My Silver 2003 Turbo MR2 - Sprint & Hillclimb Car

Started by Swan_Connery, September 12, 2015, 20:30

Jrichards20

Does that mean that the soft top has to stay, even if a hardtop is fitted?

If so, having a hardtop seems a waste as its just extra weight.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

MrStev3

It's confusing sometimes

For example

For street class I still needed a cage but the interior must stay in but I would have to rip it out for the cage to fit so I went pro instead as the car was already stripped.

Best thing to do is meet with someone who competes and organises so they can tell you what's best.

The guy who runs the local sprints here lives down the road so I can go see him with ease for next year.

Wierd thing is that the first round of the Welsh speint and hill climb is at rockingham lmao and the rest are back in Wales
Mitsuko the mr2
federal rsr, lenso spec c wheels, ebc turbo grooved discs, ebc yellow stuff pads, tein springs, omp trs seat, Trs harness, rogue seat frames, k&n filter, stripped out interior, toyo sports manifold, Hardtop, rouge hardtop fitting kit, ultra racing front strut brace, Ultra racing lower rear brace, matts brace , kyb shocks, cobra quad exhaust,P&p cage

Swan_Connery

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Does that mean that the soft top has to stay, even if a hardtop is fitted?

If so, having a hardtop seems a waste as its just extra weight.

No, I don't think so. We have an A9 class up here in Scotland that is just for mk1 and 2 mx5s and they all take the soft top out and stick a hardtop on it.

MrStev3

Soft top weighs a lot too I was shocked how heavy it was when I took it off.
Sneak into the mx5 class with some badges and abuse them
Mitsuko the mr2
federal rsr, lenso spec c wheels, ebc turbo grooved discs, ebc yellow stuff pads, tein springs, omp trs seat, Trs harness, rogue seat frames, k&n filter, stripped out interior, toyo sports manifold, Hardtop, rouge hardtop fitting kit, ultra racing front strut brace, Ultra racing lower rear brace, matts brace , kyb shocks, cobra quad exhaust,P&p cage

Swan_Connery

Front strut brace added and some weight lost.

CrazySX

It's good to see under your plastics that ur car has corroded in all the same places as mine. I got a bit depressed looking at mine but feel better now  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

They all do it  s:( :( s:(

Swan_Connery

Yeh, am tempted to repaint all the black another colour over the winter but I'm in a bit of a rush to get the car ready for the 4th.

Quickshift finally fitted after I managed to lose a split pin. Need a new gearknob though. My one from my old mx-5 doesn't fit and the insert is fixed in somehow.

CrazySX

Have u tried it yet? Is it smooth?

Swan_Connery

Not driving on the road yet as I'm still seatless, but it does feel a lot more direct and shorter.

Swan_Connery

Fitted the standard driver seats back in and took it to my friendly garage today and fitted some yellow stuff pads all round.

With the addition of the quickshift, which has made a big difference, the car feels so much better. Gonna try and get the tracking done during the week along with seat mounts in preparation for a week tomorrow. Can't wait!

Swan_Connery

Mid week update!

I've taken the day off work tomorrow to go and pick up a set of wheels and get them to the painters in time for the weekend. My race rubber has also been ordered and should arrive before Friday with any luck.

Still got lots to do before the Sprint race on Sunday. Speaking of which the numbers and details of who is in each class got released and I'm in good company. I've got 2 Mk2 Tubbys and a Noble M12 in my class! Should be fun!   s:D :D s:D

jonty

Sounds good, I hope the rest of your prep goes smoothly!

Anonymous

Which tyres are you using? Let us know how you go!

Swan_Connery

Going for MaxSport RB5s. Can only get 205 and 195 widths in 16s so going to try that at the weekend and see how I get on.

MG/Rover 4x100 16inch alloys will fit fine yeh?

Swan_Connery

Seat fitted. Will put up pics tomorrow. Meanwhile I've been reworking the CHS Racing logo with a new design for the Mr2  s:D :D s:D  Can anyone guess what logo it used to be?

Swan_Connery

Wheels painted, tyres fitted!

CrazySX

I've thought about getting some of those. But was worried about weight. How much do they weigh per corner?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Swan_Connery"Wheels painted, tyres fitted!

Nice looking tyres interested to see how you find them. Are they road legal?

Jrichards20

If they are RB4 f3s then yeah road legal. They are remoulds so would be interesting to know how well they perform.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Swan_Connery

Quote from: "CrazySX"I've thought about getting some of those. But was worried about weight. How much do they weigh per corner?

Will find out tomorrow.

Swan_Connery

Quote from: "Jrichards20"If they are RB4 f3s then yeah road legal. They are remoulds so would be interesting to know how well they perform.

Yeh, they are. Had them on my previous Mx-5 and they are excellent for the dry. Horrific in the wet, and tbh I wouldn't/couldn't use them as a road tyre due to the horrific road noise.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Swan_Connery"
Quote from: "Jrichards20"If they are RB4 f3s then yeah road legal. They are remoulds so would be interesting to know how well they perform.

Yeh, they are. Had them on my previous Mx-5 and they are excellent for the dry. Horrific in the wet, and tbh I wouldn't/couldn't use them as a road tyre due to the horrific road noise.

Did you try any others on the mx5 to compare?

How do they compare in cost in comparison to an r888?

Swan_Connery

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"
Quote from: "Swan_Connery"

Did you try any others on the mx5 to compare?

How do they compare in cost in comparison to an r888?

Only tried 888s, Nankangs and toyo proxies with the 5, and maxsport was definitely the best in the dry. Toyos were the worst.

Swan_Connery

Bit gutted today. Lost out to a mark2 mr2 turbo by 2 hundredths of a second! I did a 97.19 and he did a 97.17. So at least I beat my target of sub 100 seconds but was really struggling in practice with my brakes. Coming up to any corner and the left side brakes were locking solid and sending me off to the right. It was as if the abs was kicking into early and not releasing. Anyway, I took the fuse out the abs and ran like that for the rest of the day and it was much better.

When I was on boost I was quick, but in the hairpin and slower corners I was really slow. I was literally nailing the throttle at the corner entry so the power was there for corner exit. I think some smaller pipework to the intercooler may be in order to reduce the lag!

The only other issue I had was with the gears. I was only using 2nd and 3rd but was really struggling to get down to 2nd to 3rd even with a bit a heel toeing. Is this expected, or am I just used to flatshifting with the single seater?

Tags: