Black 04 - Hext007

Started by Hext007, February 20, 2016, 14:47

Hext007

Purchased my 1 owner low mileage example in January, was going to keep it standard, but after reading about all your mods I'd like to modify mine now, much to my wife's dismay as its "her" car.

Id like to add the GB kit, when the side skirts have been made, and fit some Tein springs, although my wife thinks it won't go up the drive without bottoming out, as our drive is quite steep.

My ultimate would be a turbo or 2ZZ, so maybe I should have purchased a cheaper version and spent the money on mods, oh well live and learn, but I wanted a reliable model for my wife to use, and I get the occasional go in.

So I have carried out my first mod, rover 45 console lid, happy with how it turned out, just need to refit but pouring down outside.

Please see the following photo's.

Hext007

I also have the gearbox shift bearing kit on order, will probably add solid cage mounts, and looking at a short shift kit, any thoughts, does it make it a bit physical, only thinking my wife wouldn't like it if it makes it more difficult to select gears.

Topdownman

I would try to have a go with a short shift in someone elses car if possible to see if you like it as they do make the change stiffer. The ebay ones come with solid mounts although I just took out the rubber mounts and bolted my cage directly to the floor. There is the much more expensive TRD one too but I have not tried one of those to compare. Changing the gearbox oil is a popular mod to make the changes easier.

I didnt get on with the short shift kit with my 6 speed box although I am using now with a 5 speed celica box (plus a 5" gearkn*b!) which works well for me.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Hext007

How much of a difference did bolting the cage to the floor make?

Topdownman

It made a little as it takes out an area of possible movement (the rubber bushes). The rubber bushes mean that everything flexs a little before the gear lever starts to move so not helpful for the best possible shifting. If you have taken off the centre console before then its probably pretty quick to take out the 4 bolts holding the cage down , remove the rubbers then pop the bolts back and see if you can spot a difference!

Taking the centre console out for the first time can be fiddly as the front 2 of the 4 screws holding it in place are hard to get to with the seats in place unless you have a shallow right angle screwdriver. A lot people never bother putting the front 2 screws back in, the back 2 on their own are fine.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Hext007

Took the console out today, haven't put the front two back in due to future possible mods

Ardent

Had a short shift. Didn't like it.
Can recommend the bushings though.

Hext007

Thought I'd add a picture of exterior, not had great weather yet, so a pic after our initial test drive.

Hext007

Removed console again, took out flexi mounts and bolted cage to the floor, what is the advantage of the spacers, it won't slip? Also received my gear change bearing kit from Nigel today, will fit soon then that's all sorted.  s:) :) s:)

Topdownman

If you fit a short shift kit then the gearknob is further away as it is lower, it could be that they give the spacers to raise everything up so it is nearer your hand again?
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Hext007

Have been sorting out the garage today, so that I have somewhere to store the roof, still not much nearer, what with 4 bikes an Arsenal of tools for DIY around the house, third of the garage used as a utility room, a roof box , don't know if I'm ever going to get their.

Also at about 4:30pm thought I'd have a look at the gear change bushings, did the easier one before it got dark, looks as if I will have to take out the air box for the left hand one though.  s:( :( s:(

Hext007

Did the other one today, took out the air box lid, easier than doing the first one, happy days.  s:D :D s:D
Also ordered a roof storage bag, so should be closer to getting the roof off.

Hext007

Getting ready for ding day, gave her a wash and polish inside and out, just have to hope weather stays fairly decent as using all week for work.

Hext007

Daughter not well today so left at home to "babysit" thought I'd make a start on brakes. New all round in Jan, disks and pads, rear discs not too bad but fronts had rusted where they meet the wheel, also backing plates really bad, so given a bit of a freshen up, think it looks ok, I took it all apart to do and used power tool to remove corrosion, would have liked to have used deox c but as its a daily not really practical, at least it looks ok from about a mile away. See below.

Rear wheels (better condition than front, not done yet)

Hext007

Rear brakes are off, near side seized, pads down by 50% compared to the other side. New calipers purchased, cleaned up carriers and they have had their first coat off smooth rite. Rebuild next week after another coat of paint, pictures too follow.

Hext007

Ready to go back on, hope it stays dry   s:? :? s:?  

Hext007

It didn't stay dry, bloody weather, better luck tomorrow

Hext007

All done now, handbrake works as well, worst bit bleeding the front brakes with the wheels on.

Next jobs are to fit some Teins and the GB bodykit, have most of it just need the front spats, then there's a 2zz or turbo, that bits a pipe dream at the moment, think a 2zz would suit me more, maybe slower but I think a na screamer of an engine suits a light roadster more.

John is200sport

Excellent work on the brakes. Nice colour caliper choice too.

Hext007

Cheers, sort of livens it up a bit.

Hext007

Had another day of pottering about, ordered some cheap day time running lights/fogs from Hongkong, about £15. Need some fabrication, 6mm plastic ordered and cut out, brackets fabricated and all screwed in, next job wiring. Posts before says need to go off when lights turned on, but as my SMAX stays on and various others, just going to wire angel eyes to ignition,photos below.

CrazySX

And this is what it looks like finished  s;) ;) s;)

I only have the DRL's wired into the fog switch. Let us know how u get on with the fogs. I bought a separate switch and loom for them but haven't got round to fitting it yet.

You will love the DRL's I have had plenty of attention with them on. More of a necessity with a small black car than a show off mod. I feel safer with them on as people are more likely to see me.  

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hext007

Loving the small plate, took mine off while bumper in the garage, front bumper butchered underneath, I have the two large holes plus four other small holes where number plate screwed through, I was thinking of moving plate to the grill but not without a full repaint fix now, so will leave. Any unwanted police attention? Also can you see the led in your fog light, mines a bit strange looking?

Hext007

Regarding the fogs, was going to use original wiring, then run a cable(you only need a single core, as can double up on the fog light earth) from a point that goes live when the ignition on for the DRL's, simples.

Hext007

Just noticed your front lights, did you change the colour? Was it an easy job?

Tags: