In Phase Usw10 Underdash mounting...

Started by vx220, September 10, 2015, 14:14

vx220

Quote from: "shnazzle"
Quote from: "vx220"Corrected "search" for Sparco!

Got to work and been told I'm needed tomorrow as well, so next week now

Employment is such a drag. Until you realise they pay for your car.

I have been trying to explain it to the kids I work with.

You need a job to pay for the things you can't do because you're always at work!

Tbh it's not my main job, just covering

vx220

Went for the TS WX 110a Pioneer active sub, but it was OOS when I ordered. They sorted me the TS WX 120 for the same price (which arrived today, sturdy little thing) so when people's stop being sick at work, off I go!

Keep sitting in class, looking out at the sunny weather, thinking...

"I could be out there with my heat gun and deadening!"

shnazzle

Nice looking little piece of equipment. How much did it set you back if I may ask?

If I ever had spare time I want to rethink the subwoofer and location. I think a lot more woofer can be fit in the give space and tucked away a bit tidier.
The question is...can I be bothered...
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Quote from: "shnazzle"Nice looking little piece of equipment. How much did it set you back if I may ask?

If I ever had spare time I want to rethink the subwoofer and location. I think a lot more woofer can be fit in the give space and tucked away a bit tidier.
The question is...can I be bothered...

I ordered the wx110 from caraudiocentre for £99.99, but as it was OOS they sent the 120 for no extra (normally seen at £130-170)

They were out of the small Pioneer amp as well, but had no direct alternative, so I'm undecided on that atm

shnazzle

Nice! less than I paid for the  USW
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Quote from: "shnazzle"Nice! less than I paid for the  USW

I thought so, nice gesture as well, although the two items I ordered that were out of stock are still showing on their website five days later!

Just been asked to do two more days work again! Shall I update over the Christmas hols!?

I need to do it, partly because I love that part of my job (I'm a foster carer, and I help out TAing in our agencies school) and because it's all monies for further projects!

vx220

Progress made today!

They didn't need me after all at school, so I have sound deadened one door (!) a really good coating on the outer skin (doubled up in places) and just about complete coverage of the inner skin, blocking all the holes. Also used some CCF to stop wires vibrating, and I'm going to use some more of this between the inner skin and door card upon reassembly.

Gutted the OEM speaker to use spacer, just need some Tiger Seal to stick the woofer in and then I'll put it all back!

shnazzle

Nice. Pics pics pics!
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

...neighbours now concerned for my wife, I made her walk round the car knocking on the doors so she could hear the difference my efforts have made!

Hoping she doesn't want hers done, goosed my back at some point today...

shnazzle

Haha! Did she do the usual ".. That's nice honey... And walk away wondering what she's doing with you?"
...neutiquam erro.

saicab

Love to see the end results mate

vx220

Quote from: "saicab"Love to see the end results mate

So would I, no garage to work in and it's raining just hard enough to make it miserable

Hopefully (weather and work permitting...) Thursday should see some good progress

vx220

Quote from: "vx220"
Quote from: "saicab"Love to see the end results mate

So would I, no garage to work in and it's raining just hard enough to make it miserable

Hopefully (weather and work permitting...) Thursday should see some good progress

Had a half day on it, second door deadened. But I have to do a half day at work, which given it's a beautiful day is slightly upsetting!

I have a half day again tomorrow, so hoping to get components mounted and wired...

vx220

I can't believe it has taken three weeks to sort the doors and amp, but the door cards went back on for the final time today!

So, Pioneer TS-A1604a components in the (well-deadened) doors, Pioneer GMA3602 amp in the passenger side cubby and some CCF between doors and doorways to stop vibrations, all done, dusted and finished...

Sounds pretty good, but then I have been without any sounds in the car for three weeks, so anything is an improvement on silence!

Sisters of Mercy were good this afternoon, as was Florence and The Machine, and WINGER!

Still have the subwoofer to fit under the dash (which ironically was supposed to be the only upgrade!) but I have Weds/Thurs/Friday to sort that and set it up and get it EQ'd.

vx220

Rained most of yesterday, but I got out there today and made four brackets to hold the sub under the dash, so it is supported front and rear and prevented from moving sideways under cornering! Wiring all sorted, EXCEPT I have inadvertently purchased RCA leads that have long plugs, so the ones for the subwoofer outlet hit the dash before the stereo is all the way back in. So I'm tidying up now, finish it tomorrow...

...I have to finish it tomorrow, as we have a new fostering placement arriving Saturday, I don't want him to be listening to me swearing every three minutes!

shnazzle

Quote from: "vx220"Rained most of yesterday, but I got out there today and made four brackets to hold the sub under the dash, so it is supported front and rear and prevented from moving sideways under cornering! Wiring all sorted, EXCEPT I have inadvertently purchased RCA leads that have long plugs, so the ones for the subwoofer outlet hit the dash before the stereo is all the way back in. So I'm tidying up now, finish it tomorrow...

...I have to finish it tomorrow, as we have a new fostering placement arriving Saturday, I don't want him to be listening to me swearing every three minutes!

fostering placement? GOOD MAN!

Can I see your brackets and where you plan to mount them? As I mentioned, I want to re-do mine to raise it a bit. Although it's been a year now and I don't even notice...could argue, if it ain't broke...
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Struggled to get pics with phone, so I will attempt to describe what I've done...

I relocated the red module thing by the throttle pedal and used those two threaded holes to support the rear corner (it's rectangular, and only has brackets on opposite corners) then used one of the captive studs on the bar that runs behind the dash to hang another bracket to support the front, and another bracket runs sideways to the bolt that holds up the knee panel (closest to the stereo) this bolts in to a metal part of the dash, so I will put a nut on after closing up the knee panel. This one stops the sub swaying side to side.

So, two at the rear, one hanging bracket at the front and one horizontal bracket at the front. I used "builders banding", radius'd all the bends and hoped for the best!

shnazzle

Ah. Good call on the builder's banding. Although isn't it tricky to get it tight so it doesn't sag? Or is it pretty solid? Just thinking of big bumps and the stress it will put on the bolts.
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Pretty solid stuff, and when the front is under tension the back isn't, and vice versa

I'm hopeful (but no engineer...)

Actually, my dear old dad was an engineer, but fairly sure he wouldn't get under there now to check it out!

vx220

Ok, all fitted and finished

Sounds really good, been out for an hour and a half,  playing with HPF/LPF and EQ. My head unit has a seven band EQ,  I dropped a couple of DBs through the upper midrange. Components are HPF'd at 60hz from the head unit, subs crossover and level approx half way on both.

Been lowering the woofer level on acoustic stuff, but hardly change it on rockier stuff.

All for less than £300 (I already had the headunit) including deadening. Still not 100% about tweeters. Either they are a bit harsh (for soft domes) or they shouldn't be firing down the tubes in the door panels. I have downloaded an RTA app, will have a check to see if there's any standout frequencies...

Now, to eat, tidy up and then back out for more listening!

vx220

Busy week (with my new passenger...) so took a couple of hours yesterday to have a top down blast about. Sub works well, top down at 70(ish) almost as well as it does at 30! Really chuffed with whole system!

Still tweaking, but only tiny bits now...

mickeyfish

I still have stock hu in mine been looking at upgrading system inc sub. hopefully santa will bring me something.  if I continue playing ozrics any longer,my doors will drop off,,,,,,something needs to change methinks.

vx220

Optics, as in Tentacles?

Yesterday was a bit of Joe Satriani, Sisters of Mercy, Sade and Thunder.

I'm going to dig out my Sigue Sigue Sputnik album tomorrow!

mickeyfish

was playing some joe satriani, and steve vai, yesterday. thought the door speakers were gonna jump out and run away screaming,, ha ha.

vx220

Bit of "Man'o'war" today...

Placement is back to his work ex today (after some attempt at blagging me, saying it was tomorrow!) so having a couple of hours drive about...

...in the fog

Tags: