Eagle F1's? Would love to but no one can get them!

Started by Anonymous, January 25, 2005, 17:38

Anonymous

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

After reading the tyre review I had my heart set on a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1's for my MR-2, I tried everywhere (including contacting Goodyear) to try and find some 205 50 15's but alas, they do not make them in that size anymore. I've been told to go for Dunlop SP9000's, Bridgestone Potenza 720's (much better than the OEM RE040's), or even Pirelli P6000's depending on budgets. Anyone else got a better idea?

Al

markiii

Dunlop and Pirelli's are crap, get the Toyo Proxies
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

i was told they don't make them in any size anymore
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

Proxies?

T1S or T1R?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

sorry should have said, the F1's i mean

but now you say it arn't they phasing out the T1-S's in favour of the R's?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

dieamond

try 123pneus.com they have some I think
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Darth Paul

I have Eagle F1 GSD3s....  s:? :? s:?  But I don't have stock wheels.

spit

Al, Like you I'm a fan of the F1s, & it seemed I'd have to go for Toyos all round to replace my current GSD2s. The reviews in this forum rate the Toyos pretty highly. However, my front F1s are still good and I didn't really want to chuck them.

Phoned around yesterday & I've managed to track down a lone set of F1 rears  s:D :D s:D .  Goodyear told me "no chance" yesterday, but I persevered through customer service lines at some of the major distributors & Viking came up trumps with their last two tyres. So, it might still be worth the effort if you're keen.

I've been pleasantly surprised to get 25k+ miles out of my current F1 rears. Am I driving like a vicar, or is this about right?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

GSB

Quote from: "spit"I've been pleasantly surprised to get 25k+ miles out of my current F1 rears. Am I driving like a vicar, or is this about right?

[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I have just changed fron the F1's to the Toyo T1R's and can't believe the difference. Traction in the wet is so much better than the F1's. Its not been dry enough for an evaluation in the dry. But so far i am very impressed. They have reduced road noise as well.

John

spit

Another piggin tyre thread resurrected  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

OK, so the problem is that the F1 GSD-02 hasn't been available for the rears (205/50 R15 W) for a while now. I've been onto Goodyear and they have no residual supplies anywhere in Europe  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

A chat with Technical and they confirm that the 195/55/R15 V GSD-02 is entirely compatible rim-wise and is just 8mm more rolling diameter, which is also well within tolerance.

Best of all, they're still producing them  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Legally there's no problem changing, although a phone call to my insurer to explain the situation is probably wise.

I really like the F1 tyres, they suit my driving style and you only have to look at the date of my last post in this thread to see how well they're lasting, even under uber-boost!! (and there's still about 8k left in them I reckon!)

But what to expect if I go for the 195/55? Any ideas?

Its either this or a full set of T1-Rs. Advice much appreciated.

Beowulf

I agree with you about the F1's I canged to them as soon as I could! Although I have not had any experience other than the stock (horrible) Yoko's that came on the car, I find them exceptional. I am grateful for the research spit and although I was considering changing to the toyo's I would prefer to stick with the F1's so your info is much appreciated!  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
Entropy always increces.

2001 red 46K stock (apart from de-badging on my rear (ooh err)) never had a problem in 5 years!  (touches wood quickly)

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"Another piggin tyre thread resurrected  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

OK, so the problem is that the F1 GSD-02 hasn't been available for the rears (205/50 R15 W) for a while now. I've been onto Goodyear and they have no residual supplies anywhere in Europe  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

A chat with Technical and they confirm that the 195/55/R15 V GSD-02 is entirely compatible rim-wise and is just 8mm more rolling diameter, which is also well within tolerance.

Best of all, they're still producing them  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Legally there's no problem changing, although a phone call to my insurer to explain the situation is probably wise.

I really like the F1 tyres, they suit my driving style and you only have to look at the date of my last post in this thread to see how well they're lasting, even under uber-boost!! (and there's still about 8k left in them I reckon!)

But what to expect if I go for the 195/55? Any ideas?

Its either this or a full set of T1-Rs. Advice much appreciated.

spit, just to clarify your question, are you asking what will happen to the handling if you fit the following:

front 185/50?
rear 195/55?

compared to what you have now?

Cheers,

Richie.

spit

Nearly....   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Stock size F1 GSD2 Fronts are 185/55 R15 V
Stock size F1 GSD2 Rears are 205/50 R15 W (They didn't make 'em V-rated).

Fronts are readily available, so I propose to stick with them.
Rears are not produced anymore. The Tech guy at Goodyear confirms that 195/55 R15 V are still manufactured and will fit within tolerances on the back end.

Question is, what are the pros and cons of going 195/55 from 205/50 on the rear?

Without sounding like an outtake from Gregory's Girl, do all those numbers make sense?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

realy bad idea ste

you will oversteer lots more, and with the turbo thast the last thing you want

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"realy bad idea ste

you will oversteer lots more, and with the turbo thast the last thing you want

What Mark Said!

Basically, you will be decreasing the bias between the rear grip and front grip so that the cars characteristics change from more understeer-biased to oversteer biased which isn't a good idea at all when running your kinda power (nor at stock power either I suppose)

spit

That was probably the answer I was expecting   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  - but please indulge my considerable ignorance a little while longer ......

My driving style is shamefully tame. The only oversteer I induce is in the lobbing rain: even then its hilarious controlled fun rather than threatening to let go. Prior to the F1s I was all over the place (N/A). Cautious driver's understeer has always been my bigger concern.

Don't misunderstand me - what you're saying makes good sense, and maybe I'm missing out on (& lacking) a whole new level of driving experience, but I'm still left thinking that this is a better compromise for me than a new brand of boots.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Maybe its just hard to let go of something that you're comfortable with. Will I regret a move to Toyos?

Anonymous

I would love to be able to comment on the toyos, however their still sitting in my flat waiting on my new wheels being refurbed  s:( :( s:(

heathstimpson

Quote from: "spit"Maybe its just hard to let go of something that you're comfortable with. Will I regret a move to Toyos?
I didn't at all; far superior tyre IMHO. I have found that I notice straight away if the pressures drop due to the softer sidewalls; thats all really.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

philster_d

Snap...

Same for my Dunlops   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

VVT-i

<<<<<------ = tyre fitter.

What to expect = A very noticeable decrease in handling.. FULL STOP.

Go for Toyo's T1-r or T1-s.. you will be better off. ~(says me who just fitted Yokohama Parada Spec2's  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: ) (will review them later)
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Anonymous

Hi guys,

hope you dont mind me butting in but, i have had toyos and eagles and they are both great tyres. has anyone tryed michelin pilot sports? as i work for michelin so now only use michelin and have found them to be very good (when warmed up!!!!!!)

mr2mark

aaaaahhh .... so many tyres !! I called the place who supply my garage with tyres today asking for "goodyear eagle f1 gsd2's" .. He explained that I would never get them ... he recommended "nct5's" never heard of these ...are they ok ??
    I just want some decent tyres for everyday use (for the rear), with plenty of grip in the dry and wet .. I like a bit of controlable oversteer . I currently have toyo proxes T1s's .. They are well worn out !! Always seemed excellent in the dry but like a family day out at the ice rink in the wet !! Am I best just sticking with these again or has anyone any ideas ???

markiii

stick with Toyos, they are way better than teh NCTs

Bongo

Sounds odd, my Toyos seem very planted in the wet. The stock yokos were like a dayout on ice. Very scary at times!

Tags: