Me raving about the Elise again......

Started by Anonymous, October 4, 2004, 09:50

heathstimpson

Quote from: "John Woodward"Like I said, just my opinion. I don't think the 2 looks all that either.
I'm surprised as I think the 2 looks really nice  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

dieamond

There are better looking cars inthe cab segment.

S2000, Elise, Speedster...
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

MRMike

Yeah i really like the way the 2 looks as well, but like John said I bought it for how it handled above all.

If you buy a car for its looks I reckon, over time they will fade, but if you buy one for how it drives, everytime you get in you'll smile.  Which is exactly how i still feel about the girlfriend, er ...2!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

heathstimpson

Quote from: "MRMike"Yeah i really like the way the 2 looks as well, but like John said I bought it for how it handled above all.

If you buy a car for its looks I reckon, over time they will fade, but if you buy one for how it drives, everytime you get in you'll smile.  Which is exactly how i still feel about the girlfriend, er ...2!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I agree but I could not buy a motor that drives brilliantly but looks awefull  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

juansolo

Quote from: "heathstimpson"s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I agree but I could not buy a motor that drives brilliantly but looks awefull  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

I would *pats westfield*
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "juansolo"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I agree but I could not buy a motor that drives brilliantly but looks awefull  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

I would *pats westfield*
Westfields aren't too bad really.

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "John Woodward"Like I said, just my opinion. I don't think the 2 looks all that either.
I'm surprised as I think the 2 looks really nice  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Don't get me wrong. I do like it, but I think there is better out there. I would even go as to say (Lord, smite me down with furious wrath) that the Beemer Z4 is a nicer looking car than the 2!!! And I HATE Beemers!

Maybe I was a little down on the looks, but they are not a priority. I like the 2, but its not what I bought it for.

Am I making sense?  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "MRMike"Yeah i really like the way the 2 looks as well, but like John said I bought it for how it handled above all.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I agree but I could not buy a motor that drives brilliantly but looks awefull  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Depends. I think the Evo looks awful (WAY to Chav), but there are few on here that wouldn't have one if they  were give one eh?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

You do have a point, but its all about degrees of "awfulness"..........

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"
Quote from: "odub"I'd go for a VX220, I personally think they look better than the elise, i don't mind the badge one little bit, but i like their second hand price much.

Kinda along the same lines personally. I think I like the look of the Lotus a little more, but the price of the XV is VERY attractive........

...and other than the Toyota engined one, it has a better engine.

Personally I'd have the VX every time.  I'd have the turbo over the 111R too.

Yeah, been out in the Turbo VX at Motordrive just after the launch and my god what a car!!!! VEry impressed with it and hopefully the price on those will come down enough soon. Always going to be its downfall over the Elise, but always good for us punters........  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Mind you, the 111R IS astonishing and I would definately put it up there with the VXT. That second kick and the fact that it is normalliy aspirated is always going to be a winner for me. Not that I don't like Turbos. Just I always worry about that extra mechanical burden and if it goes pop, then look out for the BIG expense. And there is something so much nicer about the linear responses of a non-turbo car (although the 111R completely disproves that!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"I think a 135 S1 would be a good route to go. Becoming affordable and hopefully should be enough around.

They only made 75   s:( :( s:(   and certainly a few of them have been stacked.

Bugger!! And here is me thinking there were about 200!!!! Oh well, good ones are going to be keep their prices then I would reckon. Tick that one off the list........arse!!!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Quote from: "MRMike"
Quote from: "MRMike"You know series 2 Elise's are not as expensive as you might think..I was surprised  m http://www.christopherneil.co.uk/ m  look in the used cars, there's some nice S2's there for £17,000 and a 111S for £22k.  

I had a look at a S2 135R a few weeks back, which was £27,000 honestly didn't do a lot for me. Also had a look at a VX, the dealer no joke called me 3 times a day for a week, could have ahd that for silly money. Again really didn't do much for me, felt very old and tired after a few hundred miles.

But I kinda know what you mean about it feeling "tired". The ones we drove yesterday looked like a kicked dog and they only had 5-6K on the clock. But, no matter what you think of them looks wise, you really, really can't beat the drive. If a car went any better than an Elise, I wouldn't care if it looked like a housebrick, I would still want one!!!!

The NEW S2K is supposed to be a cracker and they have sorted the handling to a much more forgiving car now. More a long the lines of a slightly snappier Boxter. If you are in the market for a new one, don't rule it out. I would have one!

I don't know why they look so tired really, all the VX's I've looked at look and feel really rough.  The plastic seems to mark easier than the 2's, and the gearbox feels awfull.  However they are a a great drive like you said and you'd be hard pushed to beat the driving experience for the money. I'm sure there must be some good un's around somewhere.

I know what you mean about buying cars for the drive, I'm in love with everything about the S2000, but I just can't love the handling which is keeping me from getting one. (Plus the misses)  And the more I read, the less and less i like them.

Anyways i'm waffling and this is in general!

aaronjb

Quote from: "John Woodward"Am I making sense?  s:? :? s:?

You were, right up until you started talking about Z4's being nice looking cars  s;) ;) s;)   s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote...the Beemer Z4 is a nicer looking car than the 2!!!

Both the Z3 and Z4 are total design failures in my book. They certainly wouldn't pass muster with Chapman. BMW can do far better and hopefully they will, next time around.

In the price range we're talking about, however, the Spyder doesn't have a lot of competition. The S2000 and Boxster both compete with the 2 for looks but are priced a full rank or two higher up the chart. I'm rather concerned about what's been said here regarding the Elise, though. Still typical Lotus build quality, then.

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "John Woodward"Am I making sense?  s:? :? s:?

You were, right up until you started talking about Z4's being nice looking cars  s;) ;) s;)   s:) :) s:)

I wouldn't buy one!!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "southerneditor"

Both the Z3 and Z4 are total design failures in my book. They certainly wouldn't pass muster with Chapman. BMW can do far better and hopefully they will, next time around.

In the price range we're talking about, however, the Spyder doesn't have a lot of competition. The S2000 and Boxster both compete with the 2 for looks but are priced a full rank or two higher up the chart. I'm rather concerned about what's been said here regarding the Elise, though. Still typical Lotus build quality, then.

I didn't say the Z4 was a design classic. I just thought that it wasn't bad. To be fair, when I saw the pictures before launch, I nearly choked thinking it was pig ugly. But, my neighbour bought one not long after and to be honest, in the flesh, close up, its actually a suprisingly handsome, if not that well proportioned car. I wouldn't have one at all, cos 1) they are not supposed to be THAT good and 2) its a BMW for goodness sake. What do you take me for?!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  But is not too bad........

Anonymous

Quote from: "southerneditor"

I didn't say the Z4 was a design classic. I just thought that it wasn't bad. To be fair, when I saw the pictures before launch, I nearly choked thinking it was pig ugly. But, my neighbour bought one not long after and to be honest, in the flesh, close up, its actually a suprisingly handsome, if not that well proportioned car. I wouldn't have one at all, cos 1) they are not supposed to be THAT good and 2) its a BMW for goodness sake. What do you take me for?!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  But is not too bad........

As for the build quality of the Elise, to be fair, the only ones I have driven have been hammered into the ground, taking a LOT of punishment, so it wouldn't supsrise me if things started to fall off and so on. And lets face it, there isn't THAT much in the cockpit to fall off or break is there, so I wouldn't let it put me off buying one. I would just look after it a bit!!!

Anonymous

Whoops. Can someone delete the first reply above please? Sausage fingers.........  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

I think the Z4's alright, me boss has a 2.5 one and I wouldn't say no.  They only look right in black though.

juansolo

Quote from: "John Woodward"I think a 135 S1 would be a good route to go. Becoming affordable and hopefully should be enough around.

Bugger!! And here is me thinking there were about 200!!!! Oh well, good ones are going to be keep their prices then I would reckon. Tick that one off the list........arse!!!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

You'd be surprised.  He was offered 10.5k for it p/x on a Boxster S.  Naturally he told them where to go.  But I would expect to get a minter like his for £13-14k absolute tops.

juansolo

Quote from: "John Woodward"The NEW S2K is supposed to be a cracker and they have sorted the handling to a much more forgiving car now.

There was nothing wrong with the handling of the original S2k.  Same goes for the S1 Elise.  All they do to make them more forgiving is reduce front end grip and / or increase it at the rear to make it understeer.  Which sucks.  

Nothing a bit of driver training couldn't have fixed as ALL of the issues with those cars were driver related.  But no, people go on forums after stacking their S2K/Elise complaining that the car is dangerous, that the car 'just snapped', etc causing Honda and Lotus to 'fix' the problem.  Pisses me right off as I really hate understeer but people wont admit that they ran out of talent.  Must be the cars fault because I'm a great driver...  yadda yadda....

Rant over.

MRMike

Quote from: "John Woodward"The NEW S2K is supposed to be a cracker and they have sorted the handling to a much more forgiving car now.

There was nothing wrong with the handling of the original S2k.  Same goes for the S1 Elise.  All they do to make them more forgiving is reduce front end grip and / or increase it at the rear to make it understeer.  Which sucks.  

Nothing a bit of driver training couldn't have fixed as ALL of the issues with those cars were driver related.  But no, people go on forums after stacking their S2K/Elise complaining that the car is dangerous, that the car 'just snapped', etc causing Honda and Lotus to 'fix' the problem.  Pisses me right off as I really hate understeer but people wont admit that they ran out of talent.  Must be the cars fault because I'm a great driver...  yadda yadda....

Rant over.

Sorry..I don't really agree. Can't really comment about the Elise, but in terms of the S2000, there is a difference between progressive oversteer and the 'snappy' handling the previous S2000 had.  I've had a mate who really was an excellent driver having been sponsored by Red bull during his Karting years, and when he stuffed his S2k it definitely wansn't for lack of talent.  

I take your point that some of these handling issues are blown out of proportion IE Audi TT.  But from personal experience I think the S2000 did have a handling problem.  Fair enough a few might not have been used to a mid engine, RWD powerful car like that, but I've driven quite a number of powerful cars and the S2000 handling on the 01 car scared me because I simply did not know what it was doing.  This is exacerbated by the numb steering as well. The 04 is much bettter in this respect, and to my senses doesn't understeer anymore than the original, which itself I thought was more understeery than the 2.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

You'd be surprised.  He was offered 10.5k for it p/x on a Boxster S.  Naturally he told them where to go.  But I would expect to get a minter like his for £13-14k absolute tops.

Oh crap!!! Don't say that!!!!

Right where is that bookmark for Autotrader........  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Rant over.

No, I am with you 99% of the way with that. Only downside is that the S2K WAS really skittish. My mate, a former TVR Tuscan racer stuffed his royally on a roundabout at relatively slow speeds, saying that the thing just went away from him even though the car felt like it had loads of grip left. And this is coming from probably one of the snappiest cars in history (the Tuscan).

I completely agree with pretty much all of what you are saying, but maybe there is a case to call on the S2K that it was a little dangerous at the speeds that the car should have been well designed for.

And as for dilaing out the understeer on the Elise, Hyla Breeze himself said they had corrected that on 111R and by god, did he prove it by going round the track sideways at will really. I can kind of believe it too cos I was going some myself and even I got the rear to jump out. But not a hint of understeer. The 111S I drove before certainly had a little in it..........

Never driven an S1, so can't really comment.

juansolo

Quote from: "MRMike"Sorry..I don't really agree. Can't really comment about the Elise, but in terms of the S2000, there is a difference between progressive oversteer and the 'snappy' handling the previous S2000 had.  I've had a mate who really was an excellent driver having been sponsored by Red bull during his Karting years, and when he stuffed his S2k it definitely wansn't for lack of talent.  

I take your point that some of these handling issues are blown out of proportion IE Audi TT.  But from personal experience I think the S2000 did have a handling problem.  Fair enough a few might not have been used to a mid engine, RWD powerful car like that, but I've driven quite a number of powerful cars and the S2000 handling on the 01 car scared me because I simply did not know what it was doing.  This is exacerbated by the numb steering as well. The 04 is much bettter in this respect, and to my senses doesn't understeer anymore than the original, which itself I thought was more understeery than the 2.

I take your point but I would also say that a kart is a hell of a lot easier to gather up than an S2K or an Elise.  The initial post may have also been a little bit more harsh than I intended also...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

juansolo

Quote from: "John Woodward"Oh crap!!! Don't say that!!!!

Right where is that bookmark for Autotrader........  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

They're an old car now and everyone wants a Mk2.  Mk1 prices have really taken a pasting.

As for the Hyla comment *thumbs up* 111R then or a Mk1 S135   s:D :D s:D

Tags: