How much do you rev?

Started by acmtix, October 12, 2015, 15:55

acmtix

Okay,

This might sound like a silly question, but how much do you rev your MR2's engine?

I was in a Civic Type-R over the weekend and the driver was revving the pants off it.
Should I rev my engine a bit more or stick with my usual driving style and keep the revs low and change gear early?

Whats best for a Toyota engine?
Thanks

@Acmtix
http]

Jrichards20

Surely that's all about what you are after....

This post will not be without the usual stereotype. So I will start it off, Civic Type R, likely hood to be a "boy racer" type driver  s:) :) s:)  revving the nuts off the car for no reason.

If you want to accelerate faster, push the loud pedal down until near the limiter. May cause premature engine wear over a number of continued uses (many many many times)
If you want to drive economical, without accelerating too fast and just driving like a normal person would on their way to work. Shift early.

Toyota engine is a "revvy engine" where the power is all at the top end of the power bang. But if you do not need to drive quickly or don't want to, shift early. It will not hurt your engine and will most likely keep it in a much better condition.

Do I rev it, yes, but I'm a yob that likes accelerating quickly. When the misses is in the car, the car stays quite and majority of the time I will skip gears when changing up to keep the revs even lower.

Stick to your current low revs if that's how you enjoy driving. It most certainly wont cause damage to your engine. Cant remember where I read it, or even if its true, but it went something along the lines of "Its not power that kills engines, its revs"
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Ardent

Rarely need to go above 4500.
when i do it's more for the sound than anything.

what are you revving to now?

edit for spelling. I hate tappy tablet keyboards.

sadhvikv

I don't rev it too hard, occasionally if I need to get my speed up quickly when I'm joining a dual carriageway. Get most of my pleasure from shifting up smoothly/quickly and nailing downshifts   s:D :D s:D
[size=85]\'04 MR2 - Sable Red - TTE Exhaust - TTE Style Bar - Yoko AD08r - NathanMR2 Gear Bushings - Markiii Pipe - Matt\'s Brace - Tein Lowering Springs - KYB Shocks[/size]

Anonymous

When I get the urge I take it right up to the limiter, not past it and not when it's cold, the rest of the time it's basically Miss Daisy style.

Alex Knight

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Civic Type R, likely hood to be a "boy racer" type driver  s:) :) s:)  revving the nuts off the car for no reason.

It's called VTEC, high cam usually comes in at 6,000RPM. There is an *actual* reason.
2ZZ engines are quite similar.

[youtube:1k8ow5zp]PEGRC6nCkrU[/youtube:1k8ow5zp]

CrazySX

To the moon and back! The MR2 loves it! The OCV blocks up if you don't drive it properly  s;) ;) s;)

acmtix

Okay i'm going to start revving mine a little more when its warm  s;) ;) s;)  give it some welly.
Thanks

@Acmtix
http]

Lee H

Quote from: "Alex Knight"
Quote from: "Jrichards20"Civic Type R, likely hood to be a "boy racer" type driver  s:) :) s:)  revving the nuts off the car for no reason.

It's called VTEC, high cam usually comes in at 6,000RPM. There is an *actual* reason.
2ZZ engines are quite similar.

This.

If it was an EP3 VTEC is at 6200rpm so you have to take it out to 8000+rpm to make sure you are in VTEC in the next gear when you change, it's the right way to drive them quick.

Also our EP3 is on 140k and gets driven hard with no issues, it's how they were designed to be driven. Ours was even running a 8700rpm limiter for 40k miles when it had mods on. Great engines.
2000 black Roadster - hardtop, 16" Rota Grids with T1R\'s, TTE springs, TRD bodykit, JDL spoiler, 2.0 16v turbo swap with forged internals, Apexi AVCR, Apexi intake, ST205 chargecooler, JP custom exhaust, Accord Type R Recaro\'s

jeffsimply

I find the 1ZZ feels more urgent from 2-4k than it does from 4-6.5k unfortunately...

4dvti

I rev my k20 to 7600rpm only and then shift gear. It doesn't make any power after that so why take it to red line. I am on a custom map, albeit not for my engine and mods, so the engine behaves differently to any stock/factory k20. With a proper remap though, i'm confident that the engine will continue to pull to the redline. As lee mentioned, you really have to drive these engine hard to get the most out of them. but for now, I've found that changinh gear at 7300prm suits the car best in terms of performance.
190whp/143wtq & 12.7s 1/4 mile- naturally aspirated on r888s.

Lee H

Quote from: "4dvti"I rev my k20 to 7600rpm only and then shift gear. It doesn't make any power after that so why take it to red line. I am on a custom map, albeit not for my engine and mods, so the engine behaves differently to any stock/factory k20. With a proper remap though, i'm confident that the engine will continue to pull to the redline.

You probably have a lower vtec point which makes so much difference (mine used to be 4200rpm). Also mine made peak power at 8300ish with a TDI North map.

2000 black Roadster - hardtop, 16" Rota Grids with T1R\'s, TTE springs, TRD bodykit, JDL spoiler, 2.0 16v turbo swap with forged internals, Apexi AVCR, Apexi intake, ST205 chargecooler, JP custom exhaust, Accord Type R Recaro\'s

Jrichards20

Yes I know what VTEC is. And I also know what the VVTI does and VVTLI does in the 2zz.

And also I never said that revving will kill engines off early, but driving less to the rev limiter will preserve the engine better than constantly hitting the limiter. I regularly track all of my cars so I'm the first to say I love revving an engine to extract the power out of it.

But the OP was querying why he was revving the nuts out of it. And unless they were trying to accelerate quickly, which I'm sure if they where trying to drive fast/keep it in lift to drive quickly.m, the OP would have known why the revs were climbing. I took the what's best for a Toyota engine thinking that it's normal driving. And revving the nuts off a civic type r and keeping it in lift through the gear changes will result in some illegal speeds very quickly. I know how quickly a 2zz is going in 2 gear in lift, so unless they where really travelling I would imagine there was no need for the high revs...
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

4dvti

Quote from: "Lee H"
Quote from: "4dvti"I rev my k20 to 7600rpm only and then shift gear. It doesn't make any power after that so why take it to red line. I am on a custom map, albeit not for my engine and mods, so the engine behaves differently to any stock/factory k20. With a proper remap though, i'm confident that the engine will continue to pull to the redline.

You probably have a lower vtec point which makes so much difference (mine used to be 4200rpm). Also mine made peak power at 8400rpm with a TDI North map.

Much lower than stock. The map was made by Romain when he was still at Eurospec2000 a few years ago. We've used TDI many time and enjoy a good relationship with them but I will probably be using Romain next time.

Lee H

Quote from: "4dvti"
Quote from: "Lee H"

You probably have a lower vtec point which makes so much difference (mine used to be 4200rpm). Also mine made peak power at 8400rpm with a TDI North map.

Much lower than stock. The map was made by Romain when he was still at Eurospec2000 a few years ago. We've used TDI many time and enjoy a good relationship with them but I will probably be using Romain next time.

Added graph now. I loved how that car drove, probably more so than my JRSC K20 if I'm honest.

4dvti

Those are some impressive figure Lee! Having seen dozens of k20 maps from tdi over the years, I would say that yours is one of the better ones. I have a few pdf graphs here from them myself, incuding a k24 that made 213lbft of torque, but later tuned down to 203ftlb. I just down know how to attach them my a post   s:( :( s:(

Tags: