2zz - why is my mpg so poor?

Started by cptspaulding, January 3, 2017, 02:36

cabbydave

Check the wiring on the tps as well

cabbydave

Check the wiring on the tps as well

cptspaulding

Tps = Temperature sensor or throttle position sensor?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

PhilMC

Is that the two wires that should have been swapped on the throttle position sensor connector Dave?
Ex-1zz and 2zz 2005 Roadster owner  \":flame:\" .

cabbydave

Yes mate

Alex Knight

Quote from: "cptspaulding"So I suspect that my ECU isn't reading the heater sensor circuit. & If that hasn't been connected correctly on the loom, then it's not a massive stretch of the imagination to think that the sensor circuit itself isn't connected either.
Going back to the swap chap prob later this week to sort my overfilling & another fault.

Sounds to me like the wiring isn't correct. You'll have to run a continuity test at the ECU plug on the primary 02 circuit.

cptspaulding

All fixed now!!!

It would appear that the chap who did the loom, connected the socket at the RHS (bank 2?) of the mani into the loom instead of the one at the gearbox side.

Drive up from Liverpool last night gave me 35mpg & no EMLs. Lift now also working as it should after snapped lift bolt replaced.

It's not particularly relaxing cruising at 4500rpm at 80mph on the motorway so as it's my daily driver I'll be getting the longer 6th put in once I have some spare cash for that.

phaeton

Quote from: "cptspaulding"All fixed now!!!
Good to hear
Quote from: "cptspaulding"It's not particularly relaxing cruising at 4500rpm at 80mph on the motorway
Easy solution, drive at 60mph, save more fuel & save the excessive speed for the track.

brettfield999

Quote from: "phaeton"
Easy solution, drive at 60mph, save more fuel & save the excessive speed for the track.[/quote]

Or 6 speed 1ZZ gearbox like me!  It does drop out of lift but 2800-3000 rpm on the motorway and averaged 40-44MPG on a European trip  s:D :D s:D
[strike]2000 Blue PFL MR2 Roadster with 187K, engine blown[/strike]<br />[strike]2000 Blue MRS, 80K[/strike]<br />[strike]2001 Blue PFL MR2 Roadster 131K, 2ZZ,[/strike]<br />[strike]2003 Silver FL MR2 Roadster with 81K now daily driver, 2ZZ by Headcase[/strike]

JoeCool

Nah, the 1zz gearbox kills these. You need the short ratios, it's just 6th that's stupid.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "JoeCool"Nah, the 1zz gearbox kills these. You need the short ratios, it's just 6th that's stupid.

This is true, no point having a 2zz if you have a 1zz gearbox.
See this is what gets me, you want more performance and then complain about the more performance using more fuel to get that performance.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

MR TWO

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"See this is what gets me, you want more performance and then complain about the more performance using more fuel to get that performance.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Not all of us though.  Fuel economy in a sporty go kart? You having a laugh or what?
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

cptspaulding

If folks are doing a 2zz swap for a track or weekend car there's little point in spending the money to swap over the 6th.

If on the other hand it's a daily driver (like mine) then it's bloody annoying doing 4500rpm on what ought to be a cruise. Then it's worth the extra to swap to the longer 6th.

cabbydave

Iwouldn't have thought you would get into top on the track so it could be useful to drive there and back. It isn't hard to put a longer 6th in the box you just need the puller, I bought mine from the satates I do have a longer 6th gear here if you ever need one

JoeCool

Yeah, Fifth-and a-half from the corolla box is useless - I'm convinced that the ONLY reason it is how it is is to squeeze about 5mph more from the Corolla T-Sport, because Toyota were engaged in a Top-Trumps top speed battle with the Civic type R. That explains why the Celica 6th is sensible - it wasn't engaged in the hot hatch market. Even on the Nurburgring if you're properly on it 5th is all you need, good well out to 130Mph. The only straight long enough to go faster is uphill enough that even the short 6th loses you speed.

I do want a longer 6th, I'm doing another European jaunt in April, but I don't want to shell out for a gearbox rebuild just for that. I'm the kind of person that if I tried to do it in my shed, I'd end up with an explosion of gearbox bits and no hope.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Alex Knight

Quote from: "JoeCool"Yeah, Fifth-and a-half from the corolla box is useless - I'm convinced that the ONLY reason it is how it is is to squeeze about 5mph more from the Corolla T-Sport, because Toyota were engaged in a Top-Trumps top speed battle with the Civic type R. That explains why the Celica 6th is sensible - it wasn't engaged in the hot hatch market. Even on the Nurburgring if you're properly on it 5th is all you need, good well out to 130Mph. The only straight long enough to go faster is uphill enough that even the short 6th loses you speed.

I do want a longer 6th, I'm doing another European jaunt in April, but I don't want to shell out for a gearbox rebuild just for that. I'm the kind of person that if I tried to do it in my shed, I'd end up with an explosion of gearbox bits and no hope.

Seconded entirely. 5th gear is absolutely all you'd need from an N/A 2ZZ on any track. FYI I managed an indicated 135MPH in 5th with maybe a couple of hundred RPM to go.
A longer 6th would be great for driving to and from faraway trackdays though  s:) :) s:)

Tags: