Steves Black 2ZZ Swap

Started by ColleyV8, February 16, 2016, 19:06

ColleyV8

As i posted in the welcome forum, and confirmed by shnazzle I have bought an ongoing project that I promised to finish

It is a lovely 2000 MRS in black with most mods already completed, coilovers, brakes, hard top, braces, tie bars and other suspension etc

Here is the only pic i have at present even though I washed and waxed the car the only sunny day we had on Sunday, this is after it came back to its new home

The bonus that came with the car was a low mileage 2zz and 6 speed corolla gearbox, that is now situated on my engine stand in the garage (took longer to tidy garage than clean the car though)

I aim to modify the existing 2ZZ exhaust manifold and see if I can use the Scorpion exhaust that is fitted currently as it has a nice sound to it with the 1ZZ.

Only issue I have/had is, temp went to the top when running on the road, a bleed of the coolant at the front cured that, and the PS light comes on after a while, but I have a new pump, ECU and relay coming so will see if that sorts it.

Will only be able to work on it at weekends, but will update the thread as that happens
2ZZ powered Black MR2

shnazzle

Looking forward to seeing this one get finished, restored to more than its former glory  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Jrichards20

Looks good! Looking forward to the progress pics. So many engine swaps now there will be more 2zz and V6s than 1zzs!
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

ColleyV8

Quote from: "shnazzle"Looking forward to seeing this one get finished, restored to more than its former glory  s:) :) s:)

I want to get the new engine looking like a factory install, so all alloy and black powder, then to remove all traces of rust from components, main culprits look like brackets, steering rack, and bits like that, rest looks like a good starting point though

I do have this to install that came out of my last MR2

Plus I still have to replace the wings on this

2ZZ powered Black MR2

shnazzle

Oh my. I hope you're going to build up that engine with all that nos!
...neutiquam erro.

ColleyV8

When I raced in the Highpower Street Challenge, we ran NOS on the std Rover V8, and fixed anything that broke, that way we strengthened the bits that needed it and could concentrate our limited funds in the right place.
2ZZ powered Black MR2

ColleyV8

Few pics while I remember

The car at present

The engine ready on stand, needs a good degreasing and parts powdercoating

The lift bolts

Need to get the flooring done in the house first, then this will get my attention
2ZZ powered Black MR2

ColinC

Hi Steve, that looks like an interesting project and well beyond my limited skills, is it not hard to get parts and machining etc done out in your part of the world, which I recognise, from my trips to Kintyre.

ColleyV8

Parts aren't a problem, i commute to Glasgow most days, not much needs machining, just take the bits to a powdercoater and bolt back up

Just need heating in the garage over this side of the country

Engine mount has arrived, so need to clean up the engine on the stand, get the idler pulley and sump from a 1ZZ, so I can get it ready before the other engine comes out.
2ZZ powered Black MR2

ColleyV8

After along wait, got the car moved to my house with the larger garage, and decided to stop messing about

Then got on with removing the old engine

Had to remove the fuel tank to replace the handbrake cables

Ended up with this

Waiting for the subframe to come back from shotblasting, needs a patch welding on the top, then all reas to be rust proofed before changing cables and reinstalling the fuel tank

Still deciding what to do about a gearbox at the moment
2ZZ powered Black MR2

ColleyV8

Managed to source a nearly new subframe, so mine will be spare when it is patched.  Also found the gear selector shaft, reverse lock out etc for the C60 conversion, so all steam ahead hopefully
2ZZ powered Black MR2

ColleyV8

well progress made.  Maf cut down and silicone pipe and air filter ordered

took gearbox to get Las swapped from my 5 speed. it is a Celica box.  got a call to say they won't swap the diff. it already has an aftermarket quite dif in it ( result)

selector swapped over from 6 speed thanks the Dean at Rutland.  also got nearly new subframe.

wiring loom altered to add the lift circuit end tps wire swapped over

New clutch arrived

got an 02 boss welded in ready and moved sensor cables over to passenger side to neaten the wiring

about ready to put the engine back in. but cannot find definitive post on which coolant pipes to block.  with the photoshopgate issue. all the pics have disappeared.  any one able to point out which ones to block off?
2ZZ powered Black MR2

Tags: