crazy plan for a roofrack - any thoughts welcome

Started by Anonymous, January 12, 2005, 21:25

Tem

Quote from: "j80rjo"What do you guys think.

Quote from: "Tem"I know it sounds bad, but from what I've tried, I'd say it's ok for about 30mph. And personally I wouldn't go faster even if the board was level.

Just think of it has a big spoiler, it's not really much more. And air isn't forced to go through the whole board, cause it can escape from the sides the moment there is some pressure on it.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

OK cool, that made me feel better.

After I converted the EUROS its about £350 all in.

I could get a 2nd hand van for that working for a CV company. But then I got the cost of another vehicle.

mmmm, what to do

heathstimpson

Quote from: "j80rjo"I could get a 2nd hand van for that working for a CV company. But then I got the cost of another vehicle.

mmmm, what to do
I would get the second vehicle as it would have more than one advantage. I personally think that the rack spoils the 2's looks and with a 2nd cheap car/van you would have a runaround for other eventualities  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "da monkey"

You should have some triangulation in the forward direction to stabilize it, but otherwise it looks cool. Can even be used to carry hanggliders, ladders, lumber, furniture, flag poles and whatnot so when you're done with it, you can sell it and probably make a profit  s;) ;) s;)

Cheers,

Lars J

SimonC_Here

[OffTopic]
Lars, can you change your Avatar pic to a website rather than the FTP site it is on at the mo. It pops up a security login screen every time I view a thread!

People at work are starting to notice!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
[/OffTopic]

Thanks

Simon

Anonymous

I still cant make up my mind.

Anonymous

Quote from: "da monkey"

I have another idea, but will have to think about it some more.   I wish I had welding equipment.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

DannyN

Could you not fashion some way to strap it underneath the car, so the point of the surfboard sticks out under the the front bumper like a tongue ??  

You would have to take the fins off therear end tho in case of speed bumps.

You could make a sort of tray to bolt underneath and then just slide the surfoard in, bit like a holster

what do people think ??
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

I think the surfboard would get all dinged up at the very least and it surely wouldn't work for a kayak.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I'm thinking of using something that latches where the soft- and hardtops latch instead of the front tie-down.  The top would have to be down, but if you are going surfing or kayaking, it probably isn't going to be raining.   It could be combined with the idea above, as in having an optional front section that goes to the tiedown or a different optional front section that latches to the top of the A pillar.  Attaching the whole thing with the front mounting point way up at the bumper would be hard to do without dinging the paint, wouldn't it?  The A pillar mounting idea would be easier in that regard.  The configuration would be incompatible with the hardtop, but then you always have the other configuration for traveling in inclement weather.  Heck, maybe the front section could be carried on the rack just in case?  I don't know... just throwing some ideas out there.

The drawing looks OK, functionally (could use some triangulation as someone said), but I'd rather have something that is more attractive... just putting some more angles in there so it isn't so rectangular would be an improvement.  It could come straight up from the back mounting points just far enough to clear the bumper, then curve forward as it goes up.  Same idea at the front.  It would look a lot better and be stronger to boot.

It would be expensive.  Darn it.

kanujunkie

good god this has been dragged out of the depths  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

i gave up in the end and just shoved the kayak in the pax seat and put a seatbelt around it, would have been knackered if it had rained though  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

broudie

Quote from: "kanujunkie"good god this has been dragged out of the depths  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

i gave up in the end and just shoved the kayak in the pax seat and put a seatbelt around it, would have been knackered if it had rained though  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
That works.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "broudie"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"good god this has been dragged out of the depths  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

That works.

yep when you paddle something along the lines of this

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Tem posted a link to it because I started a new topic.  Oh, and I did a search first, but did not find this one.  Wasn't sure if you even call the roof a roof and I don't think searching for roof and rack yeilded much results.  Anyway, I've got a better idea.  The heck with the idea of mounting something to the A pillar.  Add another mounting point up front... opposite side of the one that's there.  The existing one is a tad high and you have to pop out the little plastic piece to see the entire nut  (heavy duty, lots of thread depth, welded in place).  I think one could be added to the other side without too much drama, placed just a fraction lower perhaps.  Then there would be four nice and solid mounting points.  Imagine this.   Symetrical tubes follow the curves of the car pretty much, even allowing the engine lid to be opened enough to check the oil and possibly fill it (if not, add a remote oil filler in the decklid, which would be ubercool anyway).  They'd be pretty wide all the way over the car, narrowing some of course at the topmost part.  Crossed bars connecting them at the top.  It would look like kind of like an external roll cage and I don't see why it couldn't be bolted into an internal one if the top was down.  I'll do a artist's conception when I get a chance.

EDIT:
Oh bloody hell, the top won't fold with an exoskelton looking design.    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

glenonoka

Keep it parallel, and drop the front a few inches lower than the back and you should be fine. Gas milage may drop a bit, but the wind force will be pushing the car down and not around. A good side wind could still cause lift though. Be careful when you drive, the car is pretty light.

Tags: