Rotrex 2zz Roadster - J03's Silver Shed

Started by J03, March 4, 2015, 16:54

Anonymous

Well done that's some serious labour, I hope you are feeling more positive about it now!

J03

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Well done that's some serious labour, I hope you are feeling more positive about it now!

Feeling bruised   s:D :D s:D
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

Swan_Connery

but well worth it I'm sure!

jonty

Good progress!

I see you are giving away the engine - make sure you keep the PAS replacement idler, also you should pull the driveshafts and carrier off the 1zz - they are used too!

J03

Cheers bud, the shafts are already in the scrap bin as I have a set of facelift ones to replace them. I didn't know about the PAS idler though, cheers.

Anonymous

and the fuel rail, and dipstick tube!

J03

Se7en Motorsports ordered me the MWR swap dipstick tube mate. Better do some searching though, see what else needs to be retained   s:) :) s:)  

Is the petrol tank relatively easy to remove chaps?

jonty

not sure about tank, but as Mark said the fuel rail needs to be retained - from your photos it looked to be removed, so I didn't comment previously, but it's definitely worth noting this! As you say, it's probably best to give the conversion some proper research time - you don't want to be doing anything stupid like binning engine mounts you need later...

J03

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Engine mounts are safe mate & will be getting a refurb. Which reminds me, I need to look into buying some poly inserts.

The fuel rail is still in the engine bay, might go for a billet rail & FPR though, but I'll cross that bridge later.

jonty

Find threads for Sammy Sandbag and Curt on Spyderchat... there's loads of info there of what is required... there's no point in you buying kit you don't need, spend the money where it's required!

Just to check - are you going for a C30-94? I've got a 74 on the shelf at my workshop, so at a guess will only push 260ish, but if you're aiming for 350ish then I suppose there will be several areas where our specs diverge (in my case this is a purely hypothetical spec, since I don't have active plans to fit the rotrex yet... got to wait for another year or so and then I think I'll make the MR2 a track/drift car so could do with more midrange...)

J03

It's getting the c30-94 setup out of my Celica mate, plus a lightweight flywheel so she revs up a bit quicker.

jonty

cool sounds like fun! Will the rotrex mount used from the Celica fit in the MR2, or do you need to move to a hot-side installation? 335bhp in an MR2 will be ridiculous!

J03

I'll leave that side up to Stiggy (Se7en Motorsports) His installations really are exceptional, so not worth me trying to figure it all out.

The Rotrex is nice & progressive, so although it sounds like a lot of power it can be quite civilised below 5500k rpm. In the Celica anyway, shedding around 200kg & having RWD should hopefully be a bit of a game changer   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "jonty"cool sounds like fun! Will the rotrex mount used from the Celica fit in the MR2, or do you need to move to a hot-side installation? 335bhp in an MR2 will be ridiculous!

Vietts car was running that kind of power, maybe more on a supercharged 2zz, check it out.

It's also for sale!

jonty

Quote from: "J03"The Rotrex is nice & progressive, so although it sounds like a lot of power it can be quite civilised below 5500k rpm. In the Celica anyway, shedding around 200kg & having RWD should hopefully be a bit of a game changer   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Yes, I'm hoping it's basically NA delivery... that's why I chose to get a Rotrex as well. 260bhp will probably be alright for me in the future, or I'll sell the -74 and get a -94 if that's not enough. They are the same frame so would be an easy change. I want my MR2 as a drift car, so with the 200sx for the track t it may seem that I got things a bit arse-about-face, but it'll be cool to do things a bit differently...

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Vietts car was running that kind of power, maybe more on a supercharged 2zz, check it out.

It's also for sale!

I have a Rotrex C30-74 sat in a box in my workshop, just no time, money or energy for it for at least another year I think!

J03

I've always likened it to having 2 x 2zz's under the bonnet, SC'ing suits this engine so well. To fill out the midrange you'll want a set of stg2 cams in there as well.

jonty

does sound good mate, chop chop with progress please!  s:D :D s:D

J03

FedEx just knocked   s:D :D s:D  

Anonymous

Niiiiice!!

J03

Ordered direct from Malaysia & saved quite a few bob over the prices we get here   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

jonty

interesting...!

Jrichards20

Quote from: "J03"Ordered direct from Malaysia & saved quite a few bob over the prices we get here   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

What wonderful news. I will have to look into the same  s:) :) s:)
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

J03

The definition of rocking horse  sshit shit sshit  just landed. I am going to see if this can be copied before I fit it.

StuC

Is that the abs modulator bracket?

If so, I'd be happy to get a drawing done of it so we can all benefit. There are loads of seriously corroded brackets out there.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

J03

If I get time I'll CAD it up.

Tags: