Stupid EML/OBD Question

Started by uktotty, December 15, 2014, 09:15

uktotty

So yesterday I spent 6 hours removing a standard exhaust and replacing it with a sports exhaust for a member, car had never been fiddled with before so totally standard.
On the way home he got an EML, my immediate thoughts were O2 sensor, but is there a code that says (o2 sensor not installed) or does the standard 141, 155 etc just come up and say Bank2 Sensor 1 etc?
Why do I ask? because maybe in the dark we forgot to reattach the 02 cable after sticking it back in the cat? No need to buy a new O2 if it's merely not plugged in!

Wabbitkilla

You will get codes declaring the sensor faulty and the heater circuit failure (the infamous P0141)

So yes, you may have left it unplugged ... simple thing to check.
Old sensors have a habit of breaking too when the exhaust system is disturbed they can break with very little excuse.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

uktotty

Cheers Nic, so no difference between a removed O2 and a faulty O2?
The guy didn't know one end of a spanner from the other so really didn't want him to start removing stuff!
Sensor could be 9 years old on a 2005 car

Anonymous

Check the code and go from there. Sensor may be damaged from remove and refit, can be fragile

uktotty

Cheers guys, hope he can get a reader then and give me the code.

Anonymous

Tell him to check the tread listing members with code readers, someone local will have one

Tags: