Blondie - JK's Yellow 2000 MR2

Started by jinxedkitten, May 20, 2016, 18:16

jinxedkitten

Blondie (The Blonde Bombshell) Solar Yellow (576) 2000 (PFL) MR2
Proud member of the Urban Custard Collective   s8) 8) s8)  

Sometime in 2000
First registered In Glasgow, between Sept 2000 and Feb 2001

April, 2012
Purchased by me!
On a beautiful sunny day, after just a short test drive, I was hooked and knew she had to be mine!

Blondie came with:
  • 54k on the clock
  • H&S Quad-tip dual-exit exhaust (fitted Autumn 2008)
  • Zero manifold (fitted Autumn 2008)
  • Face-lift side-vents (fitted Summer 2008)
  • Carbon-fibre ball gearknob
  • Black Frenzy style bar
  • Markiii Pipe
  • TD Type LED Spoiler
  • New set of Dev's Keyhole covers (fitted Spring 2008)
  • LT kick panels
  • Clear Indicators with Chrome Surround (fitted Spring 2008)
  • Budget ditch-finders  s:( :( s:(

April, 2012
New front tyres as fronts were miss-matched and horribly cracked.

May, 2012
New Oxygen Sensor (sensor 1, bank 1)

July, 2012
Joined the club!
After googling for some info on replacing brake discs, I stumbled across the ROC and joined this lovely bunch of MR2-junkies.  Turns out she had been here before with previous member, Rachelle.

August, 2012
Brake re-fresh New brake discs and green-stuff pads all round & painted calipers bright red- DIY
Rear caliper and bleed nipples replaced on the passenger rear to sort handbrake & re-painted
Handbrake Cable replaced on the passenger rear.
Rear CV boot replaced on the driver side rear

September, 2012
Tow-eye cover that was missing on the front bumper replaced.
Windscreen wipers replaced.
MOT with 56,000 on the clock

October, 2012
Black hardtop acquired with fitting kit ready for winter.

May, 2013
Clay-bar for the first time!

June, 2013
Toyo Proxes T1-R all round;  front 185/55R15 and rear: 205/50R15, balancing & alignment

August, 2013
MOT with 63,000 on the clock
New front shocks on both sides
New rear caliper on the driver side rear to sort handbrake & re-painted
Midland Rendezvous attended as my first club meet   s8) 8) s8)  
Spark plugs, aux belt and oil change during a trip to MattPerformance
Rear Crossmember replaced with nice new waxoyled and treated one.
Main Cat replaced.
Clutch replaced.
Swapped gear knobs traded for a TRD one, think the carbon one ended up in T400X

October, 2013
New floor mats ordered to use as dailies and keep the OEM ones for special occasions
Osram Nightbreakers fitted for better seeing-in-the-dark

March, 2014
MP Chassis Brace fitted by Matt P
Handbrake cable on driver side replaced
Rear caliper driver side replaced (again)
Rebadged with screaming chicken on the front and TRD on her butt

May, 2014
Inner rear CV boot replaced due to leaking.
Headlights polished

June, 2014
Ding Day attended for the first time  s:) :) s:)
Widermuller Knobs in piano black to bring some interior bling.
OSR Inner CV boot replaced

July, 2014
Spare Key acquired and programmed as only ever had one   s:? :? s:?  
70,000 miles on the clock  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

August, 2014
MOT with 70,000 on the clock
Midland Rendezvous 2 with more sausages on sticks!

January, 2015
Engine Rebuild to sort oil burning issues
Alternator replaced to sort squeak in engine bay
Aux belt tensioner replaced to sort squeak in engine bay
Aux belt pully replaced to sort squeak in engine bay
Bosch Twin Aero wipers to replace previous rubbish ones

February, 2015
Oxygen Sensor replaced
Idler Pulley replaced to sort squeak in engine bay

July, 2015
Ding Day 2015 including ding removal.
Alarm move and spare wheel flipped.

August, 2015
Aux belt tensioner replaced to sort squeak in engine bay (again)
Idler Pulley to sort squeak in engine bay (again)

March, 2016
Handbrake cable passenger side replaced.
Rear caliper passenger side replaced (again)
Rear brake refresh new pads and discs

May, 2016
Frunk de-rusted and made nice again
Re-painted callipers as they had a few chips and the new one was unpainted.

Jobs to be done:
  • Replace destroyed rear caliper slider pins
  • Underbody and engine bay rust treatment
  • Further interior prettification
  • New Radiator
  • Lower Steering UJ and possible PAS pump - when this one dies
  • Suspension refresh (30mm lowering springs acquired)
  • Gear box oil refresh

TBC...
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

loadswine

Ace car, one of my favourites!  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

StuC

+1 Nige.
Not that I am biased in the slightest.

Blondie is a stand-up founder member of the UCC. To this Banana salutes proudly.  s:-D :-D s:-D
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Ardent

What did the engine bay squeak turn out to be?

Squeak rather than rattle?
I know the bearings on the various pulleys are not the best in the world.

jinxedkitten

Naw, thanks Nige and Stu, she still needs lots of TLC to get her in tip top condition though - when time and money allow!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

jinxedkitten

Quote from: "Ardent"What did the engine bay squeak turn out to be?

Squeak rather than rattle?
I know the bearings on the various pulleys are not the best in the world.
It was a horrible constant squeal whenever the engine was running. It seems to have been a combination of rust on some of the pulleys and a broken belt tensioner. The squeal has gone, although I am left with an unpleasant light rattly/knocking noise that, whilst not very loud, does rather affect her wonderful engine noise. (I am 100% sure it's not engine knock as it's far too quiet and with the rebuild only a year and a half ago, I know the big ends are fine).
Her performance isn't affected by it and I have some higher priority jobs on her to invest time and money into, so for now I'm living with it.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

jinxedkitten

So just ordered my very first part ever from MrT. Sat in the waiting room and have received very good coffee, biscuits, very friendly professional service and some rear caliper slider pins. The service nearly made it worth the £35 for a couple bolts and some bits of rubber!

jinxedkitten

Today I de-rusted the frunk bay.

Removed frunk plastics, headlights and front bumper.
Taped up all electrical to protect from water.
Sprayed frunk with de-greasant and gave it all a power wash.
Scrubed it and then wire brush and a another blast with the power wash.
Dried over night then unbolted, taped or covered up anything I didn't want to get paint on.
Sprayed with black and yellow Hammerite straight to rust.
Uncovered and rebooted everything.
Ta-dah!

I know the spraying isn't the best, but it's about de-rusting, not making it look pretty.

Also repainted all the break calipers red.

MR TWO

Amazing the difference from the first pic to the last... Welldone!
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

Swan_Connery

wow! Nice job! i know what my next job is!

justinread72

Quote from: "StuC"+1 Nige.
Not that I am biased in the slightest.

Blondie is a stand-up founder member of the UCC. To this Banana salutes proudly.  s:-D :-D s:-D

I am no way bias either but yellow is the best !

jinxedkitten

Ding Day 2016!

Today/yesterday at Dingday, with the help of you lot, we managed to:

Replace the chain tensioner (thank you Tony)

Replace the exhaust hangers, the old ones were all melty!  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  (thank you Paul)

Upgrade the gear bushings (thanks Nathan!)

Fit some Widermuller big foot ally gear cage mounts (thanks Andy!)

Add a little interior bling with Chrome Binnacle rings and sill plates:

And fitted a front strut brace:

Chilli Girl

She's looking great JK, nice to see her in the flesh at long last. I do like a yellow 2. Good to meet you yesterday, didnt like to hang abt too long as you were well busy.   s:D :D s:D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

justinread72

How does the gears feel with the changes to the cage and bushes ? I am thinking of doing that myself

jinxedkitten

I adore it!

Much more precise, notchy, and I haven't yet experienced the stiffness I used to have getting it in to first (that was sporadic, so may yet just not have happened, but I am hopeful).

I couldn't tell you which has more effect, the bushes or the cage mounts, as we added them both at the same time, but they do feel very good together indeed.

If you hate gear changes that feel like stirring porridge, like most average modern dull cars, then these mods are definitely for you.

jinxedkitten

Quote from: "Chilli Girl"She's looking great JK, nice to see her in the flesh at long last. I do like a yellow 2. Good to meet you yesterday, didnt like to hang abt too long as you were well busy.   s:D :D s:D

Thanks Jane!  It was really good to see you there, I'm so sorry I wasn't able to stop and chat for longer, I wanted to come see your Foxy, so hoping you will be there next year or at another event where we can catch up properly  s:) :) s:)

jinxedkitten

Missed a few updates on here, but today was a working on the 2 day.
She got an oil flush and change, a reinforced nappy (thanks Miles) and I painted her recently replaced rear brake calliper red again to match the rest.
Hurrah!

MilesH

Quote from: "jinxedkitten"Missed a few updates on here, but today was a working on the 2 day.
She got an oil flush and change, a reinforced nappy (thanks Miles) and I painted her recently replaced rear brake calliper red again to match the rest.
Hurrah!

Pleasure  s:) :) s:)  great looking car by the way, coming along nicely  s:) :) s:)

jinxedkitten

Thank you!  Here's a couple pics from today:

Tags: