225/40/16 vs 225/45/16

Started by ShieldsOnTour, March 3, 2015, 11:18

ShieldsOnTour

So, I've always had 225/45/16 T1R's on the rear of mine (that's what Matt had put on it when I bought it from him) as, until this last set, I'd never be able to source 225/40/16's to give them a try. Now I have the smaller tyres on I have to say that the car seems much happier. Just a little zippier and the engine seems to be happier (especially on looooong hill climbs).
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

Wabbitkilla

Yes, it suits the gearing much better imho.
People seem to prefer to say "you're wrong and because Toyo don't recommend it on our rim size it shouldn't be done", but after many happy years i find it's a great choice and works very well with the car.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

AndyM

+1

I run 225/40/16 on mine also and it feels great (and looks good matched with the fronts)
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

stewart@boro

Me too.....just fitted my second set
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

MisterK

I was running 225/45/16 & was happy with them.  Needed a new set of rears last year & Matt had a pair of 225/40/16 available, so I swopped.  Matt did say that acceleration would be better & I must agree, so I'm glad I moved to the lower profile.  I'll keep to 225/40/16 from now on.  Seems we're all in agreement on this.   s:P :P s:P
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Tags: