'Chilli' - ramblings of a roadster owner

Started by Amarlborough, October 5, 2016, 16:53

Amarlborough

Been meaning to start this since the readers rides section opened. As I'm currently off work due to horrendous man flu I can see no better time than to get some posts up.

Initial posts will be historical then hopefully I'll keep them up to date, thanks for reading!

Chilli

I wanted a 2 seater weekend car to have some fun in and to do some touring. Initially I wanted an Elise. So I brought up the subject with the wife to approve the withdrawal of funds from our savings to buy said motor. This included a full on man maths excel sheet presentation and me explaining how we could drive to all the European cities she had been badgering me about visiting........ I got answer  sbollocks bollocks sbollocks !

Now no one likes to see a grown man cry, so to shut me up I got given a budget (£2500) to buy something. Yesss!

I researched the Mr2 roadster and liked what I had read. So I joined the club back in Feb 15. After posting an introduction in the new members section I very quickly got a lead on a members red FL for sale.

So I headed down to Salisbury. An hour into the drive I got a call to say someone had offered over the asking price but I still had first dibs at the lower price. Now being a decent chap I said I couldn't match it and to let it go to the higher bidder. Gutted I turned the car for home.

30min later I was heading back to Salisbury....... The bidder had not cleared the purchase with his wife so had to withdraw!!!.......Haha wife factor strikes again!

The car was perfect and Jane was a lovely, she let me spend forever going over the car. It had a full Toyota service history and a huge receipts folder. No oil usage, clean sub frame and new bridgestones all round. The only niggles where a dent in the rear drivers side panel and the pre cats where still in.  I paid a deposit and said I would be back in a week to pick it up.

A 5 hour - 240 miles round trip but so worth it.

A week later Chilli was on the drive.

Amarlborough

Once Chilli was in my hands I started with a full on valet(which looking back was ridiculous as Jane had kept it pristine) this gave me time to think about what I could do to improve the car. I wanted to keep it pretty much standard (famous last words) but a few bits stood out.

The parking dent and stone chips on bonnet
The dreaded pre cats
Headlights
Some of the interior trim was scruffy

Not much really seeming as the car was 13 years old!

Amarlborough

I didn't feel like I could tackle the precats myself so I booked Chilli into Pacific works. Luke sorted this for me whilst I waited, and was pleased to see the cats were in perfect condition before they where smashed to oblivion!

The manifold was then put back with new Toyota gaskets.

Next up was the dents/chips which I felt was spoiling the otherwise perfect paint work. So it was booked in to La paintworks to get it sorted. Whilst it was in, couldn't resist getting the flank air vents painted gloss back. Just to break up the red alittle.

Next on the list was smoked indicator lenses and head light renovation. Put a lot of effort into the head lights although they are still where not perfect!

After researching the forum I realised the car had ears! Rummaged around the roof and found the strap. After a lot of swearing I finally threaded the strap & the ears are history!  

A markiii pipe was ordered along with a blitz filter. Both are now in and the MAF cleaned along with an ECU reset.

After driving her around I decided to firm up the gear change, I got some ultimate bushings ordered.

Here she is after the paint work was completed. (May of gone a bit mad with the effects filter!)

Amarlborough

Managed to get plenty of driving weekends in. Even the wife had fallen in love with the Chilli and enjoyed driving her, although I did find it quite frustrating that she would change up early at 3000 revs and no amount of persuasion could I get her to change any higher leaving poor chilli bogged continually down. I guess that's what years of driving turbo diesel cars does to you!

Whilst we where out and about I kept seeing, then hearing other roadsters with a lovely exhaust note. Upon researching I discovered it was the fabled TTE exhaust. So it was added to my want list along with a Matt brace.

Next up on my to do list was to source some interior trim. In my head I wasn't happy with the condition of the transmission tunnel plastic. So I turned to eBay, bid and won some trim pieces I was after. Even better the guy was local so I arranged a pick up.

On pick up the fella took me to his garage to get the bits. Sitting Inside the garage was a Ferrari. You guessed it a replica based on a mr2 roadster.... Now I know there is a big argument for and against this kind of thing but for me it's abit naff.

Although I did feel for the guy, he had paid around £20k for this homage only to get it home and find that the original donor MR2 was a right off possible cut & shunt!

For what ever reason he couldn't return it, So he had brought another roadster for a donor to bolt the body kit too. The rest of the bits he didn't need where being sold off to try and recoup some money.

So of course I asked to see what else he was getting rid off, he took me to another garage which had a sable roadster in and sitting among the bits was a TTE exhaust.

It was in a poor condition but there where no holes. We agreed a price (£170 which I now know is a steal) and I took my loot home.

Had to buy new gaskets and clamps too.

After abit of elbow grease and paint it looked like this

All fitted by me was well chuffed, the interior plastic didn't go so well. The condition was actually worse than the stuff in chilli. So after a few YouTube instruction videos I attempted a repair with a hot gun and super glue. Completely  sbollocks bollocks sbollocks  it up and they ended up in the trash. But it didn't matter as that foray had got me a TTE exhaust!

Still got original interior it's fine so I've taken it off the to do list.

Sent from my iPad

Amarlborough

Managed to get a Matt brace in the last (& final) group buy.

It arrived, and in my eagerness decided to fit it that afternoon .....on my drive....on my own...with only 2 jacks hmmmm (hind sight is a wonderful thing).

Lots of plus gas later and with the rear end jacked up I manage to remove the bits that need to come off. Feeling confident I tackle installing the brace. Now I'm starting to realise it's abit of a fath aligning the brace up on your own. Lots of swearing, abit of body contortion and finally spreading myself out like a starfish (feet up & hands holding) I manage to get a bolt in opposite corners so it's holding itself on the car.

Decide on a victory cup of tea, after the tea break I crack on under the car. I start at the rear 2nd large bolt goes in....lovely. Next the little cross bar goes on, although I can't find my 3/8 ratchet under the car but it's ok cos my breaker bar is here and I have a socket that fits I'll just be real careful.....I shear the bolt off doh!

Cursing my laziness I gather the appropriate tools, think to myself I will sort that sheared bolt later and crack on with the front 2nd bolt to which I promptly manage to get stuck half way in then round off!

Arrrrgh!!!

Admitting defeat the next day I shamefully drop the car off at the local garage ask them to sort my mistakes and fit the brace. As I leave the echo of their laughter haunts me for the rest of the day until I pick up the car and go for a drive to test it out.

Whilst out Chilli throws me a engine management light! Just to compound my misery

Sent from my iPad

madman

hello
Nice looking mr2, what paint did you use for exhaust also could you pm details of chap you purchased exhaust from I could do with some parts myself

Amarlborough

Thanks madman, I just used VHT paint in a rattle can. Masked off the polished stainless parts and gave it a few coats.

All these posts are over a period of time, I'm just rattling them out till I'm up to date. The exhaust was back in July 2015.
All I got for him was a username via eBay. I'll see if I can find it but it's likely its all gone by now.

madman

What did you use to polish metal and was it machine polished

ad_car_08

That IS one helluva shiny 2nd hand exhaust! Good work!!
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Amarlborough

Thanks ad_car was really pleased with how it turned out.

I polished it with a whole tube of auto sol and a lot of elbow grease! just make sure where you work is well ventilated it can get abit fumey

Amarlborough

So EML reader was brought and the error turned out to be an 02 sensor.

So one was ordered, looking back through the paperwork and receipts that came with Chilli it would suggest these were the original sensors. 13 years later and around 74k I couldn't complain.

Next up the headlights. I had originally polished them  but didn't put a seal coat on so they had gone cloudy again.

Brand new parts are crazy expensive so I turned to that auction site again. At the time there seem to be a plentiful supply in the end I brought 3.

With the 2 on the car I had plenty to work with. I brought some Meguiars perfect clarity. Polished and sealed them all. Then chose the best 2 to put on the car.

And two for spares and junked one.

So the headlights were sorted.

Whilst the frunk plastic and bumper was off to fit the lights, I checked the radiator and lower steering UJ.

The UJ looked bad but it was mostly surface rust. So I took a wire brush to it then re greased. As a back up I picked up a 2nd hand UJ in good condition.

The radiator is ok, no rusting corners just showing its age but still serviceable. I will plan on changing for peace of mind.

Amarlborough

We recently moved and with the house came a much bigger garage. So I will be able to get plenty of work done when Chilli gets taken off the road over winter.

Decided to remove the badges from rear and a large dealer sticker in the back window. Put new plates on.

So that's me pretty much up to date. Chilli has started a scraping sound from the offside rear. Suspect brakes so will investigate. Got plenty planned so will be continually updated this

Chilli Girl

In a word Adam, brilliant! Well pleased yr looking after Chilli, awesome looking car, really great to read and see her again. Perhaps Foxy & her can get together in the Spring.   s:D :D s:D   Jane
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Amarlborough

Cheers Jane, It's been an enjoyable 20 months! Def up for a meet in the spring

Amarlborough

Ok I'm really seem to be bad at updating this, must try harder!

So the last post was back in 2016, just as Chilli was due to come off the road for her winter maintenance. So this update will cover 2016/2017.

I suspect the offside rear caliper was binding and this proved to be the case. So new pads, discs and fluid were ordered, along with some braided brake lines.

All 4 brake calipers  were removed and sent off to Biggred for a full refurbishment and paint.

All the nessecary replacement bolts, washers, slider pins and nuts were also ordered.

I also had at some point managed to get my hands on a genuine TRD short shift. This would go nicely with the big mounts I've had for ages in storage. To compliment these, I decided I would flush the gearbox fluid and replace.

The final bit on the to do list, was the lower engine mount.

With the to do list finished, I decided to crack on doing it!

First off was dismantling the brake system so I could send the calipers off for refurbishment.

Using plenty of plus gas there wasn't any problems and the calipers were quickly dispatched.

Then over the period the calipers where away, I set about cleaning up and dealing with any rust.

Once the rust was sorted, I painted the suspension and remaining brake components. Wishing at this point I had some lovely coilovers to fit, alas no amount of wishing made any appear! O well

The calipers returned. Can't recommend Bigg Red enough. So they went on to the car. At this point I was very chuffed and really enjoyed putting all new parts onto the car.

This enjoyment didn't last for long once I started on the brake lines! What I expected to be the easiest part of the refurb, descended into a blood pressure nightmare!

Won't go into too much detail but the jist of it was I could not get the HEL braided lines to screw into the cars female copper connection. After days of trying, much swearing and calls to the supplier to double check they were the right ones (told they were) I gave up and had to dig through the scrap pile for the original hoses. Sod's law meant only only found 3.  (:< >:)

Ordered a new hose and fitted the original 3 with no problems. New fluid and brakes bled meant it was finally done!

Some HEL braided lines are available for sale, never used and should fit!  ::)

More to follow......

shnazzle

Genuinely have no idea why some people struggle with these HEL lines. I wish I had kept my packaging to let others confirm the part number.
Mine went on no problem at all
...neutiquam erro.

The Arch Bishop

I bought some HEL lines for my old Puma, they screwed up ok to the unions and the calipers, but the mounting to the body bracket was wrong and I had to modify the brackets for them to fit and they were too long and fouled the wheels. The quality of the materials were good on them, but the design of them was lacking.

Stunning car by the way - great attention to detail!

wotugonado

Very nice mr2, your lucky to have such a large garage too, something to aspire too I suppose :)
Can I ask for the approximate cost of the bigg red refurb ? I've slowly collected a set of spare calipers over the years to have done by them.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Chilli Girl

Chilli is gorgeous - a really great example, keep up the good work Adam and hopefully Foxy will meet up with Chilli again in 2018! :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

s12vea

Chilli is one clean bright red roadster!
Another one won't hurt  .....

Amarlborough

Thanks for the comments  :D

No idea why the pics are not showing.

Credit has to go to Chilli Girl too, for all the hard work she put in whilst the car was in her ownership.

It's awhile ago wotugonado, I cant remember but I think it was cheaper for full refurb of calipers & carriers, powder coated red and fixings than buying new.

Topdownman

Lovely looking car.

I think there is some orange peel on the blue respray though...
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tags: