Headlight condensation

Started by winger, February 18, 2016, 19:55

winger

Hi all,
I have condensation in both headlights,either after washing or after overnight in damp conditions.I have used the search facility but nothing really answers my particular problem.The condensation gradually clears as the day gets warmer but reappears as it gets cooler in the evening.I have read that on the rears some have drilled drain holes in the bottom of the housing to good effect but not seen this mentioned for the headlights.Obviously the seal has failed but I don't fancy splitting the unit,has anyone had any success by running sealant around the joint externally and if so what sealant did you use?
In the worse scenario,are brand new pfl headlights still available and at what cost?
Regards   Neil

beavisrules

If your lenses are good just remove all the bulbs and keep indoors to dry , on a towl on a radiator maybe?.
reseal the lens can be done 2 ways.
heat the whole light unit up as if removing the lens ,makes the original sealant melt , and can just be repressed in to use.
or a bead of sealant round the outside , like tigerseal.

used pfl lights go from 10-120 quids on fleabay , completely randomly.

winger

Thanks beavisrules,
Thats probably the route I will be going but was wondering if tigerseal would be too permanent in case I needed to eventually split them.I have never used it before but I believe it is used to attach body kits.While they are off I will attempt a machine polish on the lenses.
Regards  Neil

Tags: