Aerial fitted to bonnet

Started by Moly, November 30, 2015, 22:19

Moly

Hi all I am having trouble with my radio signal ,got one of them windscreen slick on aerials and the radio cuts in and out all the time so thought I would get the old electrical one going but appeared to have no power to that .
So then I thought how about fitting a colour coded shark fin aerial to the middle of the bonnet ,
Has anybody tried it ? Does it work ? Does it look good ? And is it legal?

shnazzle

There's a few on here who have got the windscreen aerials for DAB radio. I have one lying around that i've never installed. The normal electric one works fine.
It's most likely been disconnected due to being faulty (a common problem). A 2nd-hand aerial assembly can be obtained for little, fitting is a bit more of a pain, but only just that. The wiring might have just been disabled at the head-unit side.
Not going to lie, getting the aerial working is faffy, but delivers the best results.

Shark fin?...maayybe on the engine lid...
Legal, yes, pretty..no.
...neutiquam erro.

mr2garageswindon

what head unit is fitted to the car? I've seen before fuse F19  15 amp fuse blown (open passenger door on side of dash) this was due to a sticking aerial but that also should have stopped power to head unit. It didn't as someone had bodged in another live feed. I'd check the fuse, if its ok then check the wiring to back of head unit. Non genuine head unit fitments can often leave out the trigger for the aerial on the wiring. the standard aerial (when working) are really good.

Tags: