My Silver 2005 Wrecked MR2

Started by fastel888, September 16, 2015, 21:13

fastel888

s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  As I previously stated, I was not designed to work on cars. Never let it be said though that I won't give it a try. After two days of pouring gallons of sweat, grazed knuckles, and enough expletives to offend Frankie Boyle, I got the rear bumper off.

I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew!
Would welcome updated opinions based on latest pictures.
:flame: Uninsured drivers should face a firing squad!!! http://mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=56346

Anonymous

Wow what cat is it? I would measure the diagonal on the chassis before doing to much as they bend fairly easy

Anonymous

Looks like the rear chassis leg is bent. If so, it's more work than an amateur could handle

CrazySX

More stripping required I'm afraid. Drill out the spot welds on the lower bumper support bar and get it out of the way. Then the heatshield.  Need to see the chassis legs properly

Anonymous

The bumper support is just bolt on, not welded?

tomaky

Correct Mark
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

jonty

I repaired mine from similar (but not so bad) damage. You will need to get a section of the rear chassis leg off a non- punted car, and then this can be grafted on as there is a joint in the leg about 250mm in from the end. All of the headlight dangly bits and slam panel are very thin and easy to manipulate, though finding the original shape again will require some good panel beating skills...

Mine had a bent lower arm and the tracking was all over the place. I think you will need to check for damage further in (it may look straight and then you find stuff further in that is bent) and do some basic tape measurements to be sure the chassis isn't banana'd as RBuckingham advised, before you get too far into the strip and repair.

What's the score with insurance? did you spin and back it into something, or was someone else at fault?

Anonymous

Someone rear ended him and it was written off so purchased it back from insurance co

jonty

Ah OK, fair enough! I would be considering getting an independent garage (for cost) to repair the chassis leg stuff at the very least, possible doing all of the structural repair and bumper refit...

fastel888

This task has now exceeded my capabilities and desires. The brain ticks over as if I was 18 years old, but the body strongly objects to lifting heavy things and crawling around awkward places. So sadly I admit defeat, and have started stripping the silver to get the black one up to scratch. So far have put the wheels, seats and "froot" on. Eventually anything of use will be removed (ie engine) and the carcass scrapped. A very sad day for me not to mention being just over two grand out of pocket. I really appreciate the help from you guys but you can't make a mechanic out of a retired civil servant. Now......onward to tarting up the black SMT beast!
:flame: Uninsured drivers should face a firing squad!!! http://mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=56346

tomaky

Right decisiion for me that is way beyond repair, too much chassis damage.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Anonymous

You are doing the correct thing, for sure. Think of all the spares you will have. "Free" as in no more cost, motoring for the next few years.

fastel888

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Rather than spending my time fixing up the black one (more problems appearing daily) I decided to get myself a decent specimen. Now I can spend my retirement enjoying driving an MR2, which was my original intention. And here it is:

As you may guess, I'm happy again.

CrazySX

Wow! That looks lovely! So now u have 3?

Anonymous

The blue one is really nice!!

You've got a collection coming on now, quite the enthusiast!  s:D :D s:D

s12vea

The blue one looks a peach! Now enjoy it  s:) :) s:)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Jrichards20

You've had a new MR2 every month  s:) :) s:)  Blue one looks lovely.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

fastel888

s:D :D s:D  Yes, now I have 3. Is that enough to call it a "fleet" ?
The blue one is indeed in lovely condition, 101,000 on the clock, service history, after-market radio/cd with usb input and 6 month warranty.
The previous 2 owners looked after it well.

Best of all is that my happiness has been restored to how it was when I bought the silver one.

tomaky

1 just isnt enough, 2 is nearly there but 3 is the sweet spot  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Jrichards20

And keep the silvers ones engine just incase  s;) ;) s;)  

We all just want you to go out and enjoy the car now!
Street Triple 765 RS

SuperArt

Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

fastel888

Almost done!

Also got my number plate transferred from the wreck.

TTE exhaust is nearly ready to go on.

So now it's all down to removing engine and gearbox, then the rest can go to the scrapyard.

CrazySX

You should consider taking of the shocks and springs. Also get the steering UK off and keep it all for a rainy day. Or sell it on  s;) ;) s;)

Jrichards20

You've come really far! Well done!

Before you send to scrap yard, any chance of taking the power steering pump and pipes and abs pump as these are needed quite a lot, even if you sell to someone interested, like me  s:) :) s:)
Street Triple 765 RS

fastel888

Good thinking. I know what the shocks and steering gear look like but when it comes to the other bits like abs pump I could do with a picture
of what they look like as I have no idea when it comes to the many parts that make a car. I have been driving for nearly 50 years and never got
to grips with the mechanical aspects of cars. I'm ok with basics like oil change, brake pads and other easy things, but that's where it ends. I'm
dreading the engine and gearbox removal and have no idea where to start, but it must be done as I want my garage back and the wreck has
occupied it for too long. If anyone wants any other bits then they are there for the taking, I gave most bits to another member, but if I don't keep
the engine then it will have been a bit pointless buying it back from the insurers. So if anyone fancies a day in sunny Margate they can have
whatever is left as long as I get pointed in the direction of getting the engine out. I've tried to do various tasks just from forum advice but if I
don't know what the various parts look like, it might as well be written in Chinese. I did manage to locate and silence the reverse beep, which
I'm really proud of.

Maybe someone could point out where the pumps etc are on the above, I would be grateful.

Tags: