What's with the Plates?!?!?!

Started by xdesign, December 2, 2004, 08:56

xdesign

Someone told me that license plates play a big role for a car!

I think he told me that in a certain period everybody runs to get new plates?!?!?! Is that true?

I also see that some people state proudly their plates as if it means something! Does it???

What's with the plates anyhow???

xdesign

No one knows what I'm talking about?

roger

Guess so!!

UK plates have a designation which changes every 6 months to show the age of the car. eg 04 = March - September 04.

For those who get off on it, having a new plate shows everybody you have a new car. Showoff! The downside is that Price guides go by these plates, so delay purchase by a couple of days will always see your vehicle valued at a better price. Thats why the rush once it gets passed the change.

The stupidity of the whole thing is that you can buy any plate (thats available for sale) so long as it does not show your car to be newer than it actually is.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

So if you are a w.nk.r like me (the Mondeo not the '2) you can have some personalised arrangement like your initials.

roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

crankshaft

Urmm, well in the UK, twice a year a new sequential number is released by the vehicle licensing authority to identify when it was first registered, so for a couple of weeks it is cool to have the latest released number, kind of advertisng te fact that you have a new car !

Is that what you are reffering to ??

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

xdesign

Yes that's what I'm reffering to!!!

I agree it's stupid. Maybe a way for the government to make more money?!?!?!

Anonymous

it always puzzled me to see the prices that certain plates were fetching in the back of Motorsport.....the uk system is interesting.....

here you can just walk into the DMV (dept. of motor vehicles) and choose what you'd like to appear on your plates, so long as no one else has it......

in virginia there are, iirc, over 85 different themes or designs for plates to choose from, and that of course doesn't take into account the thousands of different letter/number combinations you can choose from.......

mine are plain-jane virginia plates with the number "JPM F-1", which is fairly easy to decipher.  s:D :D s:D  

kev

Anonymous

the one i want is 10st , unfortunatly as soon as i thought of it, i actually saw it on a mini s. the only other decent lost one is ur510st , it looks good, but its £650 thats about $50,0000    -only joking lol. but my car is y reg so its a no no. The liencing laws differ greatly from us to uk, we have very stricks laws, and cars are easly tracable to their owners, and have many details logged about them. a few years ago, i regestered a car in my mums name to cheat on the insurance and get it half price, unfortunatly then i lost the log book, and wasnt talking to my mum, so that was fun fun fun, it meant i had to make up with my mum though, which was a good thing. the moral of the story is, dont regester a car in someone elses name!!

roger

Quote from: "xdesign"Yes that's what I'm reffering to!!!

If the numbers are unissued they even have the cheek to try and sell them, Auctions as well. Welcome to the UK governmental mind.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

For you non-UK citizens (very PC) have a look here

m http://www.dvla-som.co.uk/home/ m
Roger

xdesign

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "xdesign"Yes that's what I'm reffering to!!!

If the numbers are unissued they even have the cheek to try and sell them, Auctions as well. Welcome to the UK governmental mind.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

For you non-UK citizens (very PC) have a look here

m http://www.dvla-som.co.uk/home/ m

What???? I'm speechless!!!

roger

Quote from: "xdesign"What???? I'm speechless!!!

Aren't we all!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

roger
Roger

Tags: