6 Speed box

Started by Standard, July 31, 2015, 09:36

Standard

Hi,

I'm going to look at another car this weekend (the last one fell through at the 11th hour).

Do all face lifts have a 6 speed box? The one I'm going to view is an early FL (2003).

Same question relating to larger back wheels too.

Thanks   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Yes all genuine facelift cars have larger rear wheels, 6 speed box etc. there wasn't (to my knowledge) and half way house / part facelifted cars

Standard

So if this early facelift car has a 5 speed box I should be suspicious.

Is there any difference  between them?

IMO the 5 speed box on a mk1 Focus is loads better than the 6 speed box on the ST170 in both feel and ratio.

Anonymous

Is there any difference? Yes, roughly one gear  s:D :D s:D

The 6 speed box is practically a 5 speed with a motorway 6th gear

If the car is a facelift and a 5 speed then it doesn't have the original gearbox.
That doesn't mean you should ignore it though might be innocent

Bumbl3

I have just bought another mr2, another pfl. But this time no engine and box and im looking to put a 6 speed in. (Purely through choice)
In last car i did alot of motorways, the noise did my brain in especially with tte exaust burbling with it.
If it has different box ask the question why did you swap? Most people are honest it may have been a mistake if merchanic didnt know car, the merchanics that did recognise my car thought it was 6 speed. ( in fact it was 5 speed)

Standard

Just came back at from a test drive...

It did have have a 6 speed box and seemed solid enough, however, while it wasn't smokey on start up it was when warm and revved... Put a rather large pre cat failure sized fly in the ointment.

89k, 3 owners, MOT till Feb, 04 plate, silver with red leather, new toyos all round... He would accept £1800 cash. But that smoke at 4.5 can't be ignored.  s:( :( s:(

cabbydave

White smoke on first start up might not be bad. When was it last used? how cold was the air temperature? You are aware that for every gallon of petrol used it is converted to 1 gallon of water out the exhaust in steam form.

Standard

It wasn't white/grey smoke though. It was black.

The oil looked very fresh and I waited for the engine to warm up before testing the car... Once I'd took the car for a, ahem, thorough test drive I pulled over and tested it. It was noticible but only under enthusiastic jabs at the accelerator.

Anonymous

Blue or black smoke?

Standard

Definitely black.

Is that bad news?

We are going quite off topic now so mods feel free to move!

Tags: