My Sable 2005 MR2 - shnazzle

Started by shnazzle, August 27, 2015, 15:20

shnazzle

Quote from: "CrazySX"
Quote from: "shnazzle"
Quote from: "CrazySX"I know that's why I said what mods do u have to make to make the power lol!

What mods do u have? TTE exhaust? MANIFOLD?
Read the thread! Haha.
Yes TTE exhaust and de-pre-cat
And removed the restrictive corner intake pipe
So Markii pipe, decatting precats and TTE exhaust could achieve 158bhp with a emanage blue??? I have all these mods you see. Just need a cable for the emanage to connect to the car!

I swear I am blind. I have only seen that you have a TTE exhaust. Havent seen anything about any other mods in this thread.

Nope, no markiii pipe. Just removed the pipe that the markiii replaces.

So a K&n gen2 intake, tte Exhaust, de-pre-cat and emanage blue achieves 158. But I'm guessing I'm at about 155 as u don't have the intake
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

What map are you running on the blue?

lamcote

Don't forget that it is mapped for 98 octane too, I think that could be making somewhere around 5 bhp (my guess) extra on its own, as it will allow a lot more ignition advance than you can get away with on 95 RON.

My guess is 137 standard bhp + 5 for exhaust + 3 for intake + 8 with eManage map (+5 more for 98 RON map) = 158 bhp
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

CrazySX

Sure, that makes sense. Worth it for a a 20bhp gain for which most of those things are already done on my car. But then again I have 2zz injectors and a maf riser. Will try that first as I don't have a cable for the ecu at the moment.

shnazzle

Couple weeks in now and a few hard blasts (still got 240 miles out of a tank!), I can conclude that the eManage Blue, TTE exhaust and de-pre-cat is a winning combination for an almost VTEC-like kick at 4000 rpm.
Really enjoy it. The car is now much better in its sweet spot of 4k to 6k rpm, and much better on the motorways. So, fun and practicality improved. And, I'm tempted to say the economy has improved as well. I've been spending a lot of time > 4000rpm and I still got 240 miles out of the tank, which is what I got before by driving not quite as hard. Time will tell.

Need to get a panel filter in there to sweeten the flow up a bit without the added noise of an open intake

I'll take a video of the rev gauge if I can strap my dashcam or phone somewhere sensible.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

eManage Blue cable made. Cost 2.50.
..bet it doesn't work...
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Been a while now and I've added a markiii pipe to the arsenal of mods now. Note to self...pay theredone for markiii pipe...

So here's a totally unexpected twist...the markiii pipe totally smoothed out the power delivery! Who knew a silly metal pipe could do that. I'm still a bit astonished by this.
I had the stock pipe connected, and the power delivery was a bit bumpy. Hence my note here that it needed tweaking to match my car, and all the talk of connecting it to laptop etc (still doesn't work btw).
Then I disconnected the pipe completely, which improved things a lot. Particularly in the high ends over 3k or so. Totally smooth power delivery, but still a bit lumpy bumpy driving around town.
Now the markiii pipe is in, smooth as a baby's bum all the way through.
Mind it's only lumpy bumpy witout the pipe if I just reset the ECU. Once the long-term fuel trims catch up with the eManage, it smooths out. But it also means I get less pull low down, so then I reset the ECU again  s:) :) s:)

So...anybody doubting the merit of the markiii pipe...be advised, it DOES help! It may not be as noticeable on the stock ECU, but clearly it does have a positive influence on the airflow.

I finally got to see what the eManage brings while on the new years drive out organised by Tricky1138. I had to hold back quite a few times to not drive into the person in front of me, so there's definitely a good number of horses gained over stock.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

So, quite an unexpected turn of events.
Saw an ad on eBay after a tip from a friendly acquaintance, and after some follow-up calls and a visit, my lovely other half made an impulse purchase; a Y-reg Celica VVTLi with 154k miles from a very friendly chap who just wanted it off the drive.
It's blue, has the desired spoiler, and the seats are in very good nick. And most importantly...the engine... And all that for 300 quid. Would be silly to say no. Although it does need a new fuel pump.
Mentioned it to Helen, who promptly forked over cash so she could have a toy to play around with, with potentially a swap in the future.

2zz conversion is not something I considered anymore after some reviews on here but the this offer and threads like Jawor's absolutely epic 2zz swap made me re-consider (potentially!).

Now you're probably thinking, good luck with that...154k...better off sticking with your 1zz  s:) :) s:)
And you'd be right... if it weren't for this:

Not bad for 300 quid I'd say  s:) :) s:)  
Helen wants to fix it up as her "tinkering" car and we'll drive around it in for a while. Hell, it can even take 2 kids in the back! After a while, it might find its way into the back of an MR2.
...neutiquam erro.

Paul1087

cant go wrong for £300!  s:) :) s:)

shnazzle

Quote from: "Paul1087"cant go wrong for £300!  s:) :) s:)

Well that's what I thought. Has a valid MOT so once the fuel issue is sorted it'll be grand as a runabout. Then Helen can crack on learning how to change the brakes (fronts need doing), changing a rear ARB, and we'll get some experience on a tiny bit of bodywork restoration. Has some small bubbles on the offside rear wing that need sanding, smoothing and painting.
...neutiquam erro.

Jrichards20

£300! Not bad at all! When was all of that done and how many miles ago? Definitely needs to go in the back of the mr2!
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

shnazzle

So the Celica will arrive soon and having obtained some insurance quotes etc and thinking of the parking situation we'd cause at home, it's seeming like the engine is best placed in the MR2.
Having said that...I'd still quite like to run it in the Celica for a while. Even if just to get a feel for the engine and make sure it's all sweet.

I had discounted the 2zz upgrade a while back, as it is only fun in super high revs which isn't always how you're driving the car. Although it does have a bigger bore so it may have some more low/midrange torque day to day.
The thing is..there's absolutely nothing wrong with my 1zz. It's barely broken in at  just 63k miles. Seems silly to rip it out really. I'm quite attached to that little block, oddly.
Also little things like having to faf about with keys to match the car to the new 2zz ecu and stuff... And what do I do with my eManage Blue? It'd be no good to me without a remap, that's another 350-400 quid.
Granted I can sell it, it's got a great map on it.

So having a bit of an issue stepping out of the comfort zone. If anybody at Ding Day has a 2zz I'd love to have a go and take it from there.

I've put together my own little how-to for 2zz conversion. Going to go through it with headcase (Patrick) as I do have some questions. That'll help decide.

I reckon there's still quite some costs to it, even though I will do it all myself.

- Service kit
- cone filter or better intake of sorts
- new clutch/flywheel (seems stupid not to)
- Custom exhaust (although if the TTE can be kept via some  custom mid-section pipes, that'd be amazing)
- Get stock exhaust manifold customised to clear subframe
- Gaskets/Seals
- bits and bobs used during conversion

I'm still looking at at least 1000 pounds there. And that's with already having the block and transmission
...neutiquam erro.

cptspaulding

Seeing as we're both running practically the same moods on the 1zz,  may I please shout dibs on your emanage blue if & when you get round to doing your swap?
Sounds like you got a Billy Bargain on that 2zz. GL with the plans.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

shnazzle

Quote from: "cptspaulding"Seeing as we're both running practically the same moods on the 1zz,  may I please shout dibs on your emanage blue if & when you get round to doing your swap?
Sounds like you got a Billy Bargain on that 2zz. GL with the plans.
It is indeed a bargain, but a conversion still costs a fair penny just for the exhaust changes.

If the emanage goes, I'll keep you in mind.
...neutiquam erro.

cptspaulding

Oh,  c'mon man.  You've had that 2zz for almost a day. I thought Helen would have "popped it in the 2" by now.

shnazzle

Actually it's not even here yet! Helen is eager to get stuck into the Celica  s:) :) s:)  Hope she doesn't get attached haha
...neutiquam erro.

cptspaulding

Quote from: "shnazzle"Actually it's not even here yet! Helen is eager to get stuck into the Celica  s:) :) s:)  Hope she doesn't get attached haha
I'm in no hurry Patrick.  Been paying out deposits on highland drive,  limits day,  daughter's scout adventure + gearbox oil change on the Merc so far this month.
I  would be interested should it become surplus.
It occurs to me...  doesn't your 2 have the 1zz with the updated pistons?  You'd be better finding another 2 with a busted engine & doing your 2zz swap on that.

shnazzle

I know. Hence I mentioned that I'm not keen on getting my 1zz out. It's pretty much perfect. But I certainly can't afford to buy even anothrr broken 2 at the minute. But, it has been mentioned as an option; drive the Celica for while while saving up for a breaker with engine issues
...neutiquam erro.

Alex Knight

Quote from: "shnazzle"Also little things like having to faf about with keys to match the car to the new 2zz ecu and stuff

Piece of cake, took me less than 5 mins to code the spare and primary keys

Quote from: "shnazzle"If anybody at Ding Day has a 2zz I'd love to have a go and take it from there

Sure, feel free to have a buzz in mine (insurance permitting), I'll be there

Quote from: "shnazzle"I've put together my own little how-to for 2zz conversion.
- Service kit - Obviously - make sure you change the accessory drive belt with the engine out
- cone filter or better intake of sorts - Any old filter attached to a silicone joiner will do
- new clutch/flywheel (seems stupid not to) - makes sense, would be nice to get a lightweight flywheel, frees up the engine even more
- Custom exhaust (although if the TTE can be kept via some  custom mid-section pipes, that'd be amazing) - you can keep ALL of your TTE exhaust
- Get stock exhaust manifold customised to clear subframe - easy chop and re-weld
- Gaskets/Seals - would recommend replacing the coil pack seals and changing the lift bolts as a minimum
- bits and bobs used during conversion - surprisingly few, as so many parts are interchangeable!

Quote from: "shnazzle"I'm still looking at at least 1000 pounds there. And that's with already having the block and transmission

No way is it even close to that...

shnazzle

Interested In the exhaust side. I was figuring at least 400 to 450 just for the custom exhaust and manifold changes.
Then another 400 for new clutch and lightweight flywheel. The latter being optional of course. This one's only done 34k.
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

Wow, sounds like a plan is coming together! I'm going to go and do some reading on 2zz conversions and dream... One day.. Maybe... Jealous!!

shnazzle

Quote from: "jvanzyl"Wow, sounds like a plan is coming together! I'm going to go and do some reading on 2zz conversions and dream... One day.. Maybe... Jealous!!

Who knows you may be lucky and find a 300 quid one as well  s:D :D s:D  hehe.
I go on as if it's a brand new engine, but it has done 34k hard miles since rebuild. so the "new" clutch would probably benefit from being changed and the engine is definitely "worn in" by now so definitely needs a good service. So all in all the engine+gearbox may still end up costing over 600 quid or so.
...neutiquam erro.

ColleyV8

Quote from: "shnazzle"Interested In the exhaust side. I was figuring at least 400 to 450 just for the custom exhaust and manifold changes.
Then another 400 for new clutch and lightweight flywheel. The latter being optional of course. This one's only done 34k.

I'm not going to bother with the lightweight flywheel, can see them being of use in a V6 with the torque, but on a revvy 4 pot, it will make set offs a nightmare with no mass to follow through, unless someone can point me differently
2ZZ powered Black MR2

shnazzle

Sooo Chris Knott won't insure 2zz in my mr2. So that's good......really pleased with that.
And who knew Celicas were so damn expensive to insure???
...neutiquam erro.

StuC

Won't insure because?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tags: