So what do we do when there are no MR2s left?

Started by stargazer30, July 25, 2015, 13:49

wafers

Wait until Toyota brings back the MR2 marque? Surely they'll eventually realise they're missing a trick?

Bernie

Quote from: "wafers"Wait until Toyota brings back the MR2 marque? Surely they'll eventually realise they're missing a trick?

If Mazda can sell shedloads of these bulbous monstrosities then there is a market !

I happened across one yesterday and whilst I didn't mind the earlier versions this one particularly from the rear is hideous IMO

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

stargazer30

I like the mk3 MX5 to be honest and its the only one I can fit in as the wheel adjusts upward and outward.  What put me off them was a combo of;

Really crap MPG for the power (about 25 mpg vs 30+ in the 2)
2L is too heavy and therefore no quicker than an MR2
The early mk3's had messed up suspension thanks to a late change in safety regs.  They look like they are on stilts, newer ones too much £££.

I am still liking the new 2015 MX5 though, looks like Mazda fixed this by making it lighter and giving it more BHP.  The power to weight on the new MX5 is quite close to the (current FN2) Civic Type R   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

tomaky

Still only 0-60 in 9 seconds tho isnt it?
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Topdownman

Quote from: "tomaky"Still only 0-60 in 9 seconds though isnt it?

I think that is the 1.5 you are thinking about, I seem to remember something like 7.9 for the 2.0? The new MX5 is probably the only realistic option that is close to the 2 at present although its not something most of us on here would really consider as its not as good a drivers car? Hopefully by the time they are running out there will be some more options.

Of course the 2's are going to run out sooner if Tom keeps buying them all. (Just sayin'!).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

tomaky

Ah hust read the article i was recalling, thats the 1.5 129bhp model that does 9 seconds
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

tomaky

Think the sable might be put on the road this week if i dont sort the brake line out before friday.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

CrazySX

I think look after your MR2 and you won't have to worry.

Get under the car, clean up the rust and treat/paint it.

Cavity wax all the box sections.

Look after the bodywork Polish and wax often.

Make sure you do regular oil changes and keep a spare 1zz if it comes up cheap.

I think the 2 is a great car! And I think it will last for years if looked after as well as rise in value.

High mileage is not a problem if looked after.

The only comparable car in my honest opinion is a mk1 mx5. But most are rotten now unless you buy a eunos. But then again if u really wanted you could always import an MR-S turbo  s;) ;) s;)

stargazer30

Some interesting comparison stats, all based on Parker's data so might not be 100% dead on accurate but its a consistent comparison.

Model > 0-60 >  bhp per ton
Mk3 MR2 FL > 7.7 > 134
2015 MX5 2L > 7.1 > 150
FN2 Civic Type R > 6.4 > 156.3  (note - Honda shortened the gears to hit that 0-60)
GT86 > 7.4 > 158.9
Honda S2000 > 6 > 190.5

Its suprising just how quick the S2000 is on paper.  When I drove one it felt quite slow but that was jumping out of a charged Mr2 running 230bhp   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Lee H

S2000 is deceptive to me as its quite a bit bigger and sturdier than the MR2 so doesn't feel as nippy or agile but when driven properly (high revs) it is a fairly quick car. In vtec it is amazing how quickly it picks revs up compared to a 2ZZ for example.
2000 black Roadster - hardtop, 16" Rota Grids with T1R\'s, TTE springs, TRD bodykit, JDL spoiler, 2.0 16v turbo swap with forged internals, Apexi AVCR, Apexi intake, ST205 chargecooler, JP custom exhaust, Accord Type R Recaro\'s

wotugonado

S2000 left me for dead on a local dual carriageway,  but I cant get past the styling. Inside is nice but externally its very uninspiring to be polite.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

nimrod

Is it just me but the new MX5 looks ugly, yet to see one in the flesh though.

Spike

Just shows how beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I've just sold my MR 2 to buy a S2000! A big part of my choice was the looks!! I think the only car that will be around with comparable cost I'm afraid is the MX 5.

Mightyquin

I started looking for an MGF (sorry!) before considering the MR2. I also looked at MX5's but most had rotten sills and I really don't like the Mk2 looks so it would have to have been a Mk1. I was put off the MGF by the head gasket issue - honestly, two cars I was due to go and see had head gasket failures between me enquiring and going to see them! I drove one and it was terrible - although I suspect the hydra gas suspension was shot (the seller claimed it had been lowered, hmmmm.....).

My mechanic put me on to the MR2 Roadster. It had been totally off my radar! I think at the back of my mind i assumed they'd be too expensive (I had a budget of up to £2K) and I liked the 'funkiness' of them.

Another car that's certainly now in the MR2 price range is the BMW Z3 but I think it's more of a cruiser than sports car. I like them though, more so now than when they first came out, the shape has improved with age!

But I see no reason to think that there'll ever be 'no MR2's left'. A future classic as I've said!

wotugonado

Quote from: "Spike"Just shows how beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I've just sold my MR 2 to buy a S2000! A big part of my choice was the looks!! I think the only car that will be around with comparable cost I'm afraid is the MX 5.
Yep its definitely a personal choice. But looks wise, especially with a hardtop fitted , its proportions look all wrong imo, seats are too far back making its front bonnet look way to long.

My neighbour had a newish mx5 with bodykit and although it was only a subtle kit, made a massive difference. I actually quite liked the look of it   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Joesson

What kind of cheese was that?

Eastsoutheast

Quote from: "Joesson"I find it difficult to compare an Elise or a VX to a 2, simply on acquisition cost, let alone cost of replacement parts.
Surely comparisons should be made within some parameters and the most finite I suggest is price.
I also suggest that at the moment the 2 represents very good value on the smiles per mile per £ (spm£).
There will certainly be those that disagree but the only cars that could be in the same group on the above basis  would be:
MGF and MX5!
We will all have our opinions of these marques and so unless you want to end up with one of those....
Be sure to look after your 2  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I agree with you and wasn't trying to draw any direct comparisons. The MR2 is that good a car that mine was a small list of cars I would consider as alternatives. I would expect an MGF of similar vintage to be a very troublesome relationship but I have no real facts to support this view.

I also hope everyone looks after their car and keeps a healthy number of 2's on the road.

StephenBennett

It's really annoying - mine is 13 years old (60K) and in really good condition but, like its owner, it's feeling its age.

Had a look at the Alfa 4C the other day - around a ton, 1.8L turbo - it made me realise what the MR-3 MK3 could have become if it had been developed further.

I have hopes that the MX5 - based Fiat 124/Alfa Spyder might be something that's fun to drive - especially the one with the 4C engine.   s:D :D s:D  

Stephen

mr.tourette

i guess it will be a boxster next for me,  nearly bought one before i settled on the 2, the running costs put me off a bit... the 2 will see me till the mortgage is finished then will probably go for the porker

StephenBennett

The fact that we all think that the only real alternatives to the MR-2 are going to cost £30K+ new surely should make Toyota realise what they have on their hands here!

I dream of s Turbo'd TTE - like, slightly lighter MR-2, with an updated body and modern electronics.

GT86s are even more rare - nice though it is, I don't see it as a success story for Toyota and definitely not a natural replacement for the MR-2.

Stephen

mr.tourette

who knows... a mk4 could turn up one day, a real shame to see this iconic car dropped from their line up

StephenBennett

I just realises that the Lotus Exige/Evora uses the Toyota V6 (350bhp) - that'd do nicely in a MR-2.

Stephen

ayresyboy

Quote from: "StephenBennett"I just realises that the Lotus Exige/Evora uses the Toyota V6 (350bhp) - that'd do nicely in a MR-2.

Stephen
There are compromises but putting your foot flat down and unleashing the power of a 2GR puts a grin on your face every time.

https://vimeo.com/135274851
SW20 Gen4 Turbo // SW20 1MZ V6

Leethesparky

Anyone that has a mint condition standard 2, won't have to worry too much about their next choice because it will be probably worth as much as a new elise   s:D :D s:D
MR2 mk3 2001 -- done some stuff to it.
My car thread---http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53643
My YouTube channel---- https://www.youtube.com/c/spyderlee

StephenBennett

Quote from: "Leethesparky"it will be probably worth as much as a new elise   s:D :D s:D

It should be!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I see all these Spitfires and MGs and Fiat 500s going for 10K and look at our almost perfect mid engined lovely and think the world's gone mad!

Stephen

Tags: