Alloy Wheel refurbishment service

Started by Slacey, January 24, 2005, 19:48

Slacey

As some of you know, there is a company local to me in Telford who manufacture and refurb alloy wheels.

I have personally had two sets of wheels done there as well as a number of custom items: Style Bars, strut braces and even valve caps!
Others have had wheels done and been more than happy with the result.

I have had a chat with KN about helping out with a slave set of wheels so that we can offer an exchange service.

If you make it to Telford, I'll change your wheels over to the slave set, get the tyres removed from your set and then deliver them to be refurbed (acid stripped, repaired if necessary, painted then powder laquered) in your choice of finish. I'll then collect them, have your tyres refitted and you can come back a week later to collect your new wheels.

To make this feasible (we would have buy a spare set of alloys) I need to guage the level of interest in this.

The costs involved to yourselves would be the refurb themselves (which will be discounted by KN) to £25 a wheel and the cost of remounting / balancing the tyres, which I hope to strike a deal on with a local fitter.

So, please do vote in the poll and we will see if this is workable, but bear in mind that KN will be happy to refurb your wheels regardless of whether this takes off or not, and remember they will take on most custom work too.

Finally, feel free to add your comments.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Sounds like a great idea for anyone within reasonable distance of Telford e.g. ME! There must be quite a few of us with flakey wheels.

Anonymous

Nice one on that Sean. I did speak very briefly to Mark about "borrowing" some wheels for this while at the decat meeting last year. He was up for lending me some, but I couldn't get round to it at the time due to money. There are few things I want to do to the car this summer and one of them would be wheel refurb, so would definately be up for this service sometime this year. Hope it comes off............

Liz

Pity its such a long way for me, otherwise I would be there like a shot.  I chuffed my front nearside the other day after having a immaculate set of wheels for years  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Liz"Pity its such a long way for me, otherwise I would be there like a shot.

likewise for me, although i may be able to use this on my way to go canoeing in north wales.  hmmmmm, got me thinking now
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

GSB

Same here... very slight scuff on my offside rear the other day, whilst negotiating a ridiculously tight car park entrance.

Its hardly noticable though, so I'll wait until the paint starts falling off and get it done for free then...

I take it that at repsent this idea only applies to owners of 15" wheels at the moment?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

If I can get hold of some 16" rears I would hope to be able to help out owners of all years  s:) :) s:)  

I really can't think of a solution to the distance problem at the moment  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

It sounds like a great idea that I'd defo be interseted in later down the line.  Just got to wait for my alloys to end up trashed first though.

Slacey

If I go ahead with this (and looking at the positive response) I probably will do, then it will be ongoing, so people can ask for it to be done whenever suits, be it next week or next year!

Anonymous

Thats cool. Kinda what I was hoping, cos I wouldn't be able to do it next week say...........  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"If I go ahead with this (and looking at the positive response) I probably will do, then it will be ongoing, so people can ask for it to be done whenever suits, be it next week or next year!

In which case I think it's a fantastic idea.

Tem

(replied unlikely for obvious reasons...just wanted to see the results)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

Even though its quite a distance from us with more southern addresses, the savings in refurb cost and being able to borrow some wheels why it's being completed is a big + and would not be offered anywhere else   s8) 8) s8)  It's a better option than running on a spacesaver and having one alloy done at a time eh  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Sean,
I have a spare set of damaged wheels two 15" and two 16", I have removed the tyres ready for refirb.
They where baught some time ago with the intention of fitting them to Sue's car but never got round to it. If required they could be used as the donor wheels and I can drop them off at your place anytime.

so.simple

Quote from: "Tem"(replied unlikely for obvious reasons...just wanted to see the results)
You know you could have clicked on View Results, right?   s:) :) s:)  Shame on you...   s:D :D s:D

*runs and hides*
Carlos

Slacey

Quote from: "David Watson"Sean,
I have a spare set of damaged wheels two 15" and two 16", I have removed the tyres ready for refirb.
They where baught some time ago with the intention of fitting them to Sue's car but never got round to it. If required they could be used as the donor wheels and I can drop them off at your place anytime.
That's very kind of you David, we'll have to meet up!

Tem

Quote from: "so.simple"
Quote from: "Tem"(replied unlikely for obvious reasons...just wanted to see the results)
You know you could have clicked on View Results, right?   s:) :) s:)  Shame on you...   s:D :D s:D

*runs and hides*

Yeah, I know  s;) ;) s;)  But I'd have to click that every time I read this...once I vote, I see the results automatically  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

alancdavis

As I have upgraded to 17 inch wheels would it be an idea to have my 15 inch wheels refurbished and made gold coulered or would the paint just flake off ??
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Anonymous

Can anybody give me the address and phone no. for KN Wheels....have tried a search....can't find it.  I need to get mine done.   After this bit of snow and salt on the roads, they look shocking !!
Thanks

Slacey

Speak to Ian on 01952-616066 and tell him I sent you  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Slacey

Thanks for that.  I've just phoned and spoken to Margret Long.  She has confirmed price of £25.00 + VAT per wheel.  Suprisingly, they're open this Saturday a.m.  Don't suppose you know any one locally who can remove and re-fit tyres?

Slacey

Quote from: "Slynx"Slacey

Thanks for that.  I've just phoned and spoken to Margret Long.  She has confirmed price of £25.00 + VAT per wheel.  Suprisingly, they're open this Saturday a.m.  Don't suppose you know any one locally who can remove and re-fit tyres?
Whereabouts are you? There are a number of places close to KN that can sort the tyres.

Anonymous

Slacey

I'm in Bristol, hence my lack of 'local area knowledge'

Anonymous

Might be a stupid question but I now have a spare set of wheels and wish to get them refurbished.  I want to change them to black, what do I do about the wheel nuts?  s:? :? s:?

Slacey

Finding coloured wheel nuts other than the standard anodised blue, red gold etc. is rather difficult - I wanted some gunmetal ones for mine, but never managed to find some. Let me know if you have more success!

Tags: