17" wheels on post '03 car

Started by roger, November 12, 2004, 13:19

roger

Not that I am thinking of doing it (...yet), but I wondered.

If you swop the 15" front and 16" rear for 17" on both, won't the front of the car be 1/2" in the air, or do you buy tyres with different wall heights to compensate?

1/2" might not be too much, but everybody talks of significant handling problems with mixed tyres, wrong pressures etc., so would this affect it?

roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

dreambackup

why wouldn't you use 16" for front and 17" for rear? I really love the look of the MR-S with bigger wheels at the rear  s8) 8) s8)

oh, and btw, yes, you are supposed to use lower profile tyres  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

roger

Quote from: "dreambackup"why wouldn't you use 16" for front and 17" for rear? I really love the look of the MR-S with bigger wheels at the rear  s8) 8) s8)

oh, and btw, yes, you are supposed to use lower profile tyres  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I was thinking of 17" all round, but yes, I reckon 16" on front and 17" on rear is another option.
Roger

LeeUK

Quote from: "dreambackup"oh, and btw, yes, you are supposed to use lower profile tyres  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

No it's wider tyres on the back not a bigger profile!

My car doesn't look higher at the front.

It gives an even gap between arch and tyre all round, look at my car before I fixed it:   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

As you can see on the last picture the gap between the arch and tyre is much larger on the front than that on the back the larger tyre on the front fixes this.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Go on man, big wheels and lower it....Do it, do it, do it.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

LeeUK

Sorry, also the handing is great.  Far better than before, especially in the wet!  I have Toyo proxes T1-S 205-40-17 on the front and 215-40-17 on the rear.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

roger

Quote from: "LeeUK"Go on man, big wheels and lower it....Do it, do it, do it.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Thanks for info Lee. Lowering, new wheels and tyres all a bit expensive. I'll take it a step at a time, one day.........

roger
Roger

Tags: