I've just bought an MR2!

Started by Anonymous, December 2, 2004, 19:44

Anonymous

Greetings from Corfu Greece.
Well after dreaming about owning an MR2, reading so many favourable reports on the web, I have now taken delivery of my new MR2! I actually ordered the car without even seeing one - that's how enthusiastic the reviews were! I live on a small Greek island - already my neighbours have commented - I love your new car - what is it a Mazda!   s:? :? s:?  

Even the Toyota Dealer hadn't seen one before!

I've had the car for 5 days now, and am loving it. It's everything I imagined and more. But, it's been raining since I collected the car! I wasn't prepared for the tail end slidding so easily under a heavy foot. To give you an idea of the driving conditions here:

Remember the Bond movie - for your eyes only? When Rodger Moore had three nipples, went to drive his car (a Lotus), it blew up as a guy was trying to pinch it? Bonds takes girl's Citreon 2CV and rallies down a twisty road, flanked by olive trees? Well I live at the bottom of that very road!

So after 400km or so of driving, I havent been above 4th!

But, i'm loving it. What a joy to drive.

As soon as we get a sunny day, i'll drive to the beach and post some pics.
Cheers eveyone - I just had to tell someone!

Nathan
Corfu, Greece
Taverna Agni
http://www.agni.gr

so.simple

At least you know all the roads like the palm of your hand!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Enjoy your car, but take it easy for the time being... Drive like an old lady for a while, until you start to feel the car. Welcome to the club!

Any pics of the '2?
Carlos

xdesign

Agni welcome to the club!!!

Guys Corfu is one of the most beutiful islands in Greece!

Agni enjoy your rides through the greenary!!!

Me geia to kainourgio sou mwro!!! (That was greek)!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Efkaristo (Thanks)

Incidentally, something that made me laugh when I collected the car. The dealer did the usual things and showed me how the indicators worked etc!

Anyway, then he gave me the key, congratulated me on my new car, and then gave me a bottle of 'Toyota' wine! It struck me as slightly ironical. Is it only in Greece you get a bottle of wine with your new car?

hang on, I'll post a picture.

here we go:

Don't worry, I haven't opened it yet. I need to stay as sober as possible for those hair-pin bends   s:D :D s:D  
Nathan

xdesign

LOL that's very funny!!!

No it's probably only Corfu dealers that do that!!!!!

Anonymous

Today, my wife insisted that rather than spend the day driving around, I should do some work in the house (DIY). Amazing how many tools you can pack into a new MR2. this is becoming a very practical car!

This afternoon, she was treated to her first clean.  I have taken a few pics - it was getting dark though!

I just love it.

Darth Paul

Very nice!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Can we get a close-up of the leather on the doors? It's different to the UK leather, we don't have the stitching.

Anonymous

Yep, here we go:

When I ordered the car, choosing the Leather seats was a difficult choice as it added 1,500 Euros to the price! But I feel it was worth it. I am sure I could had them made cheaper elsewhere, but living on a small island, it is not so easy to find people who could do the work and be sure of the results!

I did not realise that they would trim the doors in leather as well, but they do look great - the photo does not seem to do them justice. I assume the gear knob and steering wheel are leather trimmed as standard?

Nathan

Darth Paul

Just the steering wheel.

heathstimpson

Welcome, Corfu is a great island for a 2. Top colour combination silver with black leather  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  As Darth says the leather on both the door inserts and seats is different from that in the uk. It's ruffled not pulled tight like ours; but we pay a little less for the option (about E700).
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

it is possible that:
a. it is due to the new leather in MR2
b. it was locally done in greece

Oh, and if the dealer ordered leather from Toyota as accessory, you probably would end up with many different options but they would have to be locally installed. I will check accessories for mr2 to see if there is option like this...

It looks very nice...

Anonymous

it looks great.....much nicer than the leather on my '01

kev

Anonymous

It was done in Athens. When I ordered the car, it arrived in Athens, and then I was told it would take 5 working days while they fitted the leather. Then the car was delivered to Corfu. Certainly a pleasing result, but I was told it would have an MR2 motif on the seat. If doesn't.

Nathan

PS, had some friends round to 'cristen' the car. We opened the 'Toyota' wine. Lots of jokes went round about what octane - I mean year is it; they could smell carburetter in the nose etc, but actually it was great. Since that, we finished of a few other bottles of other wine, so I have popped the roof back up and garaged the car for the night!

xdesign

Well Nathan, your car is very nice!!! I don't want to dissappoint you, but the Greek MR2 Club gets the same leather job for 550 Euro!!!

They do make it in Athens (Connolly) and then the dealers make a lot of profit!!! We get it directly from Connolly.

Anyhow, what matters is that you got a lovely car in your hands!!!

Enjoy it!

Anonymous

Xdesign - thanks!

I realised that i would be able to get them cheaper - I had already haggled the dealer down from 1650 to 1500!
The problem I suppose was the trip to Athens, then the wait while they were fitted. I could of taken the seats out and sent them by post! If though I hadn't of had leather seats from when the car was new, likely I would have bothered later - which would have been a shame.

Nathan

xdesign

Nathan, whatever you need from now on, don't hesitate to ask!!!

Cheers!

Yiannis

Anonymous

I have to admit that I am more than a little jealous of you having such wonderful roads on your doorstep.  Wonder how long it would take to drive to Corfu from UK?!

Anonymous

Mate, quicker than you think. It only takes a ferry from Uk to mainland, then a 1000km drive, then another ferry to Corfu. Full driving instructions can be found on our web site:

http://www.agni.gr/faq/driving_to_corfu.asp

Incidentally, what I really love is that there are no speed cameras or police to worry about. Also very few cars. Traffic (certainly in the winter) is almost unheard of. This does not of course give you licence to drive dangerously - far from it. The roads are dangerous, unforgiving and often rough. Only this afternoon, I was following my sister in law home, in her Suzuki, from Corfu town and it was wet. I was driving carefully as my 'stock' tyres seem to slip around every bend if the revs are pushed over 3000. We were nearly home when she spun out of control and hit an olive tree. Her car is totaled and I have just returned from the hospital. But, she is fine, and has learnt a valuable lesson.
When the days are sunny though Greek mountain roads are a joy to drive. Often I just go for a drive to de-stress. The 2 seems to have the perfect handling and gearing for our roads, but we do not have many straights. I've haven't used 6th as yet!

Nathan
[/url]

Anonymous

Of note, mine has air-con. Is air-conditioning standard on UK 2004 models? I never see it mentioned, and in a way was suprised to see it.

Nathan

GSB

Quote from: "Agni"Of note, mine has air-con. Is air-conditioning standard on UK 2004 models? I never see it mentioned, and in a way was suprised to see it.

Nathan

£900 option...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Air-con was standard on mine. But in Greece, the list price for the car is 29,500 Euros. The only options I could choose where leather trim, a twin exaust and a rear spoiler.
Nathan

so.simple

Quote from: "Agni"Air-con was standard on mine. But in Greece, the list price for the car is 29,500 Euros. The only options I could choose where leather trim, a twin exaust and a rear spoiler.
Nathan
35,000 Euros in Portugal. No air-con, leather or hardtop...
Carlos

Tem

Quote from: "so.simple"35,000 Euros in Portugal. No air-con, leather or hardtop...

Hey that's pretty close to our list price of 35160 euros  s8) 8) s8)
(with nothing, not even floor mats)

Options are:
Air con 2000e
Hardtop 2305e
Alarm 600e
Cruise 650e
Cruise memory +95e
Metal colour 330e
Safety grooves 25e
Radio/CD 336e
Radio/CD/cassette 387e
Radio install kit 25.60e
CD holder 61.50e
CD deck 370e
CD changer 625e
First aid kit 24e
16" wheels 266e
Hands free kit 219e
Hands free kit + speaker 299e
Cassette holder 8.10e
Cassette player 252e
Dash kit 168e
Rubber floor mats 10.50e
Sidestep lists 56e
Leather interior 1460e
Engine heater 142e
Engine heater wiring 60e
Alarm 424.30e
Valve caps 6.40e
Mud guards 106e
Interior heater socket 89e
Interior heater 79e
Rear spoiler 269e
Textile floor mats 43e
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: TemOptions are:
Safety grooves 25e
QuoteWhat are these Tem  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:? :? s:?

Tem

Quote from: "Andy S"Safety grooves 25e

What are these Tem  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:? :? s:?

Grooves near the windshield wiper blades (in the glass that is) that clear them when they pass.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: