tyres

Started by angryman, July 2, 2015, 14:31

Jrichards20

The numbers before the letter I.E 82V is the load rating and speed rating. In each case, our cars being very light, are never going to be anywhere near the maximum load rating of normal tyres. So you will be fine with a change in load rating.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Anonymous

If you got a k-series and want more power, just go and see Dave walker at emerald. The man is a genius with them, that and the ecu is fantastic.

ashbuck

ok just off the phone to toyota they confirm that the tires are fine then sawyour posts. Thanks very much for your help first time i have looked into tires. one more question what is the benefit of knowing the DOT ? thanks

rBuckingham are you sure we are not related a surname like that can't be too common  s:P :P s:P
when on the phone to companies do you also say "last name - buckingham - spelt like the palace"

Thanks again everyone.

Anonymous

You never know, and yes people cant understand the ham on the end so always refer to the palace.

ashbuck

haha i know the struggle  s:P :P s:P

ashbuck

Ok last post on this subject. I have narrowed down to 3 tyres
Toyo T1-R
Hankook ventus prime2 k115
Hankook Ventus V12 EVO k110
Yokohama AD08R

Also if I got a 86W instead of V would that make a difference and if I get XL specification on back but not front is that gamma be problems thanks for your help guys

Jrichards20

AD08Rs by far the better tyre of this list.
W instead of V wont make any difference. V is 149 mpg max speed on full load and W is 168mph on full load. So no problems there.
XL probably not going to bother you in your circumstances. usually XL tyres are more expensive, it just means they can take extra load, usually have stiffer tyre walls so can make the ride a bit harsher. But on the back you probably wouldn't feel it.
I wouldn't expect the AD08Rs to come in XL though, so just get them.
Street Triple 765 RS

ashbuck

Thanks for your reply. It's looking good for those then  s:) :) s:) . Just to get an idea for my other motor. Can't afford ad08rs on both. Which would you say is secound. You guys are great help. Thinking o doing a guide for newbies like myself.

Bernie

For a matching set front & back the Toyo's are the best bet
AD08R's are a bit iffy at the limit in the wet !
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Jrichards20

Depends what the other car is really? Some tyres are specifically set up for a car and work better. I know that on an MR2 AD08Rs are one of the better tyres out there, I have driven with a whole range of tyres on the 2, on both road and track, dry, rain and snow. That's how I can give a confident answer for which tyre to go for.

While your other car, may not be suited to any of those tyres. Best to ask on that forum tried and tested tyres.
Street Triple 765 RS

ashbuck

Oh sorry other is mr2 long story lol

Jrichards20

We love stories over here! I think we need to hear it!  s:) :) s:)  

Have a summer and winter MR2 then. That would be your best bet. And whack some winter tyres on the other one. That way, if your worried about the rain in the MR2, use the winter car.

Just to show that i'm not totally against cheaper tyres, try the Lassa Impetus Sports. I have them and couldn't believe how good they were for what I thought was a budget tyre. Was a very similar grip and feel to the potenzas I had on before them.
Street Triple 765 RS

cptspaulding

Had a quick look on t'interweb this affo (sshh, don't tell the boss) & found this comparison of the T1R against a Kumho tyre. Both mid-range.

Thinking I might just give these Kumho's a try.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

cabbydave

I've got another tyre to throw in as my Corolla has a full set of kuhmos on it and to be honest this morning it was faultless in the rain only had one 4 wheel drift on a roundabout that is known to always be slippy. I wasn't driving at 30mph as my route to work is mainly derestricted winding roads and I was late

s12vea

I would have the toyo still, great tyres in wet dry and snow

Great value also.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

cabbydave

I've had some real moments with toyos and my daughter spun her 2 with them on so I'm not a big fan

s12vea

I had them on my 235bhp roadster in the wet and snow and they worked much better than I expected

I would of fitted them to current roadster but the sizes were out of stock so opted for falken fk914's
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

tomaky

Alot has to do with the driving as well Dave, none of us are perfect.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Jrichards20

Quote from: "tomaky"Alot has to do with the driving as well Dave, none of us are perfect.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   That's what my problem is!
Street Triple 765 RS

tomaky

Walls/Kerbs they all  spiss piss spiss  me off.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

krazysteve

Just to throw a spanner in the works, i was using Tr1s but this time have fitted Potenza'a tbh i think they are better, also seem better in the wet.
I don't fit 185/455/15 on front, gone for 195/50/15 more choice and i can not fault the way the car handles.
 m http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/b ... -82w-72434 m
RACING, because football, cricket, rugby and golf only need ONE BALL

Jrichards20

Potenza are what the car was modelled on, or other way round, the Potenza's where suited to the car once it was built. Either way, this was Toyotas factory choice for tyres for a very good reason.
Street Triple 765 RS

Treboeth

Quote from: "krazysteve"Just to throw a spanner in the works, i was using Tr1s but this time have fitted Potenza'a tbh i think they are better, also seem better in the wet.
I don't fit 185/455/15 on front, gone for 195/50/15 more choice and i can not fault the way the car handles.
So what size/make have you got on the back, for curiosity  :-) :-) :-)

krazysteve

Quote from: "Treboeth"
Quote from: "krazysteve"Just to throw a spanner in the works, i was using Tr1s but this time have fitted Potenza'a tbh i think they are better, also seem better in the wet.
So what size/make have you got on the back, for curiosity  :-) :-) :-)
205/50/15, trust me the car handles well, had a week in Germany to try it out.   s:D :D s:D   Just more choice and better price with the 195's.
Think i paid £192 delivered and £15 fit & balance all 4. (Tyreleader) just had to wait for delivery a bit longer than if it has come from UK.
RACING, because football, cricket, rugby and golf only need ONE BALL

Treboeth

Quote from: "krazysteve"205/50/15, trust me the car handles well, had a week in Germany to try it out.   s:D :D s:D   Just more choice and better price with the 195's.
Think i paid £192 delivered and £15 fit & balance all 4. (Tyreleader) just had to wait for delivery a bit longer than if it has come from UK.
Interesting to know, mine are face lift though so a bit trickier  s:( :( s:(

Tags: