Best road legal track tires

Started by Anonymous, October 10, 2004, 15:43

Anonymous

Been looking to fit a set of slicks or road legal track tires to either a set of stock 15" rims or a set of OZ Superleggera or Kosei K1 15" 7J rims

Came across an advert for Toyo's Proxes R888 road legal track tires:

http://www.toyo.co.uk/tyresales/index.php

They seem to have a good selection of sizes too (unlike so many other manufacturers who seem to only concentrate on 16"+ sizes...)

For an example of choice of track tyres, check the Swiss Yokohama site (I don't know why there isn't the same choice on the GB, DE or FR sites   s:? :? s:?  ) You need to click on "REIFEN" (in the scroll down menu bar) then select "Rennreifen": You have the complete list of available race track tyres with illustrations, etc...

http://www.yokohama-online.com/ch/pages/IEFRAME.HTM

What tyre type and size combination works well for the '2?

Have seen a few examples where the same width of tyre was used front and rear (is that not going to cause oversteer?)

Your experiences, thoughts and ideas on these topics would be much appreciated.   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

This may be off some help, but IIRC TRD recommend 205/45/16 front and 215/45/16 rear for the sportivo kit; hence 16" rims all round.

IMHO this seems to be a little off maintaining the front/rear width difference of 20 mm (or 30 mm for that matter - for '03 on MR2's with 16" rear wheels). Fitting 195 front's or using a 15" front alloy with 185/55 tyres and 215/45/16 rear (as OEM for later '2s) may be better, but saying that I'm sure TRD probably know what they're talking about!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I've been looking at tyre's a bit myself recently (vaguely considering changing the standard alloys for some OZ superleggeras too, but not for a LONG while yet!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ) and 215/45R16 tyres seem to be pretty hard to find other than the OEM Yoko's (as I'm sure '03 onward owners will agree!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ). I was wondering if 225 rear's might fit?

The Toyo Proxes R888 look pretty good (although a bit pricey and probably quite scary in the wet  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ). If you look in the tyre reviews page (see here!) Juansolo recommends some Yokohama Advan Neova LTS as the best road/track tyre's (using 185/55/15 fronts and 215/45/16 rears).

Hope that helps!  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Cheers for your reply.

I started thinking about running on "track" rubber when I realised that no matter what type of road tyre you used (I've tried A043s, S03s and F1s) they all start to overheat and fall apart on race tracks... The only exception is when it rains... in that case I found that nothing comes even close to Bridgestone's S03s in terms of grip and control (not even competition rain tyres can beat them in my opinion).

Anyway, track days are a good reminder that the "road" tyres we buy are in fact *rain* tyres...

When I first switched the original tyres, I was a little bit concerned that if I fitted wider tyres at the front (i.e. 195/50 instead of 185/55) the car's balance would be compromised. However, I came across many articles where they even fitted 205/50 on all four corners and the results seemed OK. Here's one example:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0203scc_projmr2s/

Fitting 195/50R15 at the front and 205/50R15 at the rear did not change anything to the car's balance. Personally, I like those tyre sizes as they are really common and easy to find (and a lot cheaper than 45 series on 16" rims).

I wish OZ would manufacture 15" Superleggeras in 6" (or 6.5") as well as 7"! Kosei too only produce 15"-7J race models (K1). Bummer   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

I would be interested to know if there is another reputable wheel manufacturer out there that makes 15" super light rims in a range of width 6-7J (same model of rim preferably   s:P :P s:P  )

Tem

Quote from: "phat"Your experiences, thoughts and ideas on these topics would be much appreciated.   s:) :) s:)

It's very hard to find the best...something that works perfectly on other car, might not work that well on a '2. And since any road legal track tyre is (or at least should be) a lot better than good performance tyre, everyone gets the idea that the one they tried has to be one of the best  s:? :? s:?

That said...I know Colway Formula 2 works great on Mk1 MR2, might be worth a try? It's even available on the stock sizes.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Hi phat,
i have OZ superleggera (4.9 kg each, ET 37) 15x7 and toyo proxes 888 195/55 and 205/50 rear. I am sure there are not 195/50 and 185/55 measures. However, i did not run on the track with these tyres already, but on the street their grip seems very good, also on wet surfaces. No rub on the fender. I hope that can help you.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mph

Quote from: "phat"(I've tried A043s, S03s and F1s) they all start to overheat and fall apart on race tracks...
A lot of the Elise guys use A032s. I wouldn't have thought you'd overheat them unless you're sliding excessively.

If you're running sticky tyres, I would strongly recommend that you have proper roll-over protection fitted and that doesn't mean style bars. Over here, it's a common stipulation for trackdays now that anyone using slicks must have a cage fitted.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "phat"(I've tried A043s, S03s and F1s) they all start to overheat and fall apart on race tracks...
A lot of the Elise guys use A032s. I wouldn't have thought you'd overheat them unless you're sliding excessively.

If you're running sticky tyres, I would strongly recommend that you have proper roll-over protection fitted and that doesn't mean style bars. Over here, it's a common stipulation for trackdays now that anyone using slicks must have a cage fitted.

Heard a lot of good about the A032s (all except the racket they make).

I'm actually surprised how "cool" some circuit owners are (in France anyway) with regards to (the lack of) roll-over protection... in fact they seem more concerned with the noise than anything else. Mind, in some events, they do ask for a hard top at least (not as good as a cage, but still better than a rag top or nothing at all).

I reckon most tracks are pretty dangerous: gravel pits, walls and steel fences are very common on French circuits; I've already witnessed quite a few flip overs (fortunately no roadsters involved...) The only injuries were the crushed fingers of a passenger who grabbed hold of the roll cage when the car rolled...   s:? :? s:?   pretty nasty!

I can well understand why they would impose roll-over protection with slicks because most "modern designed" cars (i.e. excessively tall and narrow), with the extra grip, would easily roll-over in a spin. However, I've seen several MX-5s and one MR-2s fitted with slicks and they stay flat even if they are spinning out of control (which, of course, doesn't happen very often   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

It's not so much the slicks I'm afraid of, it's spinning off the track and hitting the bank sideways... slicks or no slicks, if the wheels dig into the gravel, chances are you're going to roll and get hurt...

I'm interested in fitting a (proper) roll-over protection, but in a way, I feel it would encourage me to be a little less cautious in the "hot" parts of the tracks... Mmmmh, but then again, it looks cool!    s8) 8) s8)

juansolo

Neovas are the best road/track tyre I've come across bar none.

I wouldn't fit A032R/A048R's/slicks or any other track rubber to a standard Mr2.  It will put massive stress on the car that it is simply not designed to take.  This will significantly shorten the lives and stress things like wheel bearings and brakes.  Your suspension will take a pummelling also.  But my main issue would be oil surge.  If you are intent on doing this, get an oil pressure guage fitted before hand.  Your braking forces and cornering forces will increase dramatically and I've not got the foggiest idea if the oil system in the Mr2 is up to that.  I've destroyed a particularly expensive Cosworth powerplant simply by fitting 32R's to a car and driving it around a track, you have been warned.

Next is the roll over issue and this is a real issue.  I would not fit slicks/ultra sticky rubber to ANY car without proper roll over protection.  Especially if you're taking it out on track.  All it takes is a hot day, the tyres to be at the right temp and you to hit a kerb...  I've seen it happen.  The car even had a half cage in it but it crushed forward of that and broke the guys neck.  DO NOT mess around with slicks without a cage.  Saying that, it's your risk.  Personally I've seen too many cars go over too easily at track days to think it's worth taking the piss on this.

Finally on a practical note.  32R's and thier ilk may be road legal tyres but that's as far as it goes.  They are shit on a road.  You will never get them up to operating temperature on the road, period.  Even the super softs.  They tramline like an absolute bastard and are lethal in the wet.  Get them on a track and they're awesome, if a little snappy.  But they're road legal only in so much that they somehow got e-marked.

Personally I'd fit the Neovas.  They're not as good on the road as the Bridgestones, but they are not bad and they're a superb track tyre.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "juansolo"But they're road legal only in so much that they somehow got e-marked.

I believe the only legal issue between racing slick and road legal tyre is that you need to cut certain amount of the surface. IIRC, it's 17%, but could be something else.

That law might be something completely different, if rally cars wouldn't have to drive from stage to stage through public roads...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Just got a quote for a full set of R888 (fitted on stock rims),

i.e. 195/55 R15 (FR) and 205/50 R15 (RR)

Price including taxes, wheel balance and fitting: £290.

That's pretty cheap in my opinion for racing tires!

Tags: