A green one - my 2000 MR2

Started by lron, December 6, 2015, 11:46

lron

I bought this on Monday, first chance I've had since then to see it in the daylight and take some pics. I wasn't sure about the colour when I saw the ad but I really like it now. I'm loving driving it but taking it easy for now since it's wet and I've never had anything remotely sporty before.

There doesn't seem to be any issues that urgently need sorting out so it's mostly going to be staying as it is until my bank balance recovers. I've contented myself with a Bluetooth stereo for now which I'll be attempting to install today.

Brig

Looks great and exactly the same as my car, it's a colour that grows on you I think, enjoy!!

StuC

Loving the boldness of the green matching hardtop.
Nice to see someone buying a pfl too.  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

MilesH

I know that car very well! It was owned by a friend of mine. He spent a fortune when the original engine gave up. I'm sure you know, but just incase, it has a later engine in it (2003/4) with relatively low mileage and a replacement exhaust system (incl Toyo Manifold). He also had all the rear brakes changed and (I think) a couple of new rear shocks.

I did the geo on it with a track orientated set up (as much as possible on standard arms and suspension).

Hope you enjoy it!

(p.s. is it still missing a small piece of plastic just below the handbrake? I may have a spare I can send you if it does).

lron

I did know about all the work done on it, it was a definite selling point. I haven't noticed anything missing around the handbrake but I'll have a look.

Standard

That's the same as mine apart from the air intakes have been colour coded.   s8) 8) s8)  

Quote from: "MilesH"(p.s. is it still missing a small piece of plastic just below the handbrake? I may have a spare I can send you if it does).

Weirdly enough my plastic thing below the handbrake disappeared after recent shopping trip. I'll would gratefully take it off your hands. (I'll pay postage of course)

lron

Installed my new knobs today, and a frunk cover.

Hopefully tomorrow I'm going to install Nathan's gear shift bushings, it will be the first vaguely mechanical thing I've done.

I also want to find some kind of easily removable glue, I have a Bluetooth media control button which was clipped on the steering wheel but gets in the way. I've moved it to clip o onto the left of the speedo now but it's not very secure.

Felix_5

Those knobs look great! Where were they from? I really like this colour, you don't see many about....

P.S just noticed they match your stereo button perfectly!!   s:D :D s:D

lron

They're made by widermuller on this forum:  l viewtopic.php?f=36&t=50422 l

Not cheap but they are handmade solid chunks of metal, and look so much better than the stock ones.

Felix_5

Quote from: "lron"They're made by widermuller on this forum:  l viewtopic.php?f=36&t=50422 l

Not cheap but they are handmade solid chunks of metal, and look so much better than the stock ones.

Are those the standard ones? I.e not the 'knurled' version?

lron

Mine are the knurled ones, there's a close up in the last post of that thread. Can't see the sides in the photo here. There's various other photos of his work there, he will customise them to some extent.

lron

It took me an hour and some scraped knuckles, but I've replaced the rubber gear shift bushings with Nathan's metal ones. Only went round the block to test it out but shifting feels more precise now. Also changed the air filter for a K&N one while I was in there, I'm not expecting anything except a slightly nicer engine sound but the old one was probably due a change soon anyway.

lron

Done messing with the shifter now I've put in the bigfoot mounts. Those and the metal cable bushings make a big difference, it feels much tighter and the gears click into place nicely. Also took advantage of the nice weather to try out one of those gummi pflege sticks on the door and roof seals. Should find out how effective it is over the rest of the weekend.

Tags: