Car covers

Started by wilko59, September 23, 2015, 17:20

wilko59

Can anybody recommend a good car cover?  I only use my 2 as a second car so it won't be used over the winter, I was hoping there would be something with a kind of ground sheet that you could drive on to then clip to the main cover sheet to stop the moisture from underneath. Don't know of anything like this exists or if if just come up with a good idea for a patent.
Red Edition -  Widermuller\'s bling, short shifter, ultimate gear linkages and billet cage mounts.  Garage59 manifold, Proflow quad exhaust and sports cat.  Kenwood/Garmin DNX.
Previous - PFL Blue H/Top & MRs Black 2zz

Mikeymead

I've got a stormforce fitted cover that I'm pleased with, but it doesn't  have a ground sheet. The only thing that I can think of that is similar to what you discribe is a carcoon.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

wilko59

That's the kind of thing I'm thinking off, think some idiot would try popping it on the driveway though and they look expensive. I'll probably just get a normal cover and tie a ground sheet underneath. I don't think the undersides of our cars fair well with the weather and salt unfortunately.
Red Edition -  Widermuller\'s bling, short shifter, ultimate gear linkages and billet cage mounts.  Garage59 manifold, Proflow quad exhaust and sports cat.  Kenwood/Garmin DNX.

Jrichards20

Don't buy halfauds. Useless piece of crap car cover I bought from them.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

justinread72

I am a upholsterer and I will be making my own soon will, post pics and price up if I can might sell them time permitting. Any design ideas let me know and what fabric would you like ect

twitchers

Definitely want the bottom sheet as well, my bikes used to get horrible rust appearing from high humidity then condensation forming for the extended periods undercover.

Anonymous

I bought a cover kings fully tailored car cover, for the mr2.

I'm really pleased with the fit and quality

wilko59

Quote from: "justinread72"I am a upholsterer and I will be making my own soon will, post pics and price up if I can might sell them time permitting. Any design ideas let me know and what fabric would you like ect

Would definitely be interested Justin, apart from the bubble ones referred to earlier I can't find anything.  As mine will be outside I'd really like something that stops the damp from the ground.  I was thinking of something like the cover kings but with a ground sheet held to the inside of it with toggles.  Drive onto the sheet, throw the cover over and after it together.

HFB

Quote from: "wilko59"
Quote from: "justinread72"I am a upholsterer and I will be making my own soon will, post pics and price up if I can might sell them time permitting. Any design ideas let me know and what fabric would you like ect

Would definitely be interested Justin, apart from the bubble ones referred to earlier I can't find anything.  As mine will be outside I'd really like something that stops the damp from the ground.  I was thinking of something like the cover kings but with a ground sheet held to the inside of it with toggles.  Drive onto the sheet, throw the cover over and after it together.

Wouldn't a sealed system still be liable to condensation?

Would a cheapish gazebo type construction, with sides etc and then maybe have the car slightly raised on wooden planks/ramps avoid any 'splash' from heavy rainfall etc and be as close to garaging your 2 as anything (aside a shed obviously)?

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

Tags: