Alloy Wheel refurbishment service

Started by Slacey, January 24, 2005, 19:48

markiii

Quote from: "Bowman"Might be a stupid question but I now have a spare set of wheels and wish to get them refurbished.  I want to change them to black, what do I do about the wheel nuts?  s:? :? s:?

are you going for just straight gloss black?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Straight black gloss is my thought at the moment but as I'm not much good with Photoshop I can't really see what they would look like with Silver.
As regards wheel nut I might have to go for red to match the seats  s:? :? s:?

leon_in_uk

£25 a wheel for a refurb? or a colour change aswel? i want mine red gloss. to go with my seats?
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

kanujunkie

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"£25 a wheel for a refurb? or a colour change aswel? i want mine red gloss. to go with my seats?

if you do that then make sure you post pics, i've wanted to do that for a while, but never got round to it
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Slacey

That includes a colour change if you want it - not sure if they de red though, give them a call and ask for Ian.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Did anything ever come of this, mine are very badly bubbled, how much would they all cost to repair?

Rich

Slacey

I never did get a set of wheels to use as exchange jobbies, but KN still offer the refurb service.

Anonymous

Where abouts in Telford is this company situated Slacey?
I've noticed on my alloys that the front passengers wheel is starting to flake so for £25 cant really go wrong if they're on the doorstep!

Slacey

Quote from: "rob250881"Where abouts in Telford is this company situated Slacey?
I've noticed on my alloys that the front passengers wheel is starting to flake so for £25 cant really go wrong if they're on the doorstep!
They are in Ketley, behind the Citroen dealers. I believe the price has gone up to £30 per wheel now too.

Anonymous

Has anyone long term experience of the durability of repainted wheels. Is it the Toyota metal that is causing the problem, or is their paint system.? I am reluctant to get mine re-coated only to find the paint bubbles because of a problem with the metal  s:? :? s:?

Slacey

It's the Toyota paint - moisture gets under the finish and causes the corrosion. My KN refinished wheels are still immaculate.

Chris_h

Quote from: "Slacey"It's the Toyota paint - moisture gets under the finish and causes the corrosion. My KN refinished wheels are still immaculate.

The Toyota corp (including Lexus) approach to this beggars belief!

It must be costing them (or their supplier) an absolute fortune. I had imagined it must be a base metal issue - hence costly to re-tool, but for a small outfit to be able to refurb without the issues of the worlds largest motor corp astounds me!
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

aaronjb

Quote from: "Chris_h"It must be costing them (or their supplier) an absolute fortune.

The fact that they do nothing about it would say to me that it's costing them a lot less to use cheap finishes and replace the wheels of the (few) people that complain, than it would to use an expensive finish..

Lets face it, what proportion of people will actually take their cars back for this? Probably a very small proportion.

It's wrong, and it sucks, but I still imagine it comes down to economics - same as everything in business.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Chris_h

True Aaron, but seeing as the OEM supplier will bear most of the cost of in warranty failures, it seems amazing they haven't addressed it - especially when production margins for suppliers are so thin.

I'd have thought on the 2, especially in the UK market, it is probably running at a significant %.

Anyway - getting back on topic, its good to hear that a refurb should be a permanent solution, rather than a postponement of the inevitable.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

red_leicester

This is turning into the Thread That Won't Die !

I'm going to call KN in Telford this week, and also Pristine-Wheels (in MK I think but they have 'agents' too... although not sure if these are of the 'secret' type or the 'news' type  s:) :) s:)  ).

This is a long shot, but does anyone know of any other wheel refurbishers (preferably Leicester, Coventry, Notts sort of area) ?   Either a leave-the-car-with-them affair, or someone who just does the wheels.

Thanks.
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Tags: