White smoke. Help please.

Started by Alex1197, April 12, 2015, 13:19

Alex1197

Hi there,

I recently purchased a Y reg roadster with 69k on the clock. It has recently been letting out white smoke and a tiny bit of liquid on startup and idle.

There is no gunk on the oil or in the coolant. I am worried after reading about the precats and oval bores.

I have put a link below with a video of it. Any help will be great. Thanks!

m https://youtu.be/fMNOeckkvyk m

Wabbitkilla

The products of combustion at heat, carbon dioxide, and water.
On cold start you will get steam from water condensing in the air, more so in cold or damp conditions and a dribble of water from the exhaust where the water condenses on the surfaces inside the exhaust.

Normal .... Don't panic.
However if you get it when the engine is hot for any length of time then it signals other problems.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Alex1197

Thanks for that advice.   s:D :D s:D  

That video was after it was stood for about 10 minutes idle on a warm day. There is no smoke that i can see when moving along. It does it a tiny tiny bit when hot as well but i really have to go close to see it.

Wabbitkilla

Can't see your video, it's private
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Alex1197

m https://youtu.be/89nBoo1m34Y m

Sorry the video should work now. It does not smell like oil either. Car drives fine as well.

Wabbitkilla

Yup, that's fine, nothing to worry about

Alex1197

That is a relief. Not the hg then? I read its bomb proof on the two.

Wabbitkilla

Unusual for hgf on the 2, once you drive off the exhaust will clear of moisture from the cold start. Every car does this, just some are more noticeable than others.

Alex1197

Thanks for the advice. I will keep an eye on things. Cheers!

Tags: