Cars you have dropped or dropped you

Started by Anonymous, July 22, 2003, 13:35

Anonymous

Took a very fine young lady out last night, was coming up to what car racers in the Rhondda call the mad mile. Basically there is a set of traffic lights 2 lanes and a mad road that you can really drive hard. Since having my 2 I have not wanted to risk going all out on this stretch. But last night the young boy in me came out and I was so impressed with the car.

A SAXO VTS was revving up beside me, you know the type ? even had lights on the brake callipers. SAD NOB. He drove off wheels spinning. I took about 2 secs to think why not, I was on his end within seconds and overtook like he was standing still. Not realising what the 2 is capable of I did back down on some bends and the VTS fair play did catch back up. But as soon as I felt the back end feel pritty strong I was gone. I started throwing it around like a go-kart. I love this car much. In the day time too many police about and people who could get hurt. But this was 3am. I new this car was fast but once you get used to the real wheel drive, I cant stress how much fun it was. Don't think ill be doing it again for some time but what a car. And to the mark 2 drives who say the roadster isn't fast. What are you talking about.

Cars dropped so far

BMW Z3
SAXO VTS
FIESTA ZETEC-S

Fluff

Admin edit: lower-cased title

Anonymous

Well only yesterday a corsa overtook me in a 40 zone single carriageway...I was doing 40 or course   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Still cant say I have had anyone have go at me yet. I have had the odd "Kevin" eye it up and down and the odd one or two just plain laugh (some might remember my story), but none have "challenged" me yet. Kinda glad too cos I don't think I would do it. I know what it is capable of........  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I have a feeling there aren't to many "Kev's" around my way........  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

REMOVED BEFORE I GET YET ANOTHER TELLING OFF BY THE ADMINS!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

mph

ADMIN NOTICE
We'd just like to remind you that discussion of illegal activities (for example, 'road racing', driving dangerously, driving without due care & attention, speeding) is neither condoned nor advised by MR2-ROC.

By all means, continue with this thread - but please drive (and post your experiences thereof) responsibly.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Humble Jim

Well said Admin.

Salutory true story for potential speed merchants follows. My son lost his best friend a little over a year ago in a car crash that he wasn't himself involved in. A speeding nutter destroyed himself, his car, and my sons friends car + passenger (his friend) in Derbyshire. My son loves his Dad's (my) 2 but knows all too well its potential for lethal damage. Unlike many of his generation he has a sobering perspective on speeding. He was a pall bearer at the funeral. To see a young lad - only just 18 - do that role was totally gut wrenching and it's a memory forever burned into my head. A 2 is many things to many people but never - ever - forget it's just under a ton of moving metal to anything it hits. Speed does not always equal dangerous driving, but they're often bed fellows.

Sometimes you see the bleeding obvious stated, but every now and again it needs stating just the same...
H&S Exhaust

Anonymous

OK, OK please mr site admin remove my post from the forum. Im sorry to anyone I offended and will drive like my "nan" from now on.

Stick to driving fast on track days.

Plus driving a 2 fast is safer than some of these clapped out motos doing 30mph. But as I want to remain a member of the club please remove thread.

Thanks and sorry

Fluff

Anonymous

Just been thinking, im not sorry for driving my 2 fast. @ the end of the day thats why I got it. We all know people who have died in cars and im sorry to say it will never make us drive slower. My father hit a wall at 120mph when he was a traffic cop I know all too well of things that happen. I did say that it was 3am, two lanes each way. At no point was I doing over 70mph or on the wrong side of the road. Anyone who's got a 2 had hasnt put thir foot down is telling porkies.

fluff

Anonymous

All IMHO of course, but there's a big difference between the kind of driver who buys an MR2, and the kind of muppet who thinks it's funny to drive through my street at 65mph.

I live in north London, and people are killed all the time here by Max Power Muppets who have no idea of their limits or their vehicles. However, most '2 and MGF owners I've met have a considered, careful, intelligent approach to driving fast.

If there's a limit, it's there for a reason. As soon as you see the white sign with a black stripe though through the s-curves... well, it's a little different. That's what we bought the car for isn't it?

And since we're on the topic, I managed to keep up with a 996 Turbo on the way down to Sevenoaks on Saturday. Great fun. The best thing was the wave of acknowledgment I got from the Porsche as he turned off. Oh, and I spotted a great looking Lagoon Blue '2 in Sevenoaks shortly after. Don't think they saw me though  s:-( :-( s:-(

Anonymous

If you want to drive fast, take the car to a track, not a dual carriageway, even at 3.00am.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ender"All IMHO of course, but there's a big difference between the kind of driver who buys an MR2, and the kind of muppet who thinks it's funny to drive through my street at 65mph.

I live in north London, and people are killed all the time here by Max Power Muppets who have no idea of their limits or their vehicles. However, most '2 and MGF owners I've met have a considered, careful, intelligent approach to driving fast.

I know what you mean - was driving to work this morning in a 40 zone and this r00d boy max muppet in his saxo, loud stereo came flying past me and sprayed stones up at my car... little ()£%*&£%(*£%)(£*!!!!!!!!!!!!

Humble Jim

Quote from: "Ender"All IMHO of course, but there's a big difference between the kind of driver who buys an MR2, and the kind of muppet who thinks it's funny to drive through my street at 65mph.

Very true. The ability to drive safely is the key, along with practising it. 2 owners have usually put a lot of cash into their cars, they cherish them and wail when even the smallest marks and scratches appear. So it's likely most will drive far more defensively (carefully) than the muppets or indeed the regular driving population throughout the speed envelope.

The 2 has a class best acceleration - I think that's the bit I really like best, 'getting faster' rather than particularly 'going fast' - and an enviable braking ability, though you have to remember that someone behind will not have that same ability. Going right back to the thread topic, personally I would never 'race' another car in any public environment (i.e. where the public might be) whatever the time of day. IMO if you're fixated on an individual vehicle in such circumstances you are inevitably in danger of losing context and creating blind spots, as is the person 'competing' with you - double danger. If someone sees me in my 2 and wants to run off against me I just let them go. I already know what the 2 can do, I don't have anything to prove to anybody. Maybe it's because I'm over 40 and really know I'm not immortal but a voice from a TV show from long ago comes into my head from time to time.

'Be careful out there'.
H&S Exhaust

Anonymous

Couldn't have put it better Jim........

Anonymous

Quote from: "Humble Jim"I think that's the bit I really like best, 'getting faster' rather than particularly 'going fast'

Yep, I could do 110mph (eventually) and lose my license in my old naff car, having the '2 doesn't change that.

Tags: