My '00 Silver MR2

Started by Ceebe, July 3, 2016, 22:19

Ceebe

After a variety of modified cars (from all marks 106 GTi, Astra SRi turbo, Nissan S14a 200sx and an Audi 8L S3 - with some more mundane bits in between!) a new job meant more miles and so a diesel Volvo S40 has been it for the last few years. I decided I'd finally had enough and started looking for a toy...originally was looking at Mk2/2.5 MX-5's however so many of them are mostly rust at the cheaper I gave up.

Browsing eBay one evening I came across a MK3 MR2, not far from work. A quick view and a bid and I was the winner! Didn't meet the reserve but a few messages and we agreed a price... I was the proud owner of a 2000 Silver MR2 with a matching hardtop! Would have preferred red or blue but beggars can't be choosers and all that.

Only 86k but incomplete service history. Only had a few weeks MOT at purchase but it seemed tidy enough to pass; new MOT only had one advisory which was for weak headlamps. Most of the common faults are fine - no rust on the cross member, drains are clear, wheels are fine, pre-cats have been removed and, from the driving I've done so far, it doesn't seem to burn oil.

Very standard at present and no real plans for now, other than to address a few mechanical bits and bobs and enjoy it. What happens in the future is yet to be determined; it may stay standard or it may be modified in some way. Only thing that is stopping me turboing it is the fact that I can't weld and there seems very limited aftermarket turbo manifolds available! That and money at least... Will probably end up OEM+, I.e. Suspension, induction and exhaust.

Things on the to do list include:
* Good wash and clean
* Rattle from the tensioner which needs sorting
* Headlamps need a good polish
* B1S1 lambda sensor needs replacing

Will update with some pictures when I'm not on the mobile.

Based in Milton Keynes, so give me a wave if yiu see me around!

Chris

The Other Stu

I was about to get excited and say that I followed you yesterday on my way to Mr Ts at Redmoor, but then realised it was an 02 plate.

There's quite a few around MK - about time we had a meet.

Maybe we should meet up with the kids at Kingston on a Friday night   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Oh and to add, is the rattle definitely the tensioner? I had a rattle when I bought mine. Was the cat cover. They're terrible things and the bolts just rot.
No Longer Here

Ceebe

I see them everywhere now I have mine! I don't tend to go down that end of MK often, but you may see me about!

Is that where they go now? Used to be the hockey stadium when I were a lad.

I think it's the tensioner, only happens when warm,  quite regular and changes tempo as revs rise. I do need to look at the heat shield though as one of the bolts has rusted and sheared at some point so needs removing. The other one looks bad too and I don't hold out much hope of getting it out in one piece...

The Other Stu

Quote from: "Ceebe"I see them everywhere now I have mine! I don't tend to go down that end of MK often, but you may see me about!

Is that where they go now? Used to be the hockey stadium when I were a lad.

I think it's the tensioner, only happens when warm,  quite regular and changes tempo as revs rise. I do need to look at the heat shield though as one of the bolts has rusted and sheared at some point so needs removing. The other one looks bad too and I don't hold out much hope of getting it out in one piece...
As long as the holes are there, they'll be fine. Takes some abuse though. I've replaced with zinc coated nuts and bolts, but I still think they'll wear out at some stage. PITA of a place to get to too, particularly with the nappy on.

Yeah, they did used to meet at the Hockey stadium before it was knocked down.
I think they still meet at Kingston on a Sunday night. My lad is heavily into his cars, but he lives with his Girlfriend now, so no idea where he goes. Definitely goes out "cruising" on a Sunday night though - whenever he comes for Sunday dinner, he wants to be away by 8.
No Longer Here

Ceebe

A few pics - needs a clean but something to show what I started with! Will get some better pictures when it's had a clean and there is a bit less sun around.

Gearstick and gater are well worn - hopefully this will be a cheap replacement that will make a big difference in the cabin

Ceebe

First on the to do list (other than MOT) was a basic service; the service history was incomplete and so plugs and filters were on the menu. Good thing to do and gives me a chance to have a good nosey about.

When I dropped the oil it looked pretty clear. Taking out the air filter and plugs and was surprised, considering little evidence of servicing since the mid 00's.

Pretty clean, though not sure how they have been in.

No surprises underneath either - CV boots in good nick, no oil staining or obvious leaks. Rear ARB was pretty rusty and flaky - are they all like that and it just needs a clean up or do I to replace?

Do need to order a lambda and get that sorted. Exhaust heat shield bolt has sheared and is now stuck with no head, so that needs to come out first.

Topdownman

I wouldnt be concerned about the ARB, just a de-rust and paint should be all thats needed (I have yet to do mine!).

Worth cleaning the MAF too.

Have you seen the thread about Dong day in the events section? Could be a pretty local event for you?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ceebe

Couple more bits done a few weekends ago.

EML was on with a P0135, so had order a new lambda to sort. I can crimp cables (it's not hard!) so bought a universal denso DOX-0109. Not a difficult job to splice into the plug and cleared the management light, saving a few quid over the plug and play version. Id recommend to all!

Also changed the gearbox oil - I've always had positive views on Fuchs stuff so went for it over the Redline, which I know is a forum favourite.

Definitely overdue - the stuff that came out was horrible!

Coupled with change of gearbox bushings to the groupbuy bearings (no pics of these!) means the gear movement is now much nicer and way more direct - no more struggling to select reverse from cold!

John is200sport

My kind of vehicle diary. Getting lots of little satisfying jobs sorted. Looking forward to seeing more. Will be doing similar myself when I get chance.

Ceebe

Quote from: "John is200sport"My kind of vehicle diary. Getting lots of little satisfying jobs sorted. Looking forward to seeing more. Will be doing similar myself when I get chance.

Thanks for the words.

To be honest I'm still deciding what I want from the car, so am just trying to get it all serviced and at a good base for whatever comes next.

Still got coolant and cooling system, brake fluid (pads and discs probably too) and probably a few other bits. Frustrating doing it piecemeal but fitting around work and life means a couple of hours at a time is normally all I get!

Ceebe

First of the mods! K&N apollo filter came up at a reasonable price.

Started cleaning ready for re-oiling tonight but will be a bit before its on the car as still need to sort a MAF holder and silicone elbow to connect to the throttle body.

No rush as not going to install until I have refreshed the coolant and checked the pipes etc...reward for doing a boring (but important) job, I guess!

str160

Nice to meet you at the weekend Chris. Car looks good!.

Tags: