tyres

Started by angryman, July 2, 2015, 14:31

Ardent

Quote from: "cptspaulding"FL sizes or PFL? I've been searching for a FL sizes to go all round & so far only found
AD08r
Toyo T1R
Dunlop Sportmaxx (I think)
Falken ZE914

From the research I've done, tyres appear to be a personal preference. Some can't see past the Toyo proxes whilst others can't abide the feel that the soft sidewalls give.

Have been following this thread and for face lifters, trying to get a matching set front and back is proving more difficult than i had imagined.

Edit
after more research looks like the dunlops can be kicked into touch as well.

mr.tourette

bought mine with falken ze914 on it,  cant comment on other tyres but these feel very good to me,  dry weather only as its just a sunny day car for me but I've put the old girl through some spirited miles these past 2 weeks and not a single moment where i thought i could do with a bit more grip  s:D :D s:D

ashbuck

ok almost sorted just for reference would it be bad to have xl on the front and normal on the back?
Also would it be able to use H rated tyres on a car that require V thanks

Jrichards20

recently been asked, there is a search bar at the top which will help you.

XL will be ok, just means that the tyres are able to take a heavier load, wont effect you drastically, but certainly wont help any handling.

H means that the maximum speed you can go is 130mph under full load. Fine for aslong as you stick within UK speed limits, but not good for your insurance, who inevitably wont pay out if you have a crash and they find lower speed rating then stated.

I just don't understand why people are so lax about tyres. Just spend the extra £100 on a decent set of tyres that are going to work. Sorry to be harsh, but its a MidEngine RWD car that you have, not a beaten up banger, if you cant afford tyres, look into something else. It's also the other people that you put at risk because you wont put recommended/good tyres on that will improve your grip, instead cheapest ditch finders that are more likely to send you spiralling into a pedestrian than some good quality rubber.

/rant over
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

shnazzle

Quote from: "Jrichards20"I just don't understand why people are so lax about tyres. Just spend the extra £100 on a decent set of tyres that are going to work. Sorry to be harsh, but its a MidEngine RWD car that you have, not a beaten up banger, if you cant afford tyres, look into something else. It's also the other people that you put at risk because you wont put recommended/good tyres on that will improve your grip, instead cheapest ditch finders that are more likely to send you spiralling into a pedestrian than some good quality rubber.

/rant over

here here!
...neutiquam erro.

mrsmr2

I haven't posted here in ages but the thought of someone getting T1-Rs forced me to post  :-) :-) :-)

Don't get them if you value the sharp steering of the MR2 - the sidewalls are so soft they remove the direct steering.  You can over inflate them to remove the softness but then you have no grip.  They will also wear out quicker than normal tyres so there isn't a price advantage either.

I had mine with RE040s which were very good, but are tramline'tastic.  Then T1-Rs which I was happy to get rid of.  Then Yoko Advan Neovas (facelift only), which are fantastic but very expensive.  I'll probably go back to RE040s if the Neovas ever die.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

shnazzle

Reminds me; For the (ridiculous?) amount of praising I do of the Yokohama AD08s, "tramline'tastic" doesn't even begin to describe them.
It's something I more than happily accept, in trade for the benefits they provide. But the AD08s do mean both hands on the wheel at all times because it will follow any warp in the road surface
...neutiquam erro.

Jrichards20

Quote from: "shnazzle"Reminds me; For the (ridiculous?) amount of praising I do of the Yokohama AD08s, "tramline'tastic" doesn't even begin to describe them.
It's something I more than happily accept, in trade for the benefits they provide. But the AD08s do mean both hands on the wheel at all times because it will follow any warp in the road surface

You praise AD08s?..
Street Triple 765 RS

shnazzle

Kidding me? I've got a shrine in my house for my AD08s. I wish my kids were AD08s.
...neutiquam erro.

Jrichards20

Quote from: "shnazzle"Kidding me? I've got a shrine in my house for my AD08s. I wish my kids were AD08s.

My post was sarcastic   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

GLOL!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I wouldn't let Mrs Shnazzle hear you say that!
Street Triple 765 RS

shnazzle

Quote from: "Jrichards20"
Quote from: "shnazzle"Kidding me? I've got a shrine in my house for my AD08s. I wish my kids were AD08s.

My post was sarcastic   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

GLOL!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I wouldn't let Mrs Shnazzle hear you say that!

I think she'd agree  s:) :) s:)   She's got petrol in her veins as well
...neutiquam erro.

cptspaulding

Quote from: "mrsmr2"T1-Rs
Don't get them if you value the sharp steering of the MR2 - the sidewalls are so soft they remove the direct steering.  You can over inflate them to remove the softness but then you have no grip.  They will also wear out quicker than normal tyres so there isn't a price advantage either.

Amen to that.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

maybeturbo

You can get TOYOS with XL rating you know. as in extra load. With a firmer wall. Worth a go if that's your main concern.

Tags: