.
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66294.0<br /><br />TTE Turbo 6R4 Forest Green - Y55 GRM <br />Jeep Wrangler - H1 GRM

MartinC

Another from Jack Smith's stable.
You cannot view this attachment.
Martin

Readers ride :- Martin's 2001 Roadster

BahnStormer

Quote from: MartinC on September 25, 2020, 17:47Another from Jack Smith's stable.

That really is pretty decent looking for the money... and mine folds up/down with one-hand... although normally needs a few slams to click it in place... recently seems to have got a bit fickle with latching back up, but I think that is due to the dash cam wiring near the latch.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

rusty0273

Anybody know if a Grey or Blue/Grey softop is available from Jack Smiths or elsewhere? To fit a sable grey car. Tried Googling for images but nothing pops up so far.

Joesson

Quote from: rusty0273 on October  1, 2020, 10:58Anybody know if a Grey or Blue/Grey softop is available from Jack Smiths or elsewhere? To fit a sable grey car. Tried Googling for images but nothing pops up so far.

Certainly available from Swansea, but:
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?msg=787028

Iirc @jvanzyl has a blue roof, maybe he will pop in and comment.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Joesson on October  1, 2020, 11:56
Quote from: rusty0273 on October  1, 2020, 10:58Anybody know if a Grey or Blue/Grey softop is available from Jack Smiths or elsewhere? To fit a sable grey car. Tried Googling for images but nothing pops up so far.

Certainly available from Swansea, but:
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?msg=787028

Iirc @jvanzyl has a blue roof, maybe he will pop in and comment.

Have a look at my bro's thread

rusty0273

Quote from: Turbotrucker on December 14, 2018, 21:26I got mine done on my driveway, by softtopshop. At an eye watering cost of £980.
I think it worth it though ;)
That soft top looks like a super-neat job around the rear window and the seams generally.
Do you know if its Robbins or Haartz?

Bernie

What I will say on this topic is you get what you pay for, I wasn't entirely happy at the seam finish and fit around the rear window on the Smiths roof on a few cars I had looked at that had them fitted.

There's no doubt it's value for money but Raymond himself said to me if you want perfection go elsewhere when I was asking for more info and a sample

Haartz tops are machine finished and heat sealed around the rear window seals
Pik of mine shows the difference look at how neat the seams are on the rear and the finishing trim around the window
Everything fits flush and tight with no pouching

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

househead

Quote from: Bernie on October  1, 2020, 21:04You cannot view this attachment.

Showoff :D

What's the charge on one of those?

I'm not in the market myself but I'd be interested to know the difference in cost. It looks flawlessly neat.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Joesson

Quote from: househead on October  1, 2020, 21:07

I'm not in the market myself but I'd be interested to know the difference in cost. It looks flawlessly neat.

But this neatness can only be seen with the roof up and parked, which is, of course, the only time it "should" be up.

househead

2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Bernie

Quote from: househead on October  1, 2020, 21:07

Mine was £891 fitted so as I say if you want a quick cheap fix the Swansea roof is VFM
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Tags: