Greddy emanage tricked into open loop

Started by Davegtst, March 30, 2015, 14:35

shnazzle

Wanted to have another peek at this so pulled my little box of tricks out of the garage and went to have a look at the ECU wiring.
So I've found the TPS (VTA) pin 23 (yellow/green wire) and noticed that my harness splices it into two (green/grey). One direct to the ECU, one to the eManage.

Is it ok to splice into the grounds and ignition lives of the emanage? Would just be easier to wire it all into the emanage harness instead of having to pull grounds and lives from elsewhere
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

Have you had a chance to test whether this kit does successfully invoke open loop on demand?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

shnazzle

I haven't actually.
I had some remaining wiring questions and then the project got overrun by winter  s:) :) s:)  I didn't want to start splicing into wires unnecessarily.
I'm going to test this soon, as I have built Carolyn a kit as well but I won't send it until I know it works.

My wiring questions are:

1) The boomslang harness splits the TPS into two; one to the eManage and one to the stock ECU. I'm guessing this is good because I want the eManage to read the actual TPS value and the ECU to read either the altered or the actual TPS. So I'll just tap into the TPS->ECU wire on the harness then and leave the other one right? That way the ECU will never use it's maps for the VTEC rev ranges I've set, but the eManage will and be in open loop.
2) VTEC drives the relay coil. So this will be wired eManage VTEC to coil+ and coil- to any earth point. Is it ok to use the black ground wire on the emanage connector for this? I'm assuming it's the same circuit, so using this ground should be ok right?
3) Now I need another 5v/12v ignition on to drive the voltage regulator. Again, should be ok to use the red wire on the emanage connector right? I'll check if this is ignition live instead of permanent live. Can't imagine the volt-reg will drain the battery, but I'd rather not.
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Red and black should be just fine.  Yes, red should be spliced into ignition live....

Sounds like it's simple enough..
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

I've just thought of another way to make it much simpler; VTEC 12v feeds the relay coil and the voltage regulator. One less wire.
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

There was a user called DaveGTST on here who did this mod. I think Lee has also done it. Maybe worth getting in touch with those guys?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jvanzyl

I've got Lee's open loop mod. But I've yet to install it... It's on the to do list for ding day! I'm not really competent yet with this side of stuff to explain what I actually have in my possession...

CrazySX

Quote from: "jvanzyl"I've got Lee's open loop mod. But I've yet to install it... It's on the to do list for ding day! I'm not really competent yet with this side of stuff to explain what I actually have in my possession...
Hahahaha.. a bit like me then [emoji14]

When did you go turbo?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jvanzyl

LOL... Noooooo turbo for me... Still NA! Lee kindly modified his old Blue setup to work with NA,.... But it's sitting in a box waiting for ding day to get installed.

shnazzle

Hmm... Just tried it user other power sources and it didn't work...
Back to drawing board. This really isn't difficult!
This reminds me of when I did the skirting boards in my sitting room. Took me ages to get my head around REALLY simple concepts and then I flew through it.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Sorted and tested. Ready to install.
I used a multimeter to act as ecu and a 9v battery to act as the power source for the volt regulator, relay and tps signal. 9v came through and 3.9 when I connected the relay coil positive. Good stuff.

Ordering a nice little black box to hold the electrics instead of the (perfectly adequate) locking nuts box and then putting it in.

...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

Nice one! So when you planning on installing it??

shnazzle

Might try tomorrow if I have time
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

It's tomorrow! you had time yet?? Does it work???

shnazzle

Quote from: "jvanzyl"It's tomorrow! you had time yet?? Does it work???
Have one.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Mod is in and engine still fires, so can't have gone too wrong  s:) :) s:)  
Just need to tweak my map a bit and the vtec range and upload it, then it's time to try it
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Sooo...
[attachment=0:11nrhb19] ia0 The-Office.gif ia0 [/attachment:11nrhb19]

LTFT flat as could be. The difference...oh the difference.

Anybody with an emanage on N/A... DO THIS!

I lowered the VTEC ranges a bit, so it starts to kick in over 30% throttle > 3000rpm.
Basically I just looked at my map and had a look where it starts to go for it and adjusted the VTEC mapping accordingly.

It's such a beautifully simple mod.

I need to tweak it a bit, as when I'm cruising around at 60-70mph the LTFT drops like a mofo. But then climbs again. So there's a tiny rev range where closed loop tuning has taken over and done a -15 on LTFT. Just need to find that range and map it out.
Could really do with a AFR gauge. I have no idea what it's doing now, which is the only part that;s making me nervous. But at no point did it pull power or show any signs of knock. I dare say there's some room for improvement in the map
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

Woooohoooo! Can't wait to get this installed! Roll on ding day!!!

Essex2Visuvesi

Carolyn

Nice one Patrick.  Let me know what I owe you.  I'll PM my address.

lamcote

Wow, sounds good, well done.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

shnazzle

Wasn't my idea but thanks  s:) :) s:)  
I guess first time used on N/A though so that's cool  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Second one for Carolyn is a lot prettier  s:( :( s:(

...neutiquam erro.

jonbill

Nice work

Carolyn

And all labelled up!!! Extra nice one.  Send me the bill.

Tags: