My New Keys & How I coded them to my car.

Started by acmtix, September 7, 2015, 22:44

acmtix

Hi All,

I purchased a 2005 Toyota MR2 Roadster a couple of months ago and i've been looking for a spare key for ages as the picture below shows what happened to my genuine Toyota key.
I got a little paranoid that it might happen again with the replacement key I built so I set out to replace my key and get hold of a spare key.

I took the Tokai Rika CE0122 transponder out of my old broken key and put it inside a new uncut Toy41 key casing that I bought off E-Bay. I had the replacement key cut at my local key cutting shop and then coated it in a warm silicone casing from Australia.

I didn't need to code this transponder key to my car because it was the original transponder. I noticed that this key was able to lock the glove box and unable to unlock it. I'll mention this again later.

I decided I wanted a spare key as well as the grey valet key that already came with the car.

So I scoured E-Bay for another Key that would fit my MR2 and found TOY43 flip fobs for £4.19. I bought one. I took it to the key cutter and he said, nope this is a different key and wouldn't fit my car.

So I went back to a standard uncut TOY41 key and bought one off E-Bay for £2.59.

I then looked for a second hand transponder to fit in my new key

I bought a (black backed) VALEO 736716-A for £14.99 inside a second hand TOY47 key and realised this was the wrong transponder after then reading several good threads on here.

I searched again on E-Bay and found myself the correct transponder which was a (clear backed) TOKAI RIKA CE0122 for £18.95

So the transponders are quite different and only the TOKAI RIKA works with my 2005 Toyota MR2 Roadster.

It cost me £14.99 to have the key cut to shape. The new key was able to unlock my glove compartment too. The only difference was a slight curve on the top of the key that my previous key did not have so make sure the key cutter gets the curve right on the tip of the key or else the key seems to only function as a valet key.

Here is my completed key.

Now I had to use my old key to encode my new transponder key.

I used the guide I found on here... Here it is again.

1. Begin with the old key out of the ignition.

2. The DRIVER'S side door should be OPEN and unlocked. CLOSE all other doors including bonnets.

3. Within 5 seconds INSERT the old key into the ignition and PULL it out TWICE.

4. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side door TWICE.

5. Insert old key INTO the ignition then REMOVE it.

6. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side door TWICE.

7. Insert the old key INTO the ignition and LEAVE it in the ignition.

8. CLOSE the DRIVER's side door.

9. Switch the ignition to ON then OFF.

10. REMOVE the old key from ignition.

11. The door locks will now cycle to confirm the vehicle has successfully entered programming mode.

12. PUSH and HOLD the LOCK and UNLOCK button for 1.5 seconds on the new key remote being programmed. As soon as you let go PUSH the LOCK button and HOLD it for 2 seconds.

13. The door locks will cycle to confirm successful programming of the new key transponder. If you have any additional transponders to program repeat step 12 if you have no additional transponders proceed to step 14.

14. OPEN the DRIVER'S side door. Programming the transponder is now complete.

There are guides on here for the immobiliser too, but mine didn't seem to need it doing...

Thats All Folks!
Thanks

@Acmtix
http]

jonty

cheers for the guide, I need to do this with my keys and have been lazy with searching... I have one key for the locking and one for the immob; hopefully I will soon have both keys working and a slightly smaller key bunch!

acmtix

I imagine because of the way the keys are built a lot of Toyota owners require spare keys quite regularly. Just make sure you get the correct transponder and the right model of key and you are half way there. Someone needs to import the silicone key covers too, that would prevent some of the damage to the keys, it seems to be the twisting motion in the ignition that finds a weak point in the key and tears the key apart after a few years of hardening and brittle plastic key casing.

I found that programming the transponder took three attempts. So if you fail, have another go and don't give up!

If anyone would like the VALEO 736716-A and the blank flip key TOY43, then just PM me and cover the postage and i'll send it as its no good to me.
Thanks

@Acmtix
http]

Tags: